Scamp Prices seem high lately? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Scamp Prices seem high lately?

Hey All. I regularly cruise the classifieds (I love seeing all the mods!) and have noticed much older Scamps (70's to early 80's) that are all orginal as in no updated wiring or converter, orginal ice boxes, original flooring/upholestry, no water tank or water pump, original axles etc and the sellers are asking upwards of $5000. Some even say the windows or roof vent (not even a power vent!) have leaked or still do and will need to be fixed and the carpet is stained, they dont know for sure if e'thing works etc yet they are asking what seems to be premium prices. Over the the last couple of years the trend looked to be you only asked those prices if the older trailer had some updates and was well maintained. With fuel prices and the economy is this really the "new" value of these older eggs or is it just wishful thinking on the part of the seller. I noticed they dont stay listed long and wish we could tell what the seller actually got for it. So is it just my imagination or are prices increasing rapidly?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Demand sets price. I was looking for an American made 1972 p/u truck to pull my 1972 egg, good luck with that, good shape and good running '72 trucks cost more now than they did in '72.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I have wondered the same thing. I ended up selling my Casita for only $7800 instead of the $9000 I had it posted at last year. THE FAMILY GOT A REAL DEAL AS IT WAS PERFECT. Then after selling it I realized I made a mistake. Next bought a Scamp at a much higher price.
My thinking is they are taking less than the asking price. What do you others think?
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
They also seem to sell higher on ebay than listings in the Classifieds too. I wonder if it's b/c buyers dont know where to look so they think they only way to find a used one is on ebay and are willing to pay.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ready to go trailers typically go for higher prices the closer to camping season. Lower prices in the fall to early winter because many people don't want to "winter over" a trailer... especially if they're paying to park it in a storage lot. Then again, more people look to buy in Spring than in Fall for the same reasons .... don't want to buy a trailer and then need to put into storage and have it sit.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The push is on to go green and reusing and use less are key to that, so no suprise the demand for smaller trailers is increasing.

In my neck of the woods the person who purchases a big gas eater to pull a big trailer (or anything not really needed for work) raises eye brows and will generate some not so nice comments from your neighbours. More often than not the children will be the first to speak up. For that matter just using a gas lawnmower instead of a push mower can result in negitave comments as well. LOL We also cant legally use weed killers such as Round Up on your dandilions either. Gezzz dont let the neighbours see you trying to hide using that. The use of generators in our Provincial parks is currently another hot topic - so it will be no suprise if they are outlawed shortly (except for medical use) as well. The times are indeed changing.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #7

Indiana
Carol, are you sure you're not in California?
Old 05-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #8

Registry
Greg didn't you know that Vancouver is known as Hollywood North for more than just our movie biz?? :-))
Old 05-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
My Canadian friends told me that in one Provence you have to get a PERMIT to buy a chainsaw!

I just bought a BB gun and noticed that the specs show it rated at 750 feet per second, but the Canadian model is listed as 490 fps. Must be another rule to protect the citizens.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #10

Indiana
No, I didn't realize that.lol
Old 05-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
In my neck of the woods the person who purchases a big gas eater to pull a big trailer (or anything not really needed for work) raises eye brows and will generate some not so nice comments from your neighbours. More often than not the children will be the first to speak up.
Do they also make not so nice comments about people that do not live close to where they work? I get a kick out of the high mpg car owners that look down on those with cars that get poor mpg. Then when you talk to them you find out that they drive twice as far to work each day as the low mpg owner, effectively using as much or more gas each week as the poor mpg car. If they were really green they would move closer to work. That said I have never owned a car with more than 4 cylinders and I live relatively close to work.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #12

Registry
LOL actually the average joe does not need a permit to operate a chairsaw but if you are using it in the logging Industry you do need to attend training and obtain a certifcation. This by the way is also common to the US per Answers.com you need a license to operate a chainsaw in US Wilderness Areas.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Do they also make not so nice comments about people that do not live close to where they work? I get a kick out of the high mpg car owners that look down on those with cars that get poor mpg. Then when you talk to them you find out that they drive twice as far to work each day as the low mpg owner, effectively using as much or more gas each week as the poor mpg car. If they were really green they would move closer to work. That said I have never owned a car with more than 4 cylinders and I live relatively close to work.
Yup pretty well - public transit is the only thing they want hear you use or you should move, It costs about $15 to $20 a day to park downtown so only the lucky ones with parking paid for actually drive to work.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
Many people do not have the availability to live near where they work. They have been laid off, there home prices drop and the only job they can find is on the other side of town. Then the gas company's give them the shaft, and the jerks for neighbors give them a rough time about diving so far to work. Some world we live in HUH.
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #15

Indiana
Yes what a world, It cost's almost $20.00 a day now to take the kid back and forth to school. That's using the Toyota don't even think about driving the f150. I wish I was driving back and forth to work, but what work, there is no work.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #16

Registry
Funny enough history has just been made tonight in that for the first time a member of the Green Party has been elected to our House of Commons. No suprise they are from coastal B.C.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
As was pointed out, prices go up somewhat in spring with the approach of camping season... because demand goes up. But at some point I would think that the used trailer prices would top out, based on what a new one costs. Paying 1/3 of new for a 30 year old trailer seems excessive to me... but apparently not to the folks who are buying and paying.

Who would have thought that FG would be such a good investment? Almost like buying gold.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:52 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Carol H...Yep we all know the left coast is starting to green up. The north shores of Erie and Ontario are blue but the real surprise is the Quebec orange!!! We may be totally blue in time.
Somehow I don't think the price of fuel will stop us from electing to, get out and enjoy the colourful "Landscape".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #19

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
As camping season gets closer there are certainly more trailers for sale and the prices do seem a bit higher than when I bought back in January.
There is a double edged sword here. While the season for purchasing is upon us the competition is also greater. Therefore the asking prices are not necessarily what the final selling price is.

Wouldn't supprise to to learn that some 80's FG units are selling for near their original cost when new. There are a lot of "Handy" people that can transform an older trailer into a thing of beauty. All they really need is a shell in good shape for their starting point. They have a place to do their work as well as the tools and knowledge. Parts and pieces can be found at good prices, if one knows where to look. Take the labor out and an older unit can be put into excellent shape at reasonable cost.. Problem is that if or when they decide to sell, they have to find someone that can appreciate their work.

For me personally, a complete restoration, with me doing all the labor, would seem overwhelming. But to others it may be an opportunity to create a masterpiece.

Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #20

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
I have noticed that a base Scamp is now up to $8495 or package price of $9395. So we hope we can get the money we have in our '99 13 foot Scamp, when we decide to sell. Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp