Scamp vs Pop-Up ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #15
Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
CindyL, that is EXACTLY what my little daughter and I did during our trip, watching people set up their pop-ups while enjoying our food hehe! And we also rested in Cafe Egg while taking stops during traveling. I guess I am a "stereotypical" fiberglass owner then... We just returned from Milton Ontario.

OP, good choice BTW! Fiberglass is really easy on you, and comfortable. You will enjoy your Scamp! Even I manage to set Cafe Egg up, being all by myself.

Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #16
Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
I just had to pipe in on this one. When I was a kid, my family had a Bonair pop up. And the biggest reason was family size. I've seen campers, fifth wheels and even motor homes that don't sleep as many as pop ups. My family was fairly large, and if we had a 13' Boler or Scamp, a couple of us would have been relegated to a tent. You want to sleep 6, look at the fifth wheel scamp, but forget about towing with a car.

But, I also have many a memory of the uber foul language that would come from my father's mouth every time he and mom set up the thing, and took it down. And I remember the door never worked properly unless you were 100% level, no ifs, ands or buts. And then the rain. I'd wake up in the morning and touch the canvas. Don't touch the canvas! Great, now I'm wet.

For me, it was the inevitable and perpetual inconveniences that came along with that pop up, that I'll never own one. And to go back to my first paragraph, I right now have two children and a 13' Boler. If we have child #3, and we probably will, I want sooooo badly a Scamp fifth wheel! Or....oldest gets to sleep in a tent!! :~)

GordM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #17
Trailer: Casita 16 ft Freedom Standard
On our Casita pickup trip back from Rice, TX, we ran into horrible traffic north of Nashville. Thankfully, we were able to push over to the shoulder so my 6-year old and I could use the emergency "pee bucket" in the privacy of our egg (were were still miles from the nearest exit).
Sheri N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #18
Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
sounds like that sandra bullock movie with Hugh grant when she runs to that motorhome on the freeway
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #19
Name: Brandy
I too almost made the pop up purchase . Neighbor had one and said its yours, so I said let me try and put it together by myself ( wanted the full effect) dang if it didn't start raining and I was soaking wet and [at]#$%^ Made the decision right then I never wanted that hassle. Now in my scamp when we pull over to rest stops etc. we all pile in, I make lunch, we chill...and then back on the road. I'd never have been able to do that with a pop up....enjoy your trailer and the new "club"
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #20
Name: N/A
Trailer: 1985 AND 1988 Casita Patriot Deluxe 13'ers. 10 eggs shy of a carton!
I know you just got that Scamp (congratulations!) but this is a good thread topic. So I'll throw in my 2 cents.

My sister is claustrophobic, so that's why they like the pop-ups. They had one for years when their kids were little, and now that they're retired they're in the market for another one. I'm not sure they know about park restrictions due to bear issues...since Yellowstone and Glacier are in their proposed areas of travel, I need to check with them.

I've already told them I could probably find them their dream trailer here in Oregon. Craigslist is full of them....folks don't realize how inconvenient they are to deal with in the rain until they learn firsthand.
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:05 AM   #21
Trailer: Jayco Pop-up
As a long time owner of a Jayco popup camper, I feel I should speak on behalf of them. Ours is a 1995. We pulled it all around the country and camped with 2 children in it. Slept very comfortably. Best family times of my life were spent in that camper. Setting up never bothered me even in the rain. It was work but I always figured "setting up camp" was what you did when you went camping. Before the camper, we had a tent and "set up camp." Sometimes we would get wet but we never let the rain spoil our good time. We often ended up laughing at how wet we got.

Having said that, here I am, mostly lurking (this is my first post), on a forum for fiberglass campers. I am intrigued by the concept and am considering a purchase. There are some distinct advantages I am reading about but less sleeping space is a disadvantage for us. There's just my wife and I now. The kids are grown up so maybe we don't need the sleeping space, but we would like room for possible grandchildren. On the one hand...but on the other hand...

NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote