Scamp questions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #15

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Great advice here Jean, but the following is sorta sad but true...you REALLY wont know what you want until you get your Scamp and hit the road! (Ask me how I know!)

Old 01-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuplick View Post
Thanks, Jon. I've just started doing my research, and some other kind folks on this site have educated me about the importance of various features available in FB trailers. On my day off today, with hubby at work, I indulged in research binge, spreadsheet and all.

I just bought a new vehicle (Ford Escape Titanium with 3500 tow capacity). It was a good choice for us for a number of reasons, but we hadn't considered buying a trailer at the time. I really want to keep this vehicle. Given that, I'm pretty sure I need to stick with a 13' trailer.
  1. Have you weighed your Scamp packed and loaded?
    [
  2. Anyone go solar? How'd that go?

Welcome. Re question #1 have you viewed the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World yet? Its a very good resource. Most of the trailers on the first list were weighed at a couple of different Fibreglass trailer meet ups and as such the majority of trailers were loaded up for camping.

You should have no issues pulling a 13' Scamp with a vehicle with a 3500lb tow rating. You would also have no issues pulling a 16' Scamp with it either. There are also a number of folks here who have/do tow 17' Escapes with Ford Escapes that are properly equipped as well. Regardless of the trailer you are going to want to make sure it has brakes and that you have a good brake controller.

Re Solar question. Lots of folks including myself have added solar to their trailers and have found it works well. Some folks go for very elaborate systems with lots of wattage while others such as myself got by with very simple fairly small wattage panels for many days of off the grid camping. What you need depends greatly on your style of camping and where and when you camp & what appliances you believe you need to be able to run. There are lots of threads on the topic. Many Many hours of reading here on the topic. if you use the "Search" function in the top row use the bottom box "google" for the best results. On of the big keys to success with solar is understanding the trailers 12v system & the does and do nots regarding your batteries. There is a website that will give you the basics. The 12 Volt Side of Life. Its been around for a LONG time but the basic info given is still very applicable.

Have fun shopping for a trailer.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2018 Escape 21 on Order - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuplick View Post
Great tips, Jon. It's the little things like this that are helping frame up trailer life in my mind. Thanks.
Jean,

Another option you have there in Texas is to rent a Casita. There is a 2011 17′ Casita Spirit Deluxe listed as available in Lewisville at Campers4Rent.com. If you want to rent and tow, you would need to get a hitch and brake controller installed on the Escape in advance.

Regarding trailer brands, in some cases there are significant differences in the models offered that can make a certain model (from a particular brand) better-suited for an intended application. As an example, we were attracted to the captain's chairs in Casita's Freedom Deluxe. However, this is not a particularly popular model for Casita, and I don't think that Escape or Scamp even offer anything like it. So, this arrangement clearly doesn't work for everyone.

We bought our trailer used, sight unseen, and had it delivered some 400 miles as we did not have a suitable tow vehicle. My wife's first reaction was that it was much smaller than the seller's pictures made it appear. I expect that's not an uncommon reaction. In the event, she has taken to it, particularly as we have better learned how to share the space comfortably on each trip we've taken.

We invested in an aftermarket 8-inch thick custom mattress to replace our rear dinette cushions. We consequently can't set up the rear dinette table, so rely on the captain's chairs with a small table for seating in our trailer. We had previously used a 3-inch self-inflating pad arrangement under the dinette cushions with a thick cotton sleeping bag "topper" to augment the original cushions, so we've actually never used the rear dinette.

I don't know how many folks buy a mattress to replace the dinette cushions or add a mattress topper. I think it would be interesting if people posting here commented on this aspect of their trailers.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Great advice here Jean, but the following is sorta sad but true...you REALLY wont know what you want until you get your Scamp and hit the road! (Ask me how I know!)
VERY true! But to avoid a real big buying mistake many folks do not need to go as far as buying a particular trailer and camping in it. For many all it takes is to go and sit in the trailer for a few minutes to discover if it is or is not the trailer of their dreams. I know when I was shopping for my Scamp I went and sat both a 13' and a 16' and I looked at a few other brands of trailers that were within my budget at the time. After sitting in them for a few minutes I was very sure I would not be a happy camper in many of them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #19

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Hi Jean, welcome to the group. As Jon said, "Plenty of help here but not always in agreement." One thing you'll need to keep in mind is, although most here are 'eggers', we may have significantly different camping styles and what works for some is unimportant or even a negative for others.

Cindy and I camp year round and prefer public lands, usually without hookups but w/restrooms or at least port-a-johns and a water source. We're on our second Scamp, a front bath D19. The first was a side bath 16' std. acquired in 03 but lost to Hurricane Irene in 11. Both campers were pretty much fully loaded and we used every option except the microwave and possibly the A/C enough to justify them (I'd still opt for both to enhance resale value). I'm taller (and likely heavier) than your husband and the bathroom is 'adequate'. The front bath offers more headroom than the side bath model, at least in the 19', which makes showering much more pleasant.

Useful (to us) things we've added include:

1) A quality mattress. We still backpack and I our old 2" Thermarest's are better than the Scamp cushions. Our's came from Southern Mattress just a few miles from home here in NC. We left the 16' in 'bed mode' at all times. In the 19' we've added a removable custom made chest of drawers between the two bench seats at the rear for additional storage.

2) Two 6V golf cart style batteries wired in series lets us go a week without recharging unless the heater or fan is needed. My Tacoma has a built-in 400W inverter which I use with my charger from home to keep the batteries topped off (much more efficient than the Scamp's converter charging feature) so we can extend this much longer if desired. You'll need to rig your own mounting system for this as its not a Scamp option.

3) Replaced all bulbs with LED's for a softer and brighter light with much less voltage drain.

4) MaxxFan over the berth eliminates the need for A/C most of the time. I like it better than the Fantastic Fan that Scamp offers (don't know if they'll let you switch or not).

5) Neither of our's had it but I'd opt for the 3" lift in order to more easily install larger tires. I'm not sure what Scamp offers now but would try to get them to install 225x15's or at least let you bring your own and have them credit you for the stock ones. Tires are a big subject of discussion here so get your camper soon so you can join in the fun.

6) We replaced the stock carpet with Allure vinyl tile from Home Depot and like it much better.

7) Get all the interior lights and storage cabinets offered.

8) Added an exterior access hatch to the storage under the rear curbside seat.

9) We spend little time in the camper and have a Paha Que screen room for outside activities. The Scamp awning works well but the screen room is better if if it's cold, rainy, buggy or you just want something to make your gear a little less visible when away from camp.

10) We carry empty 5 gallon and 3 gallon bulk Primo water containers and use them to fill the freshwater tank when we arrive at the campground, then refill them for cooking and drinking while the Scamp's water is for the john and washing dishes.

Looking at the current Scamp option list, things we'd never use - cable hookup, power range hood, oven, gas & electric hot water heater (gas only is sufficient for us), extra fresh water tank (rather have the storage), propane gauge (carry two tanks and replace the empty at the first opportunity), phone jack. 12V plug, exterior GFI 120V plug. Keep in mind, this is just us - we're old, opinionated and set in our ways.

This is a picture taken in the Smokemont CG of Great Smoky Mtn NP that shows some of the additions/mods referenced above
Old 01-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
We owned and restored a couple of small trailers before ordering Eggy-Sue (the pull-it surprize) so we knew and got what we wanted, coming up on thirteen years ago now! Mods have made it even more what we wanted!
Think first about trailer size, then about accommodations, an extra light or 12V outlet can always be added later, but if you think of something get it with the build.
What do you want to do with your trailer?
Sleep? Cook? Eat or have cold drinks? Read? Shower? Stay warm? Stay cool? "Powder your nose"? Have your own shade? Videos? Music? Storage? Easy to tow? Easy to park? Easy to stop? Drive throughs?
What do you like to drive?
And a big one for me...Having a COOL, reliable, useful product at a great value.
And last... Do you like to meet new people? You will at every gas station, campground and rest stop, not to mention all the "thumbs up" on the highway!
Old 01-03-2017, 03:09 PM   #21

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
I agree 100%.... and i still don't know.. Carl
Old 01-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
We have a Scamp 13 and a larger tug than an Escape. It allows us to carry all the stuff that we enjoy while camping. With a small tug I would buy a 16 foot trailer especially if you have to have a bathroom and a shower. I don't want a Bathroom in a 13 foot trailer. We use campground facilities and use a portapotty when there are no facilities. I live in SoCal where the weather is mostly dry during the camping season. I would not want to be camping in a 13 foot trailer with a full bathroom during a 3 day rainy spell. Having to make the bed just to have a place to sit. Our bunk beds have been removed and the front couch can be a bed or a small dining table for 2. Rear table stays down as a bed 24/7.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #23

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
We have a Scamp 13 and a larger tug than an Escape. It allows us to carry all the stuff that we enjoy while camping. With a small tug I would buy a 16 foot trailer especially if you have to have a bathroom and a shower. I don't want a Bathroom in a 13 foot trailer. We use campground facilities and use a portapotty when there are no facilities. I live in SoCal where the weather is mostly dry during the camping season. I would not want to be camping in a 13 foot trailer with a full bathroom during a 3 day rainy spell. Having to make the bed just to have a place to sit. Our bunk beds have been removed and the front couch can be a bed or a small dining table for 2. Rear table stays down as a bed 24/7.
Why would you have to make the bed to have a place to sit? We use ours as a couch, bed, a lounge area etc.
Before I would get rid of the bathroom I would get rid of the kitchen since most folks would rather see me COOK outside!
We do have an awning for rainy spells and we don't have to don raingear to make a trip to the bathroom or shower.
I'm real sure that it would take more time preparing to go both ways to the showerhouse than to convert the bed.
We always travel with the bed ready for sleep and have spent countless hours watching television and snacking on the bed, with our backs comfortably against the wall.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:21 PM   #24

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Evidently you have never seen / toured Floyd's 13 ft Scamp Deluxe !
I have had the honor and I will admit he has made what appears to be a small trailer into something that feels much larger , and far roomier. We also use the bathroom in our trailer far more than we use the kitchen . Personally , I would rather cook outside and my wife agrees.

Tags
scamp