Scamp Weights - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you look out in front of those "Tiny Houses" you often see an equally "Tiny Car" that would be overloaded pulling a 300 lb motorcycle tent-trailer. I don't think that many of the Tiny House group will become members of the FGRV group. Their 48 mpg Hybrids pretty much preclude membership, and families with kids are all but non-existent. Tent camping is their venue.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
If you look out in front of those "Tiny Houses" you often see an equally "Tiny Car" that would be overloaded pulling a 300 lb motorcycle tent-trailer. I don't think that many of the Tiny House group will become members of the FGRV group. Their 48 mpg Hybrids pretty much preclude membership, and families with kids are all but non-existent. Tent camping is their venue.....
Actually, tiny house on tiny lot combined with tiny FGRV for travel would be a nice and frugal lifestyle. I have followed the tiny house movement for some time now and one can rent a U-Haul or similar to move the trailer, now and then.

Brochures tend to be eye-candy when it comes to RVs. Now, I think the T@B is a really nice looking unit but trying to find something with a low tongue weight, as we all know, is really difficult when you want the wet bath. It is even hard in a pop-up.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:22 PM   #23

Name: elizabeth
Trailer: T@B
Oregon
I'm looking deeper into the T@B tongue weight issue. My cronies on the Volvo sites are laughing their heads off and posting photos of the kinds of things they pull with their Volvos... In Europe and in the UK they are easily pulling the T@B XL...

The wagon is rated to pull at least 3300lbs. It's that bloody tongue weight.

SO you can imagine my confusion.
THanks for keeping us safe!
ORshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Perhaps you're right, Bob, though I think there is a subspecies of the "tiny house movement" that owns a truck to move them. They tend to be the rural, off-the-grid types.

And having children does change everything. It's amazing how many people abandon all their "principles" and become totally conventional when the kids arrive. Marriage sometimes does the same thing… LOL… As a bachelor I lived in a 24' trailer and later in an 800 sf cabin (garage was almost as big as the house- miss that garage!). Now married, two kids, his-and-hers SUVs, 1750 sf house,… But I still have a tiny trailer!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Owner of Tiny House

I hadn't thought of it before but we own a tiny house in FL. The house part is 40'x12' for 480 square feet, bedroom, bath, kitchen/dining and living room, cost $15,000. It costs us $1300 a year coop fees and we only pay for electricity; taxes are $35 a year. FL allows small homes.

It has a unattached shed, 10 x 16' .

As well it has an attached FL room, 12' x 32' with thermopane windows. Both the house and FL room are air conditioned. The room is multi-purposed

It's perfectly sized for us.

We can easily sleep 6, if necessary we can park the Scamp beside the house and Ginny and I can stay in there if we have more than 6.

Florida is a magic place, there's affordable living for just about any income level.

The FL room is great for entertaining. Last year we had well over 100 people over for dinner or parties. Next year every other week we'll have coffee in the park at our place.

It did take us 8 years to get a lot at our Escapee park.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #26

I just don't know that 864 sq.ft. of living space would fit the general description of a "Tiny House", which is generally thought of as 400 sq.ft. or less, or about the size of your Florida room alone. You have the palace at Versailles, including the Hall of Mirrors, compared to that. LOL...
Tiny House FAQs

And the "Tiny House" peeps turn their noses up at RV's as being space inefficient. LOL (again

Old 08-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #27

Cronies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORshepherd View Post
I'm looking deeper into the T@B tongue weight issue. My cronies on the Volvo sites are laughing their heads off and posting photos of the kinds of things they pull with their Volvos... In Europe and in the UK they are easily pulling the T@B XL...

As we often parrot, "What happens in Europe stays in Europe"

I don't have access to the European Volvo specs, but, as a rule they are more lenient than ours, BUT they have much more restrictive speed limits and drivers license requirements than in North America.

If you haven't read it yet, here are some towing speed limits for Europe. Note that Sweden (as well as Volvo in many owners manuals) limits towing speed to 50 MPH.
Speed limits | Overseas Holidays | The Caravan Club

And to mention: That seemingly high limit for France includes the towing weight limit + the vehicles actual weight for the in determining allowable towing speed. Volvo's would all get the lower limit (56 MPH) when towing.

And, as oft heard, "All the Cronies in the world doing the wrong thing, doesn't make it one step closer to being right".

Old 08-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #28

An Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORshepherd View Post

Here is a possible answer:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/odd-looking-camper-trailer-70844.html#post538980

Old 08-01-2015, 05:24 PM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I would find a way to beef up the rear suspension. If air bags are available, that could help.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, weight