Scamp Tongue Jack Wheel - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This whole discussion is about possibilities and possible pitfalls. My use and decision shouldn't sway anyone from doing what they want to do and can do. A wheel obviously works for Melissa and her application and probably does for others as well.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Tom is correct - unless a 16' with a wheel is on pavement its really hard to move and even then it takes more power than what I have. I mostly use the wheel on mine to nudge the trailer over an inch or so if I don't get the ball of the tow right under it when hooking up. If the trailer needs to be moved more than that when not hooked up it takes a couple of bigger than me people to do it and normally they lift the tongue off the ground as using the wheel to move it due to weakness of the jack tubes it is not a great idea.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This whole discussion is about possibilities and possible pitfalls. My use and decision shouldn't sway anyone from doing what they want to do and can do. A wheel obviously works for Melissa and her application and probably does for others as well.
Have a friend with a TAB and as Melissa says the do have a really good strong system built into them that allows them to be moved around fairly easy.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #24

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
That's good to know, Carol. As I assumed all trailers had the kind of tongue jack that was built for moving the trailer and so had the strength to do so. Maybe that is why Scamp doesnt put on the wheel b/c they aren't really meant to be moved around.

Guess if the awning wasnt needed for shade then moving your chair to enjoy the view would work. It's cool to sit out in front of the trailer under the awning looking at the lake.

So all tongue jacks are not created equal!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #25

Registry
Dont get me wrong Melissa they can be moved into what ever position you want - I have done that one more than on occasion its just that its not something that I or perhaps yourself would find easy to do on your own.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #26

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
For those who have the sand pad, it may be possible to buy a big caster like from Tractor Supply and bolt it to the sand pad. They even have them with pneumatic tires. A parts supplier for teardrop trailers was selling a pneumatic tire tongue jack wheel, but had a very high price of around $85. Note that there are different size tubes for tongue jacks, and different extension measurements when retracted, which if they are too close to the ground could result in hitting the ground when moving. I had trouble finding the right size wheel for my daughters Jayco popup. And if you have too big of a jack wheel you may not be able to get it on with the trailer on the ball. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #27

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
The pad on my 13' Scamp has a pin attachment. I bought a wheel for about $30 and swap it iwth the pad when I'm at home. That way I can roll it into the garage. I keep a block in front of it to keep it from rolling back out of the garage and the wheel chocks on the wheels to stop it from rolling back. Also marked the garage floor with pink Duck Tape to position the front wheel. Lets me know how far back to go. Wouldn't want to push it out the back wall. When camping I can usually back up to the tongue almost spot on, don't have to manuver the trailer at all to hitch up.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #28

Wow Alice, I'm jealous! I usually have to move the trailer 2-3 inches to get it directly centered over the ball. Do you back it up w/o a spotter? I'm teaching my 15 y/o how to spot. Now that duct tape is a GREAT idea! Would have stopped Hubby from poking the spare tire mount on the popup through part of the drywall of the back wall while I was inside. He thought he would "feel" it stop and didnt need me to help, lol. Just glad I didnt end up with the rear of the popup in my dining room!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #29

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Milissa--One other thing I forgot to mention is that I also put an 8' 2x4 in the garage where the wheels will stop. It is an extra stopping measure so I don't blast thru the back wall into my bedroom. Since moving the Scamp myself is a bit strenuous, and I'm the only brake.
No, I do not have a spotter backing up. I use the taillight on my backwindow and "point" it towards the tongue jack. My biggest problem is estimating the distance. Once I get it to within 1-2 feet, I draw a line in the dirt with my heel or driveway with chalk where I estimate the drivers door should be. I have to stop and hop out to check 3 or 4 times, but I get there.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #30

Oh I like that draw a line in the dirt idea too! Folks probably think I've got ants in my pants backing with the driver door open and hopping out every few inches, LOL!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #31

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Oh I like that draw a line in the dirt idea too!
I do something similar at the END of camping when the trailer is backed onto it's pad. My tug at the point is on the lawn and once I get the trailer where it needs to be, before I unhook, I drive a stake into the ground at my shoulder area. I do this so when I go to hookup the next time, I'll at least be within a few inches of hooking up! Doesn't help with the left/right over the ball stuff, but at least I'm not a couple of feet to far out either . Heck, I look at getting in and out of the tug to check the mounts to be part of a good exercise routine! That's my story and I'm sticking to it
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #32

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
A larger diameter wheel with a wider tire would roll over obstacles best, but would use up some of your height adjustment. I would imagine most trailer jacks are bent from hitting the ground while the tv is pulling them. If you have to spin your trailer 180 degrees be careful of sloping terrain, or you could see your rig roll downhill and take off without you! Good video footage for sure.
Russ

PS
If you lower your jack before moving it will lessen the bending forces applied to the jack when hitting rocks or going into divits.
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #33

LOL, well Russ that is where our hand brake comes in REAL handy, dont ask me how I know!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #34

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Hi all
I tried a rear backup camera mounted top of lic plate, works great, only you have to wait for camera to activate each time you select reverse. Better it you have a switch on/off and don't hookup to reverse activated. This can put you right on the ball.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #35

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Here's what I use when I back up to the trailer ball. Works very well in lining things up easily.

I got mine at Harbor Freight.
Trailer Alignment Kit - Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit
Now, all I need to learn is how to back up into campsites with the trailer attached!
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #36

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Magnetic alignment kit, the yellow balls on telescoping poles. Got mine at etrailer but I've seen them in a store, maybe it was Tractor Supply. Keeps from jamming the trailer tongue into the back of the car. When I was still working on trucks, one of the many company rules was "GOAL", Get Out And Look!!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp