scamp without carpet on the walls? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Can you even imagine what it would be like to be in a [b]single-hull trailer sans interior covering (of any kind) in a rain storm Makes my ears ring just to think about it.
EH? SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

It actually isn't that bad, sounds kind of nice to me.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #22

Trailer: 1968 Flat top Boler (serial # 92)
my 1968 boler doesn't have anything on the walls and never has had--no prob with outside noise. it is raw fibre glas and it does not sweat. the walls have one coat of latex paint. no problem with noise getting out and I play the bagpipes and practice with my chanter inside in evenings fun posting
Quote:
EH? SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

It actually isn't that bad, sounds kind of nice to me.
sidney lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:10 PM   #23

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We have ensolite in our Scamp and when it rains, you might as well forget about sleeping. The noise is deafening! And that's with ear plugs! I'd probably sleep better in the screen room. If I buy another FGRV, it will have to be better insulated for sound.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
It's me again! I emailed the Scamp Factory about cleaning the marine fabric after reading another post asking about cleaning the fabric in the Scamp. I also asked what the insulation they use is called. This is their reply:
"Adrian,
Use a fabric cleaner to clean the marine fabric. The insulation is called Astro-foil.
Kent Eveland"

It never hurts to ask the Horse to get an anwer from the Horse's mouth.

Adrain

http://www.astrofoil.net/astrofoil.insulation.home.html

http://www.astrofoil.net/

http://www.astrofoil.net/website.ima...ROLLsample.jpg

http://www.astrofoil.net/website.images/shuttle100.jpg

http://www.astrofoil.net/astrofoil.i....r-values.html
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #25

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
I do not believe you can order a Scamp with Carpet, they install Marine Fabric....you can get carpet from Casita, however.
We like the Marine Fabric.....**Backus does not like the term "Rat Fur", nor do we. It just does not look like rat fur, wrong color for rat fur, not really furry. A Fuzzy Downy Wooly, yes, a Soft Fuzz Down would be it, perhaps.

**"The marine fabric (they prefer this term over 'ratfur' ) looks better than I imagined and is supposed to be very water, mold, mildew and odor resistant." http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...l=Scamp+factory

Ensolite (Elephant Hyde) looks a lot like vinyl couch uphostery, easy to clean but dated. Not like fuzzy-woolydown and very water, mold, mildew and odor resistant and so soft to the touch and to bumped heads and elbows.

I believe Casita makes a unit for export to Japan without the carpet.

DesertHawk

Edit added: Perhaps Scamp would let you get one without the fabric installed and you could have the walls finished to your liking. Under the marine fabric is a space aged bubble wrap-like metalic insulation, which seems to work well. R-15. Maybe get two layers of it put in and figure a way to cover it without the tan fuzzy-woolydown. Maybe a poromeric imitation leather would work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poromer...tation_leather My first thought was Naugahyde. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naugahyde And it seems they still make it: http://www.naugahyde.com/

Naugahyde over the space-age bubble wrap insulation. It will work, I just know it would work. Scamp might even glue it on for you if you bought the Naugahyde and had it at the factory for them.

But Remember: Sleeping in a travel trailer with ceiling and walls coved in tan fuzzy-woolydown must be something like sleeping in a Marcipual's Pouch. Cozy!
Wow your post made me go back in time and think of the tuck and roll jobs you could get in Mexico really cheap.
I know ,I know ,it dates me.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:47 AM   #26

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
pjanits: "...........the tuck and roll jobs you could get in Mexico really cheap." I got my '65 Mustang's (the name/term escapes me at the moment) "deck" (in back of the back seat to the rear window) tuck & rolled in Harlingen, TX in 1965 for a good price (done by Mexicans by the way) and a little black pellow to go between the bucket seats. So my date could ride close. The T & R was all black as well as were the seats in the 'Tang. Mexico is less than 8 miles away from Harlingen as a crow flys....26 to Brownsville and the border, maybe less to Progresso. But this little shop did good work and at home. I would not have taken my new car to Mexico. I can still cry because I sold that car.

DesertHawk
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:01 AM   #27

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
We have ensolite in our Scamp and when it rains, you might as well forget about sleeping. The noise is deafening! And that's with ear plugs! I'd probably sleep better in the screen room. If I buy another FGRV, it will have to be better insulated for sound.
Sandra
Might be a personal preferrence thing. I have ensolite in my Surfside and I really enjoy sleeping in it when it's raining.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:45 AM   #28

Trailer: Boler 1984
If you read carefully, Between the lines, you will find that mainly those without carpeting don't like it and those with carpeting like it very much. We are in the latter catagory.
We've had our carpeted Boler for 14 years and love the interior walls. Good insulating properties, doesn't sweat, mildew resistant, easy to maintain, nice to the touch, AND you can hang a picture or callendar anywhere just by adding a little stick-on velcro to the back side and stick it up wherever.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #29

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Can you even imagine what it would be like to be in a single-hull trailer sans interior covering (of any kind) in a rain storm Makes my ears ring just to think about it.
Interesting thread! I'd like to pop in here, too, with observations from this, our first journey in the Compact Jr., and questions for our future.

The kid who owned the trailer before us thought the noise of rain on the roof was so horrific that he installed vinyl floor tiles on the EXTERIOR of the trailer. Clearly, it didn't work. (And they've been removed since they looked like crap, didn't do anything helpful and were peeling up and flying off as we rolled down the highway from home immediately upon purchase.)

The kid also found the lack of insulation in the CJ was terrible. He installed the space-age bubblewrap. It looks really funky, but I can tell you it WORKS! When we were in Oregon early on this first trip (nothing like an 8,000-mile maiden voyage!) I opened the closet (not insulated) one morning and heat POURED out! The sun was already on that side of the trailer, and though the top is tan, it was collecting a LOT of heat. The rest of the trailer (lined) was not. SO glad I didn't wrip off the space alien skin!

HOWEVER, I would like to cover the insulation. I was thinking about some doorskin type paneling (wood, hard, durable and relatively lightweight), or some sort of other material that would be durable (keep in mind - small children also travel in this trailer). The Rat Fur sounds promising. (Save the Naugas! No more hides!) BUT, how do I secure the fur/carpet/marine lining over this insulation of questionable insulation? It appears he used some sort of contact glue to connect it to the walls. On a hot day, I removed a thin strip from the roof. (It was impeding the top folding.)

Looking forward to reading on!

Jen (on the road in Bismarck, ND today)

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #30

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
JenPB,
I used a spray adhesive made be 3M called General Trim Adhesive (part number 08080) to hold the insulation inside my generator enclosure. Upholstery shops use it frequently and it can be purchased where automotive paint supplies are sold. Good auto parts stores will probably sell it also.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:38 PM   #31

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
Can you even imagine what it would be like to be in a single-hull trailer sans interior covering (of any kind) in a rain storm Makes my ears ring just to think about it.
Isn't the top seam of the burro also single walled without its carpeting? Is that carpeting necessary for sound deadening/moisture reduction?...sorry that I haven't responded sooner...I have been having trouble accessing since the site changed servers. One main computer I use still thinks its offline.
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #32

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I would like to cover the insulation... material that would be durable (keep in mind - small children also travel in this trailer).

BUT, how do I secure the fur/carpet/marine lining over this insulation of questionable insulation? It appears he used some sort of contact glue to connect it to the walls.
My 1st trailer was a gutted out Compact Jr. that I refitted to the best of my naive ability way back when...

The interior of mine was a mustard-yellow paint that I knew I could improve upon. I read up on how Scamp applied the shiny foil/bubble wrap like stuff and then a soft material over that, so I decided to do something similar. But, I wanted a washable surface, so I browsed the fabric aisle in WalMart. I decided to use Oilcloth over the insulation on the walls, and Denim to cover the cushions. The Oilcloth pattern I chose was a light blue with tiny white dots. Here is how it turned out:

Name:   trailer07.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  44.9 KB

I used a 3M Spray Adhesive to glue up the wall insulation and covering.
Attached Images

Tags
scamp