Scamp or Trillium - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #1

Name: Lisa VPC
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Michigan
Scamp or Trillium

I know this has been posted as a general discussion before...but we are looking at a 1996 13' Scamp and a 1978 Trillium 1300. PROS and CONS?? We saw the Scamp and are going to seem the Trillium tonight. Thanks in advance for any help!

Lisa VPC
SW Michigan

Old 06-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Lisa, I am no expert on Scamps, but I will pass on what I know of the pros and cons of a Trillium.

The Cons:
There are three big jobs to be done with Trilliums.
1) The door sags, and needs to be re-installed, but this is typical of all fibreglass eggs.
2) The plywood frame around the windows rots and needs to be replaced.
3) The belly band eventually leaks. The fix is easy, but takes some time.
My First Belly Band Thread

The Pros:
- The Trillium has large jalousie windows on all four sides. I would look for one with a kitchen window and a window in the door.
- The interior furniture is glassed in. No rivets to leak.
- The more square shape gives a larger feel to the interior.
- The cab is relatively easy to remove from the frame 6 or 8 bolts (8 on a 4500) and the gas and electrical connections are all that is required to pull off the cab.
- Available in some kwell retro colours, like green outside, orange inside.

I am the owner of four, and counting Trilliums, so you can assume what I would recommend.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #3

Michigan
I like the Trillium cuz of the retro feel (this one is creme/orange)and the feeling of a more spacious interior. The trailer we are looking at has a window in the door and over stovetop. I know there was a recall on some Trillium frames...owner says some rust, but solid....What should I look for in the frame?How do I know if the door has been re-installed or window frames replaced? I know some Trillium owners have replaced the axle and added electric brakes....that's what we would eventually want to do...are axles easy to get along with other Trillium replacement parts?

If the camper is solid....how concerned should I be about its age?

Also...although many do not use stove top....I'd like to and I imagine the "rat fur" on the Scamp would absorb odors. How is the sound in the Trillium since the ceiling and walls are bare?

Thanks again! This forum is great and a place I will be visiting often once to help with whatever camper we choose!

Lisa VPC
SW Michigan
Old 06-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #4

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaVPC View Post
I like the Trillium cuz of the retro feel (this one is creme/orange)and the feeling of a more spacious interior. The trailer we are looking at has a window in the door and over stovetop. I know there was a recall on some Trillium frames...owner says some rust, but solid....What should I look for in the frame?How do I know if the door has been re-installed or window frames replaced? I know some Trillium owners have replaced the axle and added electric brakes....that's what we would eventually want to do...are axles easy to get along with other Trillium replacement parts?

Also...although many do not use stove top....I'd like to and I imagine the "rat fur" on the Scamp would absorb odors. How is the sound in the Trillium since the ceiling and walls are bare?

Thanks again! This forum is great and a place I will be visiting often once to help with whatever camper we choose!

Lisa VPC
SW Michigan
After nine years I see no evidence that ratfur absorbs or holds odors, the stuff is also stain resistant and water proof.
While it would seem that Ratfur would have superior acoustic qualities, I think any real difference would be negligible.
Age is not so much an issue , as care and storage. I have had 30 year old examples of both brands which were in solid shape.
What I will call the "modern Scamp" started in 1986 with the advent of reflextix and ratfur. Later ones increased axle capacity and configuration.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #5

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Scamp or Trillium....Absolutely!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Scamp having a rounded shape may tuck in behind the tow vehicle better. Provide a little better mpg from improved aerodynamics.

Bed can be a little tight, I'm 6'1" and I just fit on the inside of the bed, the outside having the rounded corners is too tight. Wife sleeps there.

That 20 year difference in age makes the care and maint. more important to the condition of the Trillium but if taken care of could be in as good or better shape. But since both are nice models buy the one that seems to offer the best price for the features and condition.

Then go camping, repeat as needed :-)
Old 06-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:

Lisa VPC
SW Michigan
Lisa

If the frame has been repaired you will see plates welded on the sides of the frame where it exits from under the body at the front of the trailer. The frame comes out and there is a bend there and it is at the bend that the frame was bad so the plates should be obvious. You can certainly find pics of the spot and repair by searching.

The door will either work well or will not and if it does work well now may not later. this is not a big deal to fix really to me.

Also the walls will not be bare in a Trill but will have Elephant Skin instead of Rat Fur.
You will understand when you see it.

I think the biggest difference will be the way the 2 trailers feel inside as I find the Trill to feel much roomier but others(Floyd) may not.

The Trill is very solid and I wouldn't let the age worry you. Anything in there can be replaced or repaired easier than you think.

Above all have fun,no bad choices here.

Ed
Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #8

Michigan
You all have been such a great help! After reading more on the wall finishes, rat fur vs. elephant skin (insert chuckle here) thinking about heat and moisture. I know the rat fur helps with wicking moisture from the Scamp....how does the Trillium handle? Also....quoting the owner of the Scamp we are looking at, " It gets really hot in here", it seems as if the ventilation in the Trillium would be better?

We are driving right now to see the Trillium!

Lisa VPC
Old 06-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #9

Missouri
Quote:
You all have been such a great help! After reading more on the wall finishes, rat fur vs. elephant skin (insert chuckle here) thinking about heat and moisture. I know the rat fur helps with wicking moisture from the Scamp....how does the Trillium handle? Also....quoting the owner of the Scamp we are looking at, " It gets really hot in here", it seems as if the ventilation in the Trillium would be better?

We are driving right now to see the Trillium!

Lisa VPC
The Scamp Rat Fur is actually a Marine Headliner and is Waterproof completely and does not wick water but it does seem like it would.

The Trill also has bigger windows and the entire window lets air in and keeps rain out. This was maybe my favorite feature of both Trills that I have had.
I remember sitting in both in Florida and the breeze was blowing so hard in them that I had to take the Mini Blinds and tie them up out of the way to stop them banging.

The Scamp sitting in the same exact spot rarely had that problem.

The ventilation is a huge difference now that I think/remember it.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #10

Michigan
We bought the Trillium!!!!! It was pretty much love at first sight! The camper is very clean and well maintained by all appearances. All original interior if which is in fantastic shape and all appliances and furnace work! It even has electric brakes that work! It's after dark and we are driving home. I'll post pics soon and want to thank everyone again!!

Let our journey begin!!!
Lisa VPC
SW Michigan
Old 06-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #11

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
We bought the Trillium!!!!! It was pretty much love at first sight! The camper is very clean and well maintained by all appearances. All original interior if which is in fantastic shape and all appliances and furnace work! It even has electric brakes that work! It's after dark and we are driving home. I'll post pics soon and want to thank everyone again!!

Let our journey begin!!!
Lisa VPC
SW Michigan
Safe travels hone and I'll wait (in)patiently for those promised pictures!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Trilliums are a nice trailer. The windows make it really nice. You'll see. Looking forward to the pictures. Raz
Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #13

Michigan
Tired to upload 2 images of exterior and 2 of interior (by previous owner) but could only do this one.

Lisa VPC
SW Michigan
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 04:29 AM   #14
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
That looks to be in very good condition. One suggestion. If you think it needs it, lubricate the door latch. It's a Bargman L400. They don't make them any more and they are rather expensive. Good find! Raz

Tags
scamp, trillium