Scamp Tongue Jack Wheel - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
and also those tubes the jacks are made of are really not made for the side stress of pushing around (think folding or bending)
Tom
That was my point exactly! I can't imagine having the thing bend and crimp during a camping trip and the only solution would be to cut it off to get home. If you've got a larger trailer and can't pick up the tongue to move the trailer around, then practice your backing skills!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #16

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
LOL, well Donna, the tow vehicle wouldnt have fit where we put the T@b on the tent site and what if you want to spin the trailer around to look at the lake instead of your neighbor? Maybe the T@b has a heavier duty tongue jack b/c I dont see bending it and it comes with a nice sized wheel. Would there be that much side to side stress if the wheel it turned accordingly? The T@B moves side to side with just one hand and no real effort on smooth ground of course. Looks like Hubby is dancing with it (spinning it around once when we decided we wanted it to face the other way, lol) as he parallels it up against the storage building between 2 cars which is our storage parking spot. It is the only one available so again if we couldnt move it by hand we'd be out of luck. It's been a real handy feature already. Hubby can pick up the tongue easily but I cant.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #17

Oregon
Could be the T@B has a better, stronger tongue jack, I wouldn't know, I've never seen one or paid much attention when I saw it. I'd just hate to see a newbie molded trailer owner get themselves into a pickle based on your experience with your T@B. Since I'm a camper and not an RVer, I figure my lawn chair is movable if I don't like the view. YMMV
Old 02-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #18

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone
and also those tubes the jacks are made of are really not made for the side stress of pushing around (think folding or bending)
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That was my point exactly! I can't imagine having the thing bend and crimp during a camping trip and the only solution would be to cut it off to get home. If you've got a larger trailer and can't pick up the tongue to move the trailer around, then practice your backing skills!
If folding and bending are such a big problem, then why do they sell tongue jacks with wheels? I would think they've been engineered to stand most sideways forces (when used properly of course, and we're all careful campers here, right? ).

Tongue jacks with wheels that bolt onto the trailer frame usually swing up and out of the way or can simply be unbolted (is that a word?), so I'm not sure I understand what you mean about having to cut off the jack.

And as far as backing up skills... well, that could take me YEARS to perfect and I'd NEVER get to go camping!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #19

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
Tongue jacks with wheels that bolt onto the trailer frame usually swing up and out of the way or can simply be unbolted (is that a word?), so I'm not sure I understand what you mean about having to cut off the jack.
The one that came on my Scamp from the factory is not bolted on with U-Bolts.. like the aftermarket brands. There's a plate welded on the side of the A-Frame and four gigantic rivet-like fasteners that go through the plate. I'd either need a drill with a large bit or a hack saw to get it off... and it swings up along the frame, as you mentioned. I don't take either kind of equipment when I go camping, so if the jack bends... I'm SOL.

Here's a picture and post where Doug has a bent tongue jack: New Boler owner. Not a swing up, but unusable never-the-less and the plate bent, not the jack.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #20

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
OK, tongue jack's are made to lift or lower the tongue to the hitch. My egg wobbles really bad when sitting on the tongue jack so I set two automotive jack stands under the frame rails for support. My tongue jack was bent when I bought my egg and I simply used a come along to pull it back into place.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #21

Oregon
This whole discussion is about possibilities and possible pitfalls. My use and decision shouldn't sway anyone from doing what they want to do and can do. A wheel obviously works for Melissa and her application and probably does for others as well.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Tom is correct - unless a 16' with a wheel is on pavement its really hard to move and even then it takes more power than what I have. I mostly use the wheel on mine to nudge the trailer over an inch or so if I don't get the ball of the tow right under it when hooking up. If the trailer needs to be moved more than that when not hooked up it takes a couple of bigger than me people to do it and normally they lift the tongue off the ground as using the wheel to move it due to weakness of the jack tubes it is not a great idea.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #23

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This whole discussion is about possibilities and possible pitfalls. My use and decision shouldn't sway anyone from doing what they want to do and can do. A wheel obviously works for Melissa and her application and probably does for others as well.
Have a friend with a TAB and as Melissa says the do have a really good strong system built into them that allows them to be moved around fairly easy.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #24

Florida
That's good to know, Carol. As I assumed all trailers had the kind of tongue jack that was built for moving the trailer and so had the strength to do so. Maybe that is why Scamp doesnt put on the wheel b/c they aren't really meant to be moved around.

Guess if the awning wasnt needed for shade then moving your chair to enjoy the view would work. It's cool to sit out in front of the trailer under the awning looking at the lake.

So all tongue jacks are not created equal!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
Dont get me wrong Melissa they can be moved into what ever position you want - I have done that one more than on occasion its just that its not something that I or perhaps yourself would find easy to do on your own.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #26

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
For those who have the sand pad, it may be possible to buy a big caster like from Tractor Supply and bolt it to the sand pad. They even have them with pneumatic tires. A parts supplier for teardrop trailers was selling a pneumatic tire tongue jack wheel, but had a very high price of around $85. Note that there are different size tubes for tongue jacks, and different extension measurements when retracted, which if they are too close to the ground could result in hitting the ground when moving. I had trouble finding the right size wheel for my daughters Jayco popup. And if you have too big of a jack wheel you may not be able to get it on with the trailer on the ball. Bob
Old 02-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #27

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
The pad on my 13' Scamp has a pin attachment. I bought a wheel for about $30 and swap it iwth the pad when I'm at home. That way I can roll it into the garage. I keep a block in front of it to keep it from rolling back out of the garage and the wheel chocks on the wheels to stop it from rolling back. Also marked the garage floor with pink Duck Tape to position the front wheel. Lets me know how far back to go. Wouldn't want to push it out the back wall. When camping I can usually back up to the tongue almost spot on, don't have to manuver the trailer at all to hitch up.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #28

Florida
Wow Alice, I'm jealous! I usually have to move the trailer 2-3 inches to get it directly centered over the ball. Do you back it up w/o a spotter? I'm teaching my 15 y/o how to spot. Now that duct tape is a GREAT idea! Would have stopped Hubby from poking the spare tire mount on the popup through part of the drywall of the back wall while I was inside. He thought he would "feel" it stop and didnt need me to help, lol. Just glad I didnt end up with the rear of the popup in my dining room!

Tags
scamp