Scamp three foot-itis - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2018, 10:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 2001
Scamp three foot-itis

Well, we were bitten by the three foot-itis bug. We have enjoyed camping in our bare bones Scamp 13' for the last ten years. However, a very wet & rainy 5 day camp trip at New Year's had us wishing for a little more space. We've moved up to a Scamp 16'.

We purchased a 16' used 2007 rig in very good condition. PO has made a number of improvements and customization of layout and equipment. We'll definitely have a learning curve and period of adjustment for the new features. We're not used to having propane, air conditioner, Fantastic Fan, furnace, hot water heater, battery power, water tanks, bathroom, galley, dinette, etc. (I did say our Scamp 13' was bare bones. It was purchased as empty shell by PO and customized with two beds and front counter.)

We have spent the last few days transferring items from the "Baby" Scamp to the "Big" Scamp. Swapped out the customized wheels with baby moons from the 13' to 16'. Will replace Fantastic Fan with Maxx Air. Fan project on hold the last five days, the Dicor butyl tape we ordered is "Lost in transit".

Hope to finish packing up soon and then make our way to the LBL rally. The long trip will be a good way to become familiarized with our new rig. It will be a different experience for us as we move from our previous minimalist camping rig and adjust to one filled with multiple amenities.

Deb
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180925_115833.jpg  
Deb&Sam D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:47 AM   #2

Name: Mel
Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th wheel
Nova Scotia
Scamps

I have spent a most enjoyable winter in Naples many years ago in an RV. All others RVing in Zypherhills. I have your identical 16ft Scamp. Love it and will die with it. I would like to have your 13ft Scamp if you wound sell it to an old Canadian. You might send me a reply at mocomeau@ns.sympatico.ca ??
Mel Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #3

Name: Vince
Trailer: Toyota Odyssey
California
Deb...so you're saying 16" wheels fit on your "new" Scamp? I've always thought the 13" wheels were a drawback/low clearance etc.
Harlan C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #4

Name: Mel
Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th wheel
Nova Scotia
13 foot and 16 foot Scamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlan C View Post
Deb...so you're saying 16" wheels fit on your "new" Scamp? I've always thought the 13" wheels were a drawback/low clearance etc.

I understood that wheels were changed from the 13 footer to the 16 footer. It did not mention the size of the wheels as to if the were the same size or different??? :-)
Mel Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:53 PM   #5

California
Ah...I think you're right. I misinterpreted "swapped"...thanks.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #6

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
My 1990 16' Scamp only has size 13" rims, but still rides much higher than a 13' Scamp. If I remember right most 16 scamps have 13" rims and the 14" rims were just an option (so some people have them).

The ride height difference has more to do with the construction of the frame and the axle. If you look at photos of 13' scamps you can see that it rides much lower down on the tire, actually below the half way point. While on a 16' scamp it rides above the half way point.

Ride height was one of the factors that I went for a 16' vs the 13'.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #7

California
Good to know...thanks for pointing out those differences.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:25 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp three foot-itis

The frames are pretty similar, just stretched. Both have the same dropped floor design to create headroom and the same size and gauge material used.

The ride height difference is a function of the torsion axle arm angle. The Scamp 13 is 22.5 degrees up for aerodynamic towing behind smaller vehicles. It has deeper wheel wells to accommodate the tucked-in wheels. Garageability was also an original design parameter, but that was abandoned when they changed to roof A/C and increased the cabin height.

In contrast the Scamp 16 is 10(?) degrees down. The extra length requires greater clearance to prevent tongue and tail strikes due to the long overhangs.

In my opinion the 13' would be improved by switching to a 0 degree axle for about 2-3" more height. Since many modern tow vehicles sit on raised crossover-type suspensions, it makes sense. I will definitely do that when it's time for a new axle.

The 16' would be improved by enlarging the wheel wells to accommodate 15" wheels and tires without changing the axle. The issue with the 16'er is marginal capacity on the 13" OEM tires for some of the heavier layouts. 15" gives you higher load ratings along with a lot more tire options, and they're commonly stocked everywhere.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #9

Name: 👸🏻 Princess 👸🏻
Trailer: Scamp 2013
California
Welcome to comfort

❤️ Scamp ❤️
Sierra Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #10

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Oregon
Nice explanation, JonAZ. That really helps!
Out4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #11

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
back of SUV

I have a recumbent trike and do take it with me. Trident Stowaway

Stowaway | Trident Trikes, Recumbent Trikes, Chameleon Convertitrike, Stowaway Folding Trike

So this might be different for you. I have a hitch on the back of my 16 foot scamp, and have placed a bike rack there. Looked at trying a platform for the tgrike, but looked at the stresses and no way am I trying that. I have disassembled enough to get it in the camper, but that was way to hard and took to much time. I have placed in on the top of my SUV, at the time Jeep Cherokee, but getting it up and down was too hard and frankly I didn't have enough control as a single person to get it up and down that I was sure I was not going to break anything. Now drive a jeep commander. Place it in the back of that, and then pack around it. That has been working well.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp