Scamp Used Value - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #1

Trailer: Airstream 16 ft OB
Noticed a fairly new Scamp on eBay with a starting price of around $10k. Is this about normal for a 6 year old 16 ft. trailer?
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Is it a bare bones trailer or totally optioned out? What's the overall condition?

See...there is no easy answer. AND this is what it's worth to the seller to sell... whether it's worth it to a buyer??

You might find it a benefit to read John Blair's post here: What is it Worth?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Plug the information into www.nada.com and U will get a $$ value however; they usually go for more than what NADA states. U will also get some descriptions as what a low, med, high $$ egg should look like.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:11 PM   #4

Thanks for the NADA link. The 2001 16 ft. Scamp should go for around $5k (not sure if I added the options correctly) based on their findings, which would make the eBay starting price of $10k considerably different.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #5

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
The NADA value WILL be much lower than reality in most cases. NADA determines prices based on the original price, with a depreciation factor applied for it's age. Since eggs are manufactured in low volumes, there isn't a lot of data for them to go by, so they apparently just apply similar depreciation factors as other small RVs. Eggs simply do not depreciate as quickly as stickies, so the NADA values get really skewed.

There are two advantages to this. First, occasionally someone decides to sell their egg based on the NADA valuation, so someone gets a really great buy. Second, if you live in an area where RVs are taxed as personal property, the tax value is determined by the NADA value, so it keeps your taxes low.

The disadvantage, of course, is that if you try to sell your egg, someone will invariably tell you that you are way overpriced. But, if you've done your homework, you know better, so stick to your researched price, and it will sell.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #6

Paul - I'm buying not selling to clarify my original post. Thanks for straightening me out on the NADA valuation.

The wife and I agreed (a rarity) about the size and layout of the 16 ft Scamp with side dinette configuration. I haven't found another comparable egg shaped trailer. Does anyone know of another trailer like it? The eBay offering is enticing but being located in San Diego makes the purchase challenging at best.

Question(s) - Does anyone know if the side dinette converts to another bed? Also, do these things have black and gray water holding tanks?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Zeb, you might check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scampers/messages because a similar thread is taking place there (seller of a Scamp 13) and one of the Scampers has done some pricing research based on real-world data for Scamps.

You do have to be a (free) Yahoo member to access the group.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Here R the NADA Value Explanations NADA gives U a place to start from and then U can base what U want to pay on what your other research has shown.
-----------------------------------------------

Prices shown are retail consumer values and to be considered as selling prices. Trade-in and loan values are confidential for our dealers and industry base subscribers. Trade-in values are to be determined by local dealers and are generally lower than values shown.

Low Retail Value — A low retail unit may have extensive wear and tear. Body parts may have dents and blemishes. The buyer can expect to invest in cosmetic and/or mechanical work. This vehicle should be in safe running order. Low retail vehicles usually are not found on dealer lots. Low retail should not be considered a trade-in value.

Average Retail Value — An average retail vehicle should be clean and without glaring defects. Tires and glass should be in good condition. The paint should match and have a good finish. The interior should have wear in relation to the age of the vehicle. Carpet and seat upholstery should be clean, and all power options should work. The mileage should be within the acceptable range for the model year.

An Average Retail vehicle on a dealer lot may include a limited warranty or guarantee, and possibly a current safety and/or emission inspection (where applicable).
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:36 AM   #9
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
The wife and I agreed (a rarity) about the size and layout of the 16 ft Scamp with side dinette configuration. I haven't found another comparable egg shaped trailer. Does anyone know of another trailer like it? The eBay offering is enticing but being located in San Diego makes the purchase challenging at best.

Question(s) - Does anyone know if the side dinette converts to another bed? Also, do these things have black and gray water holding tanks?
Casita makes a 16 ft. with side dinette. Check the Helpful-Links (navigation bar at left of each screen) for a list of websites of All Current (molded fiberglass) Trailer Brands. Also, our Albums have lots of pics of various trailers... although admittedly the Casita section is a bit thin. (Lots of Casitas in the Home Page photo Album, though!)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:22 PM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Zeb... in the FWIW department, I sold my loaded '02 Scamp 16 Custom Deluxe side dinette last year for $12,500 in near showroom condition. It had a honey oak interior and all of the amenities. The side dinette configuration in Scamp is relatively rare before '01 or '02, but since then I think that a significant portion of their production in the 16' have had the side dinette.

And the side dinette does make into a child (or small adult)-sized bed.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #11

Roger - Thanks for the information on your '02 Scamp sale. After doing a little research, mostly this forum as a source, I concluded that the recent eBay Scamp was worth looking at for the initial offered price. Unfortunately it was too far away to take the next step. That's OK though because now I know something that I didn't know before. All part of due diligence. Correct?

Tags
scamp