Scamp Quality Problems? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #15

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
I think some people confuse maintenance issues with manufacturing defects or quality issues . I have replaced various minor items on my Scamp ( rivets , flooring , a light fixture , weather stripping ) My trailer is a 1999 Scamp and has held up well . Find me anything that you haul down the road and that sits out in the bright sun or heavy rains that does not need occasional maintenance . I think some people believe that a product should come from the factory absolutely perfect and remain that way forever with no effort on their part

Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #16

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I have owned my Scamp 13Deluxe for nine years now.
I have never been more satisfied with any product I have owned.
I have also owned several makes of fiberglass trailers, including some 30 year old Scamps. I prefer the Scamp, which stands out in a crowd fine products.
Support from Scamp has been unparalleled whenever I have had a need for a part or advice for any of the Scamp trailers I have bought for rehab.
They are more of a family friend than a company to me.
Unfortunately, the fellow who often showed the trailers passed away a couple of weeks ago. Having a reputation as a bit of a curmudgeon,he was likely the object of scorn which was mentioned in your concerns. I liked him myself, and found him to be a fine fellow,RIP.
You will certainly be greeted by someone else when you go to take delivery of one of the finest and "funnest" products you will ever own.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #17

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Scamp Quality

I've owned a Scamp 13' for over 7 years. I purchased it new. As with anything there's going to be maintenance issues and there's going to be violated expectations. These are not necessarily Scamp issues, some are expected like bearings needing packing and tires needing to be replaced.
Then there's value which I measure by $1.00 spent vs fun. I'm not sure you can beat Scamp there. The initial cost is low compared to other fiberglass trailers, upkeep is about the same.
Customer service from my experience has been as good as it gets. Kent Eveland, the owner seems to be able to take the time to talk to you and answer any questions you might have. I talked to him when it about time to replace my tires. The original tires were no longer manufactured so I wanted to have some straight from the horse's mouth information.
I've heard that they might or might not answer emails. Kent has always preferred to deal over the phone, wanting to talk to his customers rather than type letters. More information can be conveyed by voice than typed word.

Final word, go for it.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryork View Post
We are getting ready to buy a Scamp 13.
Yet we scared away when we we read online posts that refer to many problems, 13" wheels aren't good, things not right when they come from the factory, poor construction, poor attitude at factory regarding customer service, poor fiberglass, leaky water tanks, difficult to remove tanks if repairs needed, rivets not good etc etc.

On the other hand we see that there are many Scamps and presume that owners are satisfied. We plan on touring the Western United States - national parks etc.

What are your thoughts? Thank you very much.
I have owned many Scamps as well as other fiberglass trailers.
The most trips were in my 2003 Scamp 16' SD.
In the 15 or 20,000 miles I never had a wheel or tire problem with the 13" wheels.
If you remove about 10 easily accessable screws you can easily remove the left fiberglass bench to get at the water tank. Might take you 15 minutes.

There is NOTHING wrong with a product,rivets, that keeps a travel trailer together for 30 or 35 years.
The snap caps should be replace as soon as the are damaged. It's easy they simply snap on.

Since I retired my hobby has been restoring fiberglass trailers.
The only problems I have had with the fiberglass is where the rivets have been replaced with nuts and bolts.
Bolts have a tendency to be over tightened and don't allow the fiberglass body to flex.

THe only thing you have correct is their parts dept. is rude and their shipping is sometimes more than the cosy of the parts you order.
Most of the generic parts can be bought online or ar a RV dealer and you don't have to put up with the rudeness or high shipping costs.

The best thing to say about Scamp is they have to be a good product or they would not still be in business after all of these years.

Like anything humans put together there may be minor problems but from what I have read here they are very cooperative and will send you to an RV dealer to have the problems fixed immediately at their expense.

There are a lot of inexperienced, wannabe trailer engineers or technicians on this board who have a tendency to over think and compound simple problems.

If you order one make sure you get brakes and ALL of the extra cabinets available.

You will not be dissappointed with a Scamp!

John
Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #19

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
My experience has been that when you read reviews about griping its only those 1%ers who knock the product and go online to say something (not that its a bad thing if done correctly to educate others) but the other 99% of the people if they are happy then they usually dont respond.
IMO they would not exist today if a company put out crap.
I totally agree. The online reviews of most anything are composed of people who are dissatisfied.

If you are nervous, go see a few in person.

CindyL
Old 05-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #20

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I totally agree. The online reviews of most anything are composed of people who are dissatisfied. ..........
CindyL
Good point. Go to Amazon and find a product that you own and love. Read the most negative reviews. Sometimes I wonder if they own the same product.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #21

Name: Eleanor
Trailer: Currently shopping
California
Thank you very much. you helped us decide on a Scamp. Now we are wavering between the Scam 16 Floor plan 4 and a 13 foot. We would tow it with a 6 cylinder Lexus
RX 330.
Eleanor
Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #22

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 16 Layout 4
New York
After initially looking hard at the 13, we wound up going with the 16 layout 4. The extra counter space is nice, as is the bath, if we need it for an emergency. We towed it from MN to NY two weeks ago and no issues towing it with a 6 cyl Kia Sedona minivan. We spent 5 nights in it on the way home and are very happy with the Scamp model we decided on.

Ken
Old 05-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #23

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Are you looking at a new or used scamp 13? If new and can wait, americanboler hopefully will come out this year? Can call and ask them.
"American Boler" is just an idea, represented by an incomplete drawing, not an actual product. At last report as I recall, there is not even a prototype. I think life is too short to wait for things that probably won't even happen; better an imperfect but good enough Scamp (or any other brand) enjoyed today than a wish maybe fulfilled some day.

If there is an update on the Zephyr proposed by "American Boler" I would be interested, but this thread probably isn't the place for it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #24

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Congratulations! You will not be sorry that you went with the longer camper. Lots of us (Guilty!) bought smaller and then ended up trading it in for a larger camper with a bathroom. The bathroom and additional space can save a marriage. No, we don't use the bathroom all the time and have used the shower a grand total of two times in the 5 years we had it, but still, having it is a wonderful thing. While our toilet is a porta-potty toilet, at 2:30 AM, it is a GOLD porta-potty. And, last weekend, it was great to drive past all the lineup of those at the dumpster station to exit the campground. I wish we had even more living space, but in a pinch, there is space for both of us. The 13' was kind of cosy.

CindyL
Old 05-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #25

Name: Eleanor
Trailer: Currently shopping
California
Thank you. We are now convinced that a Scamp is the very best choice and are trying to decide between a 13 and 16 floor plan 4.
We will be towing it with a Lexus RX 330. So you have any idea if this would be OK.
We know what the dry weight is, but what is the true weight and other issues that could adversely affect towing with this Lexus. The towing capacity is 3500 pounds.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Eleanor, be sure to check out Trailer Weights in the Real World Although the information is subjective based on what the owners "need" to go camping, it's useful in many ways unlike taking a shot in the dark when you think you know what a trailer may weigh.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
My 16' scamp with bath and a side dinette weighed a little over 2500 pounds ready for a long trip.
That included dual propane tanks, a solar system with a deep cycle group 29 battery and a full water tank.
My 2007 Toyota Tacoma 4cyl towed it comfortably.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #28

Name: Richard
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2011
California
I bought a 2011 Scamp 13 a few months ago and like it very much for solo use. If you are getting one with a bath and shower keep in mind that the bed is pretty narrow for 2 people and there is no other sleeping place. I would try out the bed width first marking it out on your bed at home.

Quality seems good but some things are done pretty basically. Wiring is often exposed in closets and cupboards and could get damaged for example.

The 12 gallon water tank is very minimal with the sink, toilet, and shower. If you are not in a campground with water hookups you will need to haul water to replenish the supply.

If either of you is tall it is good to know that the interior height is represented at 6' 3" but it is actually a few inches less.

Be sure to order extra lighting and 12V and 110 plugs. I installed a stainless steel stove cover which you can order with the trailer. It gives valuable working space if you are not using the stove and keeps the stove cleaner.

Tags
scamp