Scamp Prices seem high lately? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #21

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nowak View Post
I have noticed that a base Scamp is now up to $8495 or package price of $9395. So we hope we can get the money we have in our '99 13 foot Scamp, when we decide to sell. Tony
Wow, I didn't know the price of a base model. We went over budget on ours and after looking at the cost of the trailer and modifications spent around $8000. That was $3000 over a guessed budget, but at least it was spread over two years. I'm not thinking of sellng, but at these prices I shouldn't have to much problem getting my money back. When I built it, re-sale was not in the back of my mind, just enjoying the heck out of it.
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #22

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Danny, yours is more beautiful and functional than anything off any assembly line! That makes your unit more valuable. I'd pay more for better function and comfort and is the only reason we're going new b/c nothing used exists with a floorplan we need. Where I'm surprised is sellers asking premium prices for a 30+ yr old trailer that has had nothing done to it and it's been sitting in the elements all it's life and it shows. Especially when the ad says the windows and vent leak or have leaked and need repaired. I'd pay $5-$6K for a well done trailer that met our needs (like yours, Robert Johans and Mark's caliber of work and I may be leaving our others but those come to mind) but I wouldnt pay $4500-$5K for something needing repair when the cost of new is less than $10K.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #23

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Thanks for the kind words Melissab. I'm looking foreward to seeing photo's of your trailer when you pick it up and start using it.
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Yup Alf I suspect next time we will see more green patches popping up across the country now that its been proven possible to get a seat in the big house. The greener we get the more my Scamp stands out as one of my better investments! Big chuncks of the far west also went blue to match the ocean for the first time in a long time (if ever). No suprise as one only had to look south to realize we havent done all that bad over the past few years. Yes seeing teal go so far out of fashion in Quebec was indeed a highlight of my evening!

I too am happy so many spent their limited gas money to get out and have a say in what colours they wanted our beautiful country to be painted. Now let the complaining begin!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #25

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Where I'm surprised is sellers asking premium prices for a 30+ yr old trailer that has had nothing done to it and it's been sitting in the elements all it's life and it shows. Especially when the ad says the windows and vent leak or have leaked and need repaired.
I'm not really surprised, it's a phenomenon I've seen play out over and over. I call it the "Me Too" effect. Some people cannot make the distinction that condition matters when they stumble over an example of the latest Hot Item.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nowak View Post
I have noticed that a base Scamp is now up to $8495 or package price of $9395. So we hope we can get the money we have in our '99 13 foot Scamp, when we decide to sell. Tony
Base price is for a pretty basic trailer, a nicely equipped 13 would be more like $12,000 to $13,000.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #27

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Glad I got my Scamp when I did. $3,500 seemed fair to me. It was in so-so condition, but camp-able. After spending a little time and money on it, I feel that it could sell for $5,000. With high gas prices and a weak economy, a lot of people are turning to less expensive family vacations these days. The only problem is that campgrounds are probably more expensive than people remember from 20-30 years ago... But still better than hotels.

People are also buying smaller vehicles... Even if they are still trucks and SUVs in many case, they have lower tow ratings (and most people are a bit timid about their first towing experience), so these trailers offer quite a bit of value. As Mike mentioned, if a nice one sells for $5,000+, everyone with a beater is going to try to get in on it. A lot of buyers won't be savvy enough to tell the difference.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:42 AM   #28

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
With high gas prices and a weak economy, a lot of people are turning to less expensive family vacations these days. The only problem is that campgrounds are probably more expensive than people remember from 20-30 years ago... But still better than hotels.

People are also buying smaller vehicles... Even if they are still trucks and SUVs in many case, they have lower tow ratings (and most people are a bit timid about their first towing experience), so these trailers offer quite a bit of value.
Agree!

Lately there are huge discounts on conventional trailers but not so with the FG units. This will keep the prices of used FGRVs high.

Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #29

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Casita gives a price list. I wish Scamp did that.

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #30

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon
Casita gives a price list. I wish Scamp did that.
I have a PDF copy of Scamp's price list. I could send it your way if you'd like.

Tags
scamp