Scamp Prices seem high lately? - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #1

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Scamp Prices seem high lately?

Hey All. I regularly cruise the classifieds (I love seeing all the mods!) and have noticed much older Scamps (70's to early 80's) that are all orginal as in no updated wiring or converter, orginal ice boxes, original flooring/upholestry, no water tank or water pump, original axles etc and the sellers are asking upwards of $5000. Some even say the windows or roof vent (not even a power vent!) have leaked or still do and will need to be fixed and the carpet is stained, they dont know for sure if e'thing works etc yet they are asking what seems to be premium prices. Over the the last couple of years the trend looked to be you only asked those prices if the older trailer had some updates and was well maintained. With fuel prices and the economy is this really the "new" value of these older eggs or is it just wishful thinking on the part of the seller. I noticed they dont stay listed long and wish we could tell what the seller actually got for it. So is it just my imagination or are prices increasing rapidly?

Old 05-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Demand sets price. I was looking for an American made 1972 p/u truck to pull my 1972 egg, good luck with that, good shape and good running '72 trucks cost more now than they did in '72.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #3

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
I have wondered the same thing. I ended up selling my Casita for only $7800 instead of the $9000 I had it posted at last year. THE FAMILY GOT A REAL DEAL AS IT WAS PERFECT. Then after selling it I realized I made a mistake. Next bought a Scamp at a much higher price.
My thinking is they are taking less than the asking price. What do you others think?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #4

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
They also seem to sell higher on ebay than listings in the Classifieds too. I wonder if it's b/c buyers dont know where to look so they think they only way to find a used one is on ebay and are willing to pay.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #5

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Ready to go trailers typically go for higher prices the closer to camping season. Lower prices in the fall to early winter because many people don't want to "winter over" a trailer... especially if they're paying to park it in a storage lot. Then again, more people look to buy in Spring than in Fall for the same reasons .... don't want to buy a trailer and then need to put into storage and have it sit.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #6

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
The push is on to go green and reusing and use less are key to that, so no suprise the demand for smaller trailers is increasing.

In my neck of the woods the person who purchases a big gas eater to pull a big trailer (or anything not really needed for work) raises eye brows and will generate some not so nice comments from your neighbours. More often than not the children will be the first to speak up. For that matter just using a gas lawnmower instead of a push mower can result in negitave comments as well. LOL We also cant legally use weed killers such as Round Up on your dandilions either. Gezzz dont let the neighbours see you trying to hide using that. The use of generators in our Provincial parks is currently another hot topic - so it will be no suprise if they are outlawed shortly (except for medical use) as well. The times are indeed changing.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #7

Indiana
Carol, are you sure you're not in California?
Old 05-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
Greg didn't you know that Vancouver is known as Hollywood North for more than just our movie biz?? :-))
Old 05-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
My Canadian friends told me that in one Provence you have to get a PERMIT to buy a chainsaw!

I just bought a BB gun and noticed that the specs show it rated at 750 feet per second, but the Canadian model is listed as 490 fps. Must be another rule to protect the citizens.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #10

Indiana
No, I didn't realize that.lol
Old 05-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
In my neck of the woods the person who purchases a big gas eater to pull a big trailer (or anything not really needed for work) raises eye brows and will generate some not so nice comments from your neighbours. More often than not the children will be the first to speak up.
Do they also make not so nice comments about people that do not live close to where they work? I get a kick out of the high mpg car owners that look down on those with cars that get poor mpg. Then when you talk to them you find out that they drive twice as far to work each day as the low mpg owner, effectively using as much or more gas each week as the poor mpg car. If they were really green they would move closer to work. That said I have never owned a car with more than 4 cylinders and I live relatively close to work.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #12

British Columbia
Registry
LOL actually the average joe does not need a permit to operate a chairsaw but if you are using it in the logging Industry you do need to attend training and obtain a certifcation. This by the way is also common to the US per Answers.com you need a license to operate a chainsaw in US Wilderness Areas.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #13

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Do they also make not so nice comments about people that do not live close to where they work? I get a kick out of the high mpg car owners that look down on those with cars that get poor mpg. Then when you talk to them you find out that they drive twice as far to work each day as the low mpg owner, effectively using as much or more gas each week as the poor mpg car. If they were really green they would move closer to work. That said I have never owned a car with more than 4 cylinders and I live relatively close to work.
Yup pretty well - public transit is the only thing they want hear you use or you should move, It costs about $15 to $20 a day to park downtown so only the lucky ones with parking paid for actually drive to work.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #14

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1981 13' Burro project/ 2008 Chevy Colorado extended cab
Minnesota
Registry
Many people do not have the availability to live near where they work. They have been laid off, there home prices drop and the only job they can find is on the other side of town. Then the gas company's give them the shaft, and the jerks for neighbors give them a rough time about diving so far to work. Some world we live in HUH.

Tags
scamp