Scamp Quality Problems? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #21

Name: Eleanor
Trailer: Bigfoot TT
California
Thank you very much. you helped us decide on a Scamp. Now we are wavering between the Scam 16 Floor plan 4 and a 13 foot. We would tow it with a 6 cylinder Lexus
RX 330.
Eleanor
eryork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #22

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 16 Layout 4
New York
After initially looking hard at the 13, we wound up going with the 16 layout 4. The extra counter space is nice, as is the bath, if we need it for an emergency. We towed it from MN to NY two weeks ago and no issues towing it with a 6 cyl Kia Sedona minivan. We spent 5 nights in it on the way home and are very happy with the Scamp model we decided on.

Ken
kenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #23

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Are you looking at a new or used scamp 13? If new and can wait, americanboler hopefully will come out this year? Can call and ask them.
"American Boler" is just an idea, represented by an incomplete drawing, not an actual product. At last report as I recall, there is not even a prototype. I think life is too short to wait for things that probably won't even happen; better an imperfect but good enough Scamp (or any other brand) enjoyed today than a wish maybe fulfilled some day.

If there is an update on the Zephyr proposed by "American Boler" I would be interested, but this thread probably isn't the place for it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Congratulations! You will not be sorry that you went with the longer camper. Lots of us (Guilty!) bought smaller and then ended up trading it in for a larger camper with a bathroom. The bathroom and additional space can save a marriage. No, we don't use the bathroom all the time and have used the shower a grand total of two times in the 5 years we had it, but still, having it is a wonderful thing. While our toilet is a porta-potty toilet, at 2:30 AM, it is a GOLD porta-potty. And, last weekend, it was great to drive past all the lineup of those at the dumpster station to exit the campground. I wish we had even more living space, but in a pinch, there is space for both of us. The 13' was kind of cosy.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #25

Name: Eleanor
Trailer: Bigfoot TT
California
Thank you. We are now convinced that a Scamp is the very best choice and are trying to decide between a 13 and 16 floor plan 4.
We will be towing it with a Lexus RX 330. So you have any idea if this would be OK.
We know what the dry weight is, but what is the true weight and other issues that could adversely affect towing with this Lexus. The towing capacity is 3500 pounds.
eryork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Eleanor, be sure to check out http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html Although the information is subjective based on what the owners "need" to go camping, it's useful in many ways unlike taking a shot in the dark when you think you know what a trailer may weigh.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #27

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
My 16' scamp with bath and a side dinette weighed a little over 2500 pounds ready for a long trip.
That included dual propane tanks, a solar system with a deep cycle group 29 battery and a full water tank.
My 2007 Toyota Tacoma 4cyl towed it comfortably.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #28

Name: Richard
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2011
California
I bought a 2011 Scamp 13 a few months ago and like it very much for solo use. If you are getting one with a bath and shower keep in mind that the bed is pretty narrow for 2 people and there is no other sleeping place. I would try out the bed width first marking it out on your bed at home.

Quality seems good but some things are done pretty basically. Wiring is often exposed in closets and cupboards and could get damaged for example.

The 12 gallon water tank is very minimal with the sink, toilet, and shower. If you are not in a campground with water hookups you will need to haul water to replenish the supply.

If either of you is tall it is good to know that the interior height is represented at 6' 3" but it is actually a few inches less.

Be sure to order extra lighting and 12V and 110 plugs. I installed a stainless steel stove cover which you can order with the trailer. It gives valuable working space if you are not using the stove and keeps the stove cleaner.
Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #29

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Eleanor, if you are anywhere near Sonora..come see my little 13 footer if you've not seen one in person.

I've had my 2001 13 footer new from the factory for going on it's 13th year, it was delivered Dec. 2000. I've literally have had no problems with my Scamp. I love it. I have made some changes, actually additions, to my Scamp simply for my convenience and because I'm a tinkerer.

My little Scamp has been to Alaska and back, to the Great Lakes and back and to the Ozarks and back, with a multitude of trips up an down the West Coast to boot.

What you find with lots of these websites are that people are looking for help regarding an idea or a problem. Consequently it appears that there might be more negative than positive posts. The operative word "Appears"

Most people don't post to simply say "I Love My Scamp" or whatever trailer they have.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #30
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Starting at about $9000 for a very basic 13 ft, I think Scamp is attractive camper especially with 30 year old campers selling for $5-6k. While the 30 year old rig will have options the new Scamp won't, having new would be my choice. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp