Scamp Secret Options or Factory Mods - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: In the Market for a Scamp
Michigan
Scamp Secret Options or Factory Mods

Hello,

My wife and I (and 3 kids) are planning on ordering a 16' Layout 7 Scamp soon to have for pickup in the Spring. We think we know which options we would like to get. What we were wondering if anyone had tips for mods that they had the factory do or options that Scamp does not advertise that people got them to put in. I was thinking of an extra 12V outlet in one of the upper cabinets for a charging electronics. I know some people have mentioned not to get Scamp to install curtains because of the extra holes in the fiberglass. How would we hang curtains later without these? Any other tips when ordering?
nam11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
The aluminum widow frames provide lots of surface to make mounting curtains easily. I do not understand why Scamp does it the way they do. I would not order again with curtains installed. I could add curtains to the whole trailer better in about 30 minutes with an electric drill. There is no need to drill thru the fiberglass.

Its not like their curtains work that well. Its a battle to keep them open without tie-backs and when closed they hang to leave a large gap at the bottom.

I haven't given a new design much thought, but one idea would be to mount a thin strip of wood across the top of the window and install roll down blinds that velcro closed to the bottom of the frame. Easy peasy.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #3

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam11 View Post
Hello,

My wife and I (and 3 kids) are planning on ordering a 16' Layout 7 Scamp soon to have for pickup in the Spring. We think we know which options we would like to get. What we were wondering if anyone had tips for mods that they had the factory do or options that Scamp does not advertise that people got them to put in. I was thinking of an extra 12V outlet in one of the upper cabinets for a charging electronics. I know some people have mentioned not to get Scamp to install curtains because of the extra holes in the fiberglass. How would we hang curtains later without these? Any other tips when ordering?
We are also thinking about ordering a Scamp 16 Layout 7! I'm curious what feedback you receive!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If you ordered it without A/C, be sure and order "A/C Prep".
Its free and worth every penny!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #5

Name: Rod
Trailer: Scamp 16 Std Layout 4
West Virginia
One thing I learned when ordering our 16 Std Layout 4 is that you should ask questions of the sales guys and discuss anything you might be thinking about modifying etc. with them. They will either come up with something useful or say "no". We wanted a cover over the Fantastic Fan and they installed a MaxxAir which works just fine (it's what they have in stock). We installed our own refrig and we wanted to put it in the closet (next to the sink module on the #4) instead of the usual place but the closet looked a little small. They installed a larger closet which fits our frig just right. These are not listed items, but you can always ask; and they did charge extra for them. The only thing I wish I'd known is that the window over the range is "frosted" but the one I got over the sink isn't; I'd have asked for both to be frosted. I'm trying to frost the sink one now and it's so small and therefor hard to do. By the way, we didn't get curtains over some of the windows; Jane has already made new "more attractive" curtains and we changed out the rods for something a little heavier. I like John's idea of using the metal frame for the curtains or blinds!
Rod D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp Secret Options or Factory Mods

+1 on having all galley windows frosted. No curtains needed. I don't use curtains on the front window either. The upper bunk sleeper gets tangled in them. We just hang the gravel guard when we want privacy.

For the large rear and side windows, here's one simple way to mount curtain rods without through-hull rivets, courtesy of member Carol H. They are attached to the inner window trim ring with rivets.

Name:   Curtain Attachment.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  21.2 KB

Alternatively, if you order the optional rear upper cabinets, you could use them to suspend a wrap-around curtain rod all around the back for more complete coverage and the ability to completely clear the windows when open.

If you get a grey tank have them leave off the sewer hose holder. It's ugly, requires more through-hull rivets, and turns yellow over time. Many people eventually want a longer hose that won't fit. As an alternative, mount a vinyl fence post cover under the rear frame to carry the stinky slinky.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
The only thing I wish I'd known is that the window over the range is "frosted" but the one I got over the sink isn't; I'd have asked for both to be frosted. I'm trying to frost the sink one now and it's so small and therefor hard to do.
You may want to check out window transfer films. They come in many designs and I'm sure frosted is available. I picked one up at Home Depot to give a window above the front door a little pop. EZ install too.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
You may want to check out window transfer films. They come in many designs and I'm sure frosted is available. I picked one up at Home Depot to give a window above the front door a little pop. EZ install too.
Instead of curtains, I put this film on the window over the sink (Scamp #4) in December 2015. Today it looks like the day I installed it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B9PQ5W

They sell multiple patterns.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
DC Fix, exactly what I was thinking. I have some on a flashlight lens for beam diffusion (I wanted more spill). The film can be removed and reapplied a few times, too.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #10

Name: Ben
Trailer: Scamp
California
Great thread!

Thanks for posting this thread, great idea. I have a 13' on order, and have been debating some minor changes (I've already made plenty of major ones).

One of the things I'm really conscious of is not wanting to punch holes in things, especially in a brand new trailer that I haven't used enough years to really know exactly what we want.

I've been planning to use 3M Command Strips to hang all sorts of things on the smooth fiberglass cabinets, as they are strong but super easy to remove with no residue or lasting impact. (We use them all over our house, including hooks in the shower, etc)

I was wondering if a non-hole punching option for hanging curtains instead of their default version or one that drills holes in the metal frame is something like this:
Curtain Call

Super easy to remove or change if you don't love it, with no permanent consequences. It's hard for me, without a Scamp in my driveway, to know if there's enough space on the window frame to stick Command hook. It obviously won't stick to the furry walls, so it would have to be on the frame. Anyone know if that would work?
bmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #11

Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Kentucky
Friends recently brought home a new 13' without the pinstripes on the cabinets. Are the pinstripes no longer standard? If so can you still get them?
Danny1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
My daughter a new curtain that is just flat with Velcro on the back. The Velcro sticks to the rat fur fine without additional help. So far she has only done one for the door but next I want one for over my head on the end of the rear bunk where I sleep. I intensely dislike the flopping out factory curtain over my head.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp