Scamp vs Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We're considering buying a lightweight travel trailer and have narrowed our choices to the 13' Scamp or Casita. We will be towing wth a Toyota RAV4 (4 cyl. w/1,500 lbs. towing capacity), so the Scamp definitely has the edge. Aside from a shower, I can't understand why the Casita weighs almost double that of the Scamp (anyone know?). I would also appreciate any information from folks who own either of these as to positives and negatives of the Scamp/Casita. Thanks!
Mikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #2

Quote:
We're considering buying a lightweight travel trailer and have narrowed our choices to the 13' Scamp or Casita. We will be towing wth a Toyota RAV4 (4 cyl. w/1,500 lbs. towing capacity), so the Scamp definitely has the edge. Aside from a shower, I can't understand why the Casita weighs almost double that of the Scamp (anyone know?). I would also appreciate any information from folks who own either of these as to positives and negatives of the Scamp/Casita. Thanks!
Hi
I can't give a comparision between Scamp and Casita, but i have seen both and think they are both good. What i do know is that i have a 13 foot Trillium with a toilet. The Trillium fully loaded for 2 weeks of travelling and camping was just over 1700lbs. Some of these units are not as light as we may think. A lot depends on options. I towed my trill with a Rav 4 v6 rated for 3500lbs.

I also know that a number of folks here do pull 13ft units with 4 cylindar vehicles. Hopefully some others will chim in with there experiances.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. The Scamp website lists its weight as 1,000 lbs. (without options). Could they be low-balling?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the info. The Scamp website lists its weight as 1,000 lbs. (without options). Could they be low-balling?
That weight could be a barebones unit. Lets hope a Scamp owner jumps in to help.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

The key here is [b]without options. My 2006 with lots of options weighs a bit over 1500 lbs ready to go. That's will a full tank of water and a full propane tank. With the Scamp you'll probably be real close to your limit.

I had the same problem you're having in deciding which I wanted. The deciding item was the inside height. Pre fire Scamp 13' is listed as 6' 1" inside, Casita is listed as 5' 10". Adding headliner and carpet they're a bit less.

There seems to be a lot more 13' Scamps around than 13' Casitas.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:27 PM   #6

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-30-2007, 01:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Byron... do you mean after the fire? I thought they raised it after the fire.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Byron... do you mean after the fire? I thought they raised it after the fire.
I believe it's either 6' 3" or 6' 4" after the fire. Mine is pre-fire.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 1987 13 ft Casita
My 87 Casita was listed as 950 lbs shipping weight. It was stretched quite a bit. I took the camper to get weighed. It had no water on board and a full 10lb propane bottle. It has an icebox and stove and really nothing else, no food, no bath, no portapotty, no nothing (except for the "standard" built in stuff). It weighed in at 1280 lbs. So adding stuff meant deleting stuff to comfortably tow in Colorado Mountains with my Element.

I've been slowly changing doors, ripping out some carpet, looking at new table options and thinking about taking the icebox out and storing it while building in a cabinet of some sort in it's space. All to lighten the load. Although it's been fun.

Paula
Paula Bindrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 87 Scamp 13 ft
I pull a 13' scamp with a Dodge Dakota, 4 cyl. 120 hp. 5 spd. manuel trans. rated to tow 2000 lb. I some times forget it is back there. I have also been down to 40 mph. in 3 rd. gear on the interstate.
JOE DRISSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
We recently purchased our '94 Scamp with a few previous owner mods: A/C in the bottom of the closet, tiny Titan on demand water heater, am/fm/cassette radio over the sink, etc. When we weighed it at the truck scales, I was surpised to see the weight come in at 1350 lb. I was a tad shocked. The scamp has a sink, 2 burner stove, all electric frig, outside shower, and spare tire on the back. It only has a 10lb propane tank. I would not have thought those items would be extras in weight, but it still weighs 1350 - which is a tad high for pulling it with our Pontiac Vibe [unless we plan to camp only 10 miles away at the state park]. Add the bedding, food, cookware, etc, and it could go up.

Does anyone have a 900 lb. Scamp? Is there such a thing?

Edit: I forgot the factory installed awning... more weight.

Sheryl
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:50 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Mike, we've got a Scamp 13, no shower, extra cabinets. I tow it with a Subaru Baja and have had no problems. I would estimate that loaded, but no water, mine would come in at about 1400, this would include two bicycles. I don't have any first hand experience with Casitas, but we are crazy about our Scamp.
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:40 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
We tow our 13 ft. 2002 Scamp with a Honda CR-V. My thoughts on the weight are simlar to the above posts. With your Toyota I would keep the trailer options at a minimum, to save weight. No shower / water heater, etc. We always find showers at campgrounds. We ordered ours with a toilet and awning. And brakes (we live in No. Calif. foothills). Have towed it to Canada and back, no problems. I don't know the torque on your Rav, but if it is similar to our Honda, you should have no problems.
Garret Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I have a 2005 Scamp 13 without a bathroom. It does have sink, porta potti, stove, awning. Not sure what it weighs but full of gear and water have no problems towing it with a 2005 Subaru Forester X (5 speed manual) , even on the back roads in the Adirondacks. On the interstate you hardly even notice it is there. Get 20 mpg towing. Very happy with the combination.
Mikeny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp