Scamp newbie questions -- any help greatly appreciated! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #29

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Until standardized 17 digit VINs started being use in 1981 almost any kind of change could be made, especially in the deep south and a few other states where trailers aren't titled after 5 or 10 years and a quick "Wink-Wink, Nod-Nod will do the trick.

About the only legal year changes that I am aware of is if you bring a uised motorhome into CA that's built on a previous years chassis and then it gets registered by the year of the VIN rather than the year of the coach build. The 1987 Sunrader I bought in Portland, OR, became a 1986 when I titled it in CA, but my 1989 Sunrader Adventure, which was built on a 1987 chassis, because it was first registered as a 1989 in CA, kept that year designation.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #30

Name: Charley
Trailer: Currently shopping
Illinois
Again -- thank you to all of the awesome people that chimed in! So I'm passing on that sketchy "2001."

Fortunately, a 2008 16' side dinette model has come up for sale at a local dealer.

Could I impose on folks to comment on it? I've attached some pics. The dealer is asking $9,000, which seems like a fair price given the excellent-looking condition and all of the features (toilet, shower, awning, fridge, A/C).

Thanks again!

-- Charley
Attached Thumbnails
2008_Scamp_Scamp_16___8_995.jpg   2008_Scamp_Scamp_16___8_995_4.jpg  

2008_Scamp_Scamp_16___8_995_3.jpg   2008_Scamp_Scamp_16___8_995_2.jpg  

2008_Scamp_Scamp_16___8_995_1.jpg  

Old 10-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #31

Name: Mr
Trailer: small
State
See? See? See? Just say the word "flipper", and people start foaming. Separate out for a minute flipping in general, and flipping in this particular case. Clearly this trailer is misrepresented. It may be intentional, and it may not be. It may actually be his uncle. But, there are a LOT of red flags on this one.

But, flipping isn't always shady. Even in Cali, you can buy a trailer (or anything) cheap, and resell it high, perfectly legally, as long as you maintain the paper trail. Buy it, title it, sell it.

If you are "in the business" of flipping, you are still required to claim the profits as income. Most probably don't, but some do.

As always, do your homework, respect your gut, and caveat emptor!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #32

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleypartanna View Post
Fortunately, a 2008 16' side dinette model has come up for sale at a local dealer.

Could I impose on folks to comment on it? I've attached some pics. The dealer is asking $9,000, which seems like a fair price given the excellent-looking condition and all of the features (toilet, shower, awning, fridge, A/C).
Thanks again!-- Charley
My Dos Centavos is this; given what I now know I will have cost wise in my 1988 Scamp 16 when done refurbing it, and that I now think I would prefer the side dinette over my layout 4, and that unit appears to have a large refrigerator and is in good shape, I would buy it (if I was you).
Old 10-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #33

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Again -- thank you to all of the awesome people that chimed in! So I'm passing on that sketchy "2001."

Thanks again!

-- Charley
It looks bone stock and barely used! It is the most popular of the 16 Scamps. Look it over good, do it soon, and BUY IT before it is GONE!
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I have rescued many fiberglass trailers with no intent to keep them.
Lots of work and expense with a small profit at the end.
Fun projects, happy buyers, and a chance to meet nice people and make their lives a little better!

Who doesn't love a Flipper?...
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...spart=att&tt=b
Old 10-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'd grab that one in a heartbeat, especially if the dealer stands behind it in any way. Looks really clean.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #35

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Get down there and buy it. Oh, you could always try to dicker the dealer down, but it looks to be worth every penny of $9000 and then some.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Old 10-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #36

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
"Flipper" Defined...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
See? See? See? Just say the word "flipper", and people start foaming. Separate out for a minute flipping in general, and flipping in this particular case. Clearly this trailer is misrepresented. It may be intentional, and it may not be. It may actually be his uncle. But, there are a LOT of red flags on this one.

But, flipping isn't always shady. Even in Cali, you can buy a trailer (or anything) cheap, and resell it high, perfectly legally, as long as you maintain the paper trail. Buy it, title it, sell it.

If you are "in the business" of flipping, you are still required to claim the profits as income. Most probably don't, but some do.

As always, do your homework, respect your gut, and caveat emptor!
--------------------------------------------

For the most part, those sellers that I would call "Flippers" usually do the following:

1. They buy the item at an unusually low price, either from an unknowledgeable seller or perhaps by even using NADA pricing (as was suggested on this site I am sorry to say) to drive the sellers price down.

2. It gets a cosmetic cleaning, lots of spray can painting over anything that looks suspect, a coat of tire shine, and is then sold with an ad that portends that it's "Like New", the seller has had lots of experience using the item.

and/or

3. The seller cooks up a story that they are selling it for a friend, relative, etc., etc.

What they usually don't do:

1. Retitle in their name or pay sales or registration taxes as may be required in that venue.

2. Update registration that may be out of date/expired.

3 Are clueless or silent about any safety issues that may exist, such as out-of-date tires, etc.

4. Know all that much about the item they are selling.

Another type of seller, that I call "Refurbishers"

Are those that buy, do moderate to major repairs, updates & remodeling, retitle and update registration and actually know something about what they are selling.

I think that Craigslist is rampant with the former "Flippers", I've run into all to many of them myself.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #37

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:

Thanks again!

-- Charley

Buy it! and buy it fast!! If its as good as the photos look its a good bet the only thing you will need to deal with to be a real happy camper are new tires and a battery if original due to their age - assuming the dealer hasn't already replaced them.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #38

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
BTW Charley the new trailer with the side dinette does not have the bunk beds you indicated you are in need of for your two boys.... just the rear bed and the side dinette bed. If they are over the age of 10 I am pretty sure they would be happy sleeping outside in a small tent though! Most kids are.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:38 AM   #39

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
+1 on the boys will probably like their own tent. In the event that you pull into a campground and it's late and pouring they can flip a coin for who gets the bed and who gets the floor with the sleeping bag pad. Or possibly depending on their size you might get two kids and an adult in the big bed. Have the one in the middle sleep with their head at the opposite end.

Flipping is fine but not being honest is unacceptable. Especially when someone drives for hours and finds themselves looking at something that has been grossly misrepresented.

Those Scamp logos are all jacked up. Too high on the wall should be a few inches below belly band and as someone else mentioned the street (drivers) side one is all wrong. The long stripe to the front comes off the bottom of the "S" not the top. The top of the "S" should have a short stripe toward the rear on that side. Older Scamps had the stripe touching the letter S but later models have a gap between the stripe and the letter. Look at the scamp web site which apparently the person who fixed this one never did.

Unless it was prep sanded to remove the logo "shadow" left by the original decal protecting the surface from weathering and then painted you would have arrived to see a somewhat less pristine looking camper than the pictures appear to show. There would be a "phantom" stripe and letters where the original decals were.

Given the age of that first camper, suspension and floor would both be suspect.

BTW- I replaced my axle with a 4 bolt hub so it would be original looking (and too cheap to replace my rims) but it's probably original on that first trailer since most would purchase the modern 5 bolt pattern if replacing the axle and since it is clearly from the 80's not 2000 that axle is probably due a replacement.

You dodged a bullet I would say.

Tags
scamp