Scamp Trailer Deluxe - Rivets Or Screws ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II 23' 6"
New York
Scamp Trailer Deluxe - Rivets Or Screws ?

Can anyone who has owned or has seen the Scamp Deluxe trailer's in the 13' or 16' models now produced by Scamp , tell me how all the wood cabinets/closet are attached to inside of their trailers ? ...... Thanks
John Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:26 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Riveted from the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-30-2015, 08:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The cabinets on the Deluxe are not riveted in place.
They are attached with screws through the hull.
After eleven years and seventy thousand miles we have not lost a single screw.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The cabinets on the Deluxe are not riveted in place.
They are attached with screws through the hull.
After eleven years and seventy thousand miles we have not lost a single screw.
That is pretty good I tend to have a couple more screws loose every year. Might explain why I'm falling apart.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
That is pretty good I tend to have a couple more screws loose every year. Might explain why I'm falling apart.
And then some of us (speaking for myself) may have had screws loose to begin with.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Riveted from the outside.

Can't believe I said that. I meant to say screwed from the outside. Screws are under caps.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
On my rebuild I used SS countersunk washers and screws to hold in all of my cabinets (wood). I have no caps, but I put a dab of Gorilla Glue in the holes and under the screw/washer to seal it all up.
I would rather have the screw heads and washers than the caps.
Either way the resultant seal is better than the rivets working in the holes and working loose in the fiberglass.
While the fiberglass bulkheads may add some stiffness it is limited by the lack of the solid connection between the shell and bulkhead. This constant working will loosen any rivet.
The wood backing up the shell is more secure and bonds tighter in my opinion.
In my case I cut away the Ensolite along the bond joint and glued the new cabinets and bulkheads in along with screws as described for a stiffer build.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #8

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Wow, all this time I've been told to only use aluminum rivets. Of course with the usual scare. If you use screws the fiberglass shell will split in half and kill someone or your family. Now I find out Scamp the manufacture, has been using them all along. There is so much misinformation out there. By the way I also use airbags(aargh I'm going to die!). An engineer explained to me why the trucking industry uses them and how they do have weight distribution and why the industry doesn't use WDH. I was also told not to tow with a 4 cylinder, until these engineers explained to me the trucking industry horsepower and torque to load weight and size. I was told on one of the forums, " you don't want the tail wagging the dog effect with trailer sway." The engineer told me 18 wheelers have a very big tail! Lol! Have a great day!
Marky

Sent from my Nexus using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
Wow, all this time I've been told to only use aluminum rivets. Of course with the usual scare. If you use screws the fiberglass shell will split in half and kill someone or your family. Now I find out Scamp the manufacture, has been using them all along. There is so much misinformation out there...
Different application, different fastener. The old argument is about fastening fiberglass cabinets to the fiberglass shell, and the debated alternatives are aluminum rivets versus SS bolts and nuts. Here we're talking about fastening wood cabinets to the fiberglass shell with SS screws. The alternative would be internal tabbing, a la Escape. Not quite the same thing.

Had to chuckle at your larger point, though... we do tend to take our preferences and opinions seriously here! LOL
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
Wow, all this time I've been told to only use aluminum rivets. Of course with the usual scare. If you use screws the fiberglass shell will split in half and kill someone or your family. Now I find out Scamp the manufacture, has been using them all along. There is so much misinformation out there. By the way I also use airbags(aargh I'm going to die!). An engineer explained to me why the trucking industry uses them and how they do have weight distribution and why the industry doesn't use WDH. I was also told not to tow with a 4 cylinder, until these engineers explained to me the trucking industry horsepower and torque to load weight and size. I was told on one of the forums, " you don't want the tail wagging the dog effect with trailer sway." The engineer told me 18 wheelers have a very big tail! Lol! Have a great day!
Marky

Sent from my Nexus using Fiberglass RV
Bravo! Just shows that a healthy skepticism is at the root of all progress!

The screws of course, are wood screws. While it would be fine to use machine screws and nylocks on fiberglass cabinets, wood screws would not be practical.

Wow!! Those train drivers seem to know a lot about towing! (but they would, wouldn't they?)

Having had a CDL from inception and a "D" license before that, I can tell you that there is very little correlation between conventional semi-trucks and RV trailering.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #11

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
As a clarification the Scamp I had the rear "Wood" cabinets were not fastened with stainless steel screws, just plain rusty wood screws.
As an aside when I installed my bonded wood cabinets I used aircraft countersunk (flat head 100*) SS sheet-metal "B" tip screws. They don't have a point and I drilled pilot holes into the oak for then as they will grip better and not split the wood since they are not tapered like wood screws.

with these washers

to spread out the load. Actually since the wood was bonded to the shell without the Ensolite between the load after cure of the glue is spread out along the entire bond line and not concentrated at the screws.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #12

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Scamp Trailer Deluxe - Rivets Or Screws ?

Thanks for the info guys,
Godspeed.
Marky
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp