Scamp newbie questions -- any help greatly appreciated! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 11:28 PM   #15

Name: Charley
Trailer: Currently shopping
Illinois
Oh my gosh -- THANK YOU FOLKS!

That was simply amazing. I expected maybe a response or two within a few days. Instead I received helpful response after response including some PMs that echo'ed much of what was said here.

I will pass on this one and keep my eye out for a better one.

Thanks again!

Charley

Old 09-30-2014, 12:38 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Charlie I'm glad you're passing on this one but not suprised with the responces you recieved here. To many eyes here to see the red flags, glad you had posted the pics . Good luck in your search.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleypartanna View Post
I will pass on this one and keep my eye out for a better one. Charley
Charley, how about posting the contact info of the seller. Maybe somebody here is close by and can put eyes on the unit. I am curious about it, I don't think I have ever seen a Scamp that stripped down and featureless. Might be the "blank slate" somebody is looking for.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
The Ad for the trailer can be found at:

Fiberglass RV for Sale - 2001 -16' Scamp - Murrieta CA

and on CraigsList:

2001 scamp travel trailer 13feet with a/c lightweight - $5200 (murrieta)

Funny enough the same trailer was on the market earlier this month on Fiberglass RV For Sale and shows up as having been sold on Sept 16th of this year. Me thinks someone is attempting a quick flip.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #19

North Florida
Hmmm, ads say both 13 & 16 footer, and "ice cold A/C". I see no A/C. And what is up with those angled wheel wells? It just gets curiouser and curiouser. Seems like a lot of trouble to make a few hundred dollars on a flip.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
HA.... I am only 20 miles from Murrieta (my son lives in (Murrieta) and I have tried to contact that seller 3-4 times in the past week with questions. I leave voice messages and get no reply.... In as much as he thinks it's a 13' and has A/C, I went ahead and flagged it for misleading advertising and no response. But it keeps coming back. Maybe it's a secret message to someone???

BTW: Unless someone is a dealer, it's against the law to sell a vehicle/trailer unless the title is in the sellers name. No hot titles allowed.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #21
KSM

Name: kyle
Trailer: 1980 Fiber Stream
California
Hi there, I actually looked at this trailer a week ago in Menifee CA on Briggs Rd. It was listed for $4500. It looked pretty good but as it was the first Scamp I had ever looked at I didn't feel the urge to buy. When I called back a couple of hours later with a question I was told it had sold. I was immediately disappointed feeling I has missed out. Sunday evening I saw the ad you've referenced. I was going to view "that" trailer yesterday morning but traffic was bad and it was a two hours away so I canceled. For some reason I began having a hunch that something was up with this trailer. I looked at the ad again and actually recognized the license plate from the "first" trailer. Same trailer. I texted the original seller who said they accepted $3400 for it after I looked at it. So it's a flip. It looked decent to me. The AC is a portable window AC unit under the front bunk. Frame, door, axles all looked good. I actually wish I bought it first time round. When I texted the new guy saying I knew he was flipping it he cut off all communication with me.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #22

Name: Mr
Trailer: small
State
People tend to get a little cranked when they "catch" somebody flipping an item, as though they think the person should pass on the great deal they got to the next person. Flipping is a perfectly legit practice. That is basically what every store in the country does -- buy it cheap, and sell it quickly for a profit. It is only a problem when the flipper tries to cut corners or misrepresent the item.

It looks like there is some discoloration on the wall under the kitchen window, too. Realistically, if the title is clear, and the floor is solid, this is a buy, whether or not it is exactly as described. But, I don't see any signs of proper venting for a window A/C unit. That may be under the floor, but that can be tricky to make it work right.

For an experienced buyer, who knows what to look for and what paperwork is required, this could be good. For a newbie, I'd pass.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #23

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
People tend to get a little cranked when they "catch" somebody flipping an item, as though they think the person should pass on the great deal they got to the next person. Flipping is a perfectly legit practice.
Yup it is and I don't get cranky when someone trys to flip something & am not seeing that on this thread either.

BUT I do get REALLY Cranky when someone tries to rip someone off by claiming something that is not supportable ! In this case a trailer the age of the trailer!! Its not off by a year or two its off by a decade or two.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #24

California
And, moreover, the seller claims he is selling it "For his Uncle".

As mentioned earlier, "Flipping", without a title in the current sellers name, is illegal in California and, after passing through 1, 2 or as many as 4 owners, the buyer has almost no recourse if the title proves to be flawed. Moreover, if the registration isn't current, and there was no non-op paper filed, the buyer can be liable for up to 5 years back registration and penalties before it can be registered.

Most "Fippers" I have encountered, and I have run into a lot of them when doing RV inspections, are no better than a 4th tier used car salesman, and arwe not to be trusted.

That old adage applies: How do you tell if they are lying to you? Easy, their lips are moving.....

BTW: Maybe, just maybe, the current flipper got ripped by the last seller about the actual age of this Scamp .... As my cousin Vinny once mumbled, "If you live by the gun, you will die by the gun" ..... yuk, yuk.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #25

North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup it is and I don't get cranky when someone trys to flip something & am not seeing that on this thread either. BUT I do get REALLY Cranky when someone tries to rip someone off by claiming something that is not supportable ! In this case a trailer the age of the trailer!! Its not off by a year or two its off by a decade or two.
I was wondering if somebody did a great deal of work to an older trailer and somehow ended up with a title listing it as a much newer trailer. Such hi-jinx do occur. If it is a good solid unit it is no biggie but a buyer does need to know what they are getting into. Which sometimes does not happen in a flip.

There was another trailer listed recently that was pretty obviously a flip. The seller indicated it did not need much and mostly “just cleaning”. A couple of questions later it was obvious it needed much more than that. I don't think the seller was being especially deceitful; but he certainly posted it too quickly and sloppily without describing it accurately.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #26

California
Anti Curbstoning Laws

[QUOTE=Paul E Henning;485224]"Flipping is a perfectly legit practice"

Not so in California where that trailer is offered for sale. Unless you have a dealers license you cannot legally resell a vehicle/trailer unless it is titled in the sellers name. This also exists in many other states and is enforced to different degrees.

Google "Anti Curbstoning Laws"

And... when you shop in a store, you are usually buying something new at a given price point. Without profit margins stores could not exist.

BTW: They usually have to have a license and pay taxes to do that as well.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I was wondering if somebody did a great deal of work to an older trailer and somehow ended up with a title listing it as a much newer trailer. Such hi-jinx do occur.
Well looking at the photos of the trailer in question its a pretty clear it has not had all that much work done to it to justify it as a newer build which would be how one would go about getting it retitled to a newer year. 4 lug nuts would suggest its running on original running gear for starters. The cushion covers although not original are also about a decade old.

Do not think that putting in a new counter top, painting the old cabinet doors (which BTW were already done when the current buyer bought it) & zip waxing it would be enough to retitle it 18 years or more newer Although I am pretty sure there are lots of us here who wish it was enough
Old 09-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #28

North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Well looking at the photos of the trailer in question its a pretty clear it has not had all that much work done to it to justify it as a newer build which would be how one would go about getting it retitled to a newer year.
Don't go putting words in my mouth, I never said it was "justified", just that such is known to happen.

Tags
scamp