Scamp Quality Problems? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #1

Name: Eleanor
Trailer: Bigfoot TT
California
Scamp Quality Problems?

We are getting ready to buy a Scamp 13.
Yet we scared away when we we read online posts that refer to many problems, 13" wheels aren't good, things not right when they come from the factory, poor construction, poor attitude at factory regarding customer service, poor fiberglass, leaky water tanks, difficult to remove tanks if repairs needed, rivets not good etc etc.

On the other hand we see that there are many Scamps and presume that owners are satisfied. We plan on touring the Western United States - national parks etc.

What are your thoughts? Thank you very much.
eryork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:37 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Eleanor, we have never bought new, (couldn't afford to at the time) and are now on our 2nd 13' Scamp. We have loved both, and live in Az, and almost exclusively camp without any hook-ups, in places like Ut, Co, Ca, Or, Id. We do not have air conditioning, but did install a fantastic fan in our latest Scamp. We started out with a 12 yr old 1984 13' Standard floor plan, and kept it for 8 years without any problems (except we got larger and the bed felt like it got smaller). We did replace a couple of batteries. and tires, but never had any leaks or blow outs (I always purchase D rated tires). Our second 13' Scamp is a 1990 Deluxe (wider bed) that we have had for 3 years now, and have replaced the axle, tires, and had to reseal the windows shortly after purchasing as they were leaking (not bad for a 23 year old trailer). Anything will eventually wear out, but with proper "care & feeding" you will have many care free years. Scamp has stood the test of time, and you know that you can not satisfy everyone all the time. Try not to second guess your decision, and go out there and make memories.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've learned, over time, to read the web with skepticism. There will always be somebody out there ready to complain that there was too much lemon in their ice tea.
Recently, I've started to wonder if there is any value in the information that is so widely available and offered on the web.

baglo
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Hi Eleanor, I will take a stab at answering your question and its simple my opinion.

re the 13" tires - tires are a topic that after you have been here awhile you will soon realize that no matter what size, brand or type that a trailer cames with someone is going to suggest they are not right ones or good enough ;-) But as you rightly point out there are many many happy Scamps touring around with those tires on them & they have been doing so for years.

Regarding customer services. Scamp is a little old school and it took them a long time to have an online presents. Although things have improved greatly in the past 5 years I would suggest phoning them is still a better way of communicating with them than via computer. I didnt buy my trailer directly from them so cant comment on what they were like to purchase from but I can say they were very helpful & fast in giving me documentation I needed in order to import my trailer to Canada. Have since purchased parts from them a few times and their staff has been friendly and provided me with all I have asked for. One item we hear often is unlike some of the newer companies Scamp isnt willing to do much if any customization on a trailer order. Its either on their option list or it is not kind of situation & they will put the item where they always put it which may not be where you want it. They only have a few fabric chooses etc. while another company may have lots of different choices and even allow you to send them your own fabric choose to be used.

Rivets. Well all trailers have them. Some more than others. Scamp secures all their cabinets etc through the trailers shell with rivets as do a number of manufactures. But some companies fiberglass the cabinets etc into place so there are fewer rivets through the shell resulting in fewer potential leak spots. Rivets work and they more often than not work for many many years without replacing them. But thats a long term maintenance issue that you need to decide if you are willing to do or not. Once you learn to do your first rivet replacement you will find they are pretty easy to do and if you buy a trailer, any trailer you will need to learn to do them ;-) If you buy a new trailer it may be a long time before you ever need to change a rivet - having said that though on pretty well every trailer a leak can and will happen, rivets can for whatever reason fail sooner than one might expect as can the item they may be holding in place.

As far as poor construction & poor fiberglass goes well I guess thats pretty debatable. I have a 21 year old Scamp that has traveled many miles that some might suggest is still in pretty good shape. Its all pretty well original in regards to its major components. No real concern issues re poor construction or safety. Do they use the top of the line fixtures etc NO! but your also not paying for a top of the line trailer - Scamps might be best described as the mid priced family sedan. Do the products they use do the job - yup. Are there better quality products out there - in some cases yes and one can always buy something better when the old item wears out. I have like most people had to reseal a window or two and replace outside fixtures such as water and electrical ports etc and fix a water connection leak but thats pretty standard maintenance issues that every trailer will require at sometime or another. Dont think you can buy any trailer that you will not need to do some maintenance on each year or that doesnt have a few minor problems pop up that need addressing.

As far as leaking water tanks and hard to remove tanks go I am not sure that is the reality. The tanks in my trailer are the originals and not had any of them leak. I did removed my freshwater tank last fall in order to replace some old connections fittings (before they leaked) and it was not hard to do at all, was able to take it out and replace on my own in one afternoon. As far as water line leaks go well again every trailer requires maintenance and water fittings should be checked regularly. If a leak is ignored that can result in more serious damage to the trailer floor - again it can happen on all trailers - new and old - expensive ones or cheap ones.

As far as items not being right when they come from the factory. Well that can happen with lots of items we buy. Over the years I have had to take more than one brand new car back into the dealer to have something corrected that wasn't done right at the factory. Pretty sure the problem is as common to new Airstreams as it is to Scamps ;-)

Happy hunting.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #5

Name: Ben and Janie
Trailer: 2013 16foot Scamp tug 2003 Ford Ranger
Kentucky
We bought a 2013 16 foot from Scamp in Dec 2012. We have not had one problem in dealing with Scamp . My saleman Alan was very helpful in the ordering and insuring it was ready when we arrived to pick it up. Upon arrrival home found a cracked light lens called Scamp and it arrived 2 days later in the mail no charge. Each contact with them has been very professional. I don't use computer to contact about problems if I can't call you about them then you have a problem. Scamp personel has taken the time to talk to me. I would buy other from them in a minute. A great company to deal with.
Ben and Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
My experience has been that when you read reviews about griping its only those 1%ers who knock the product and go online to say something (not that its a bad thing if done correctly to educate others) but the other 99% of the people if they are happy then they usually dont respond.
IMO they would not exist today if a company put out crap.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16 ft / 2005 Saturn Vue V6
Eleanor,
I agree with the previous posts re: Scamp quality. Everything mechanical needs maintenance, so do Scamps. Ours is a 16' and now is eleven years old. I have had to replace a few rivets and/or caps, but it is easy to do. Not a quality issue, but maintenance. We did have to replace our grey water tank because of a leak. Again, not a quality issue, but from road damage. I looked at it and it could have been a DYI project, but we are only 300 miles from the factory, so we combined a repair with a camping trip to Minnesota. Scamp did the replacement quickly and we were on our way. Their price was very reasonable. 13" wheels? No concern. We have pulled our Scamp thousands of miles with no problem. Have replaced the tires once. Just take care of wheels and bearings according to instructions. Go ahead and buy the Scamp. There is a reason people like them.
Steve
Steven F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Don't let the Negative Nellies scare you out of enjoying a nice camping trailer. Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Eleanor, You will find that not just on this forum but many others, there are lots of engineers. Most with good intentions some not so much, and will complain about every trailer made but their own. Take it all in with a grain of salt. I have had many Scamp trailers and have enjoyed every one. If you are handy you can fix about anything on all of them, and do your own mods too. Best of Luck
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Eleanor, You will find that not just on this forum but many others, there are lots on engineers. Most with good intentions some not so much, and will complain about every trailer made but their own. .........
I'm an engineer and I posted the above as well as a defense of the criticism of ParkLiner. Don't paint with too wide of a brush.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #11

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Tom, I did have my helmet on when I was typing, knowing something could come back on me.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #12

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have had a few issues with Scamp and the way they installed certain items on my trailer as an example.
I was told that was just the way they had always done this and always would even though it was illustrated in the manufacturers manual as the exact way NOT to install the appliance.

I fixed it and kept going.

Another time I was told it would be no problem sending me some rather large Fiberglass panels only to have them refuse to later when I called to order them?

Odd for sure in both instances but I loved my Scamp and would also not be unhappy with another.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I'm an engineer and I posted the above as well as a defense of the criticism of ParkLiner. Don't paint with too wide of a brush.

Well that may be very true but I personally feel the threads currently taking place regarding Parkliner are not really build quality issues but serious safety issues in regards to design and building practices & how the manufacture is addressing those issues with all the owners of their trailers. Big difference!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #14

Are you looking at a new or used scamp 13? If new and can wait, americanboler hopefully will come out this year? Can call and ask them. Might be a closer drive to you in OR compared to MN.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I think some people confuse maintenance issues with manufacturing defects or quality issues . I have replaced various minor items on my Scamp ( rivets , flooring , a light fixture , weather stripping ) My trailer is a 1999 Scamp and has held up well . Find me anything that you haul down the road and that sits out in the bright sun or heavy rains that does not need occasional maintenance . I think some people believe that a product should come from the factory absolutely perfect and remain that way forever with no effort on their part
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have owned my Scamp 13Deluxe for nine years now.
I have never been more satisfied with any product I have owned.
I have also owned several makes of fiberglass trailers, including some 30 year old Scamps. I prefer the Scamp, which stands out in a crowd fine products.
Support from Scamp has been unparalleled whenever I have had a need for a part or advice for any of the Scamp trailers I have bought for rehab.
They are more of a family friend than a company to me.
Unfortunately, the fellow who often showed the trailers passed away a couple of weeks ago. Having a reputation as a bit of a curmudgeon,he was likely the object of scorn which was mentioned in your concerns. I liked him myself, and found him to be a fine fellow,RIP.
You will certainly be greeted by someone else when you go to take delivery of one of the finest and "funnest" products you will ever own.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Scamp Quality

I've owned a Scamp 13' for over 7 years. I purchased it new. As with anything there's going to be maintenance issues and there's going to be violated expectations. These are not necessarily Scamp issues, some are expected like bearings needing packing and tires needing to be replaced.
Then there's value which I measure by $1.00 spent vs fun. I'm not sure you can beat Scamp there. The initial cost is low compared to other fiberglass trailers, upkeep is about the same.
Customer service from my experience has been as good as it gets. Kent Eveland, the owner seems to be able to take the time to talk to you and answer any questions you might have. I talked to him when it about time to replace my tires. The original tires were no longer manufactured so I wanted to have some straight from the horse's mouth information.
I've heard that they might or might not answer emails. Kent has always preferred to deal over the phone, wanting to talk to his customers rather than type letters. More information can be conveyed by voice than typed word.

Final word, go for it.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #18

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryork View Post
We are getting ready to buy a Scamp 13.
Yet we scared away when we we read online posts that refer to many problems, 13" wheels aren't good, things not right when they come from the factory, poor construction, poor attitude at factory regarding customer service, poor fiberglass, leaky water tanks, difficult to remove tanks if repairs needed, rivets not good etc etc.

On the other hand we see that there are many Scamps and presume that owners are satisfied. We plan on touring the Western United States - national parks etc.

What are your thoughts? Thank you very much.
I have owned many Scamps as well as other fiberglass trailers.
The most trips were in my 2003 Scamp 16' SD.
In the 15 or 20,000 miles I never had a wheel or tire problem with the 13" wheels.
If you remove about 10 easily accessable screws you can easily remove the left fiberglass bench to get at the water tank. Might take you 15 minutes.

There is NOTHING wrong with a product,rivets, that keeps a travel trailer together for 30 or 35 years.
The snap caps should be replace as soon as the are damaged. It's easy they simply snap on.

Since I retired my hobby has been restoring fiberglass trailers.
The only problems I have had with the fiberglass is where the rivets have been replaced with nuts and bolts.
Bolts have a tendency to be over tightened and don't allow the fiberglass body to flex.

THe only thing you have correct is their parts dept. is rude and their shipping is sometimes more than the cosy of the parts you order.
Most of the generic parts can be bought online or ar a RV dealer and you don't have to put up with the rudeness or high shipping costs.

The best thing to say about Scamp is they have to be a good product or they would not still be in business after all of these years.

Like anything humans put together there may be minor problems but from what I have read here they are very cooperative and will send you to an RV dealer to have the problems fixed immediately at their expense.

There are a lot of inexperienced, wannabe trailer engineers or technicians on this board who have a tendency to over think and compound simple problems.

If you order one make sure you get brakes and ALL of the extra cabinets available.

You will not be dissappointed with a Scamp!

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #19

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
My experience has been that when you read reviews about griping its only those 1%ers who knock the product and go online to say something (not that its a bad thing if done correctly to educate others) but the other 99% of the people if they are happy then they usually dont respond.
IMO they would not exist today if a company put out crap.
I totally agree. The online reviews of most anything are composed of people who are dissatisfied.

If you are nervous, go see a few in person.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I totally agree. The online reviews of most anything are composed of people who are dissatisfied. ..........
CindyL
Good point. Go to Amazon and find a product that you own and love. Read the most negative reviews. Sometimes I wonder if they own the same product.

Tags
scamp