scamp without carpet on the walls? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Has anyone tried to order a new scamp without the carpet? I sure like the finished walls of my burro.

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
The Burro's have a double wall that why it's got a nice interior wall. A Scamp without carpet would be like the interior wall of your closet. Nasty scratchy fiberglass without gelcoat.

I'm not sure who else has double wall construction but I have seen a few others that do it.
Scamp and Casita do not.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I have a 13' Scamp -- NO carpet or rat fir on my walls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	no_078aa.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	15293
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Has anyone tried to order a new scamp without the carpet? I sure like the finished walls of my burro.

Pam
There's a lot of advantages to the carpet on the walls, mostly it provides insulation from both temperatures and noise. It's also easier on the head when you bump into it.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
[quote]I have a 13' Scamp -- NO carpet or rat fir on my walls.

Attachment 15293

Ahh! Elephant Hyde.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Elephant Hyde, is that the technical name for this or just made up name?
1983 13' Scamp all original inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	no_076aaa.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	15294
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #7

Quote:
There's a lot of advantages to the carpet on the walls, mostly it provides insulation from both temperatures and noise. It's also easier on the head when you bump into it.
Ah, but I am short...hard to hit my head unless I really try!!

Pam
Old 08-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #8

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
The EggCamper has double wall construction so you get a nice gelcoat finish on the inside. Same general idea as the Burro and no rat fur or elephant hide.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #9

Quote:
The Burro's have a double wall that why it's got a nice interior wall. A Scamp without carpet would be like the interior wall of your closet. Nasty scratchy fiberglass without gelcoat.

I'm not sure who else has double wall construction but I have seen a few others that do it.
Scamp and Casita do not.
Does it have to be double walled to be finished? I thought boat hulls were single walls...and they are finished inside. couldn't one finish the interior if they wanted to?

Pam
Old 08-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
The finished parts of boat hulls are double wall. Look inside hull compartments or under hatches for the ugly truth.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Elephant Hyde - aka ensolite - a closed cell foam with a tough white top. Standard in a lot of trailers, like my Surfside. I've never had a trailer with carpet, but it seems to me ensolite give you the best of insulation, noise reduction and cleanability.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs down

I do not believe you can order a Scamp with Carpet, they install Marine Fabric....you can get carpet from Casita, however.
We like the Marine Fabric.....**Backus does not like the term "Rat Fur", nor do we. It just does not look like rat fur, wrong color for rat fur, not really furry. A Fuzzy Downy Wooly, yes, a Soft Fuzz Down would be it, perhaps.

**"The marine fabric (they prefer this term over 'ratfur' ) looks better than I imagined and is supposed to be very water, mold, mildew and odor resistant." http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...l=Scamp+factory

Ensolite (Elephant Hyde) looks a lot like vinyl couch uphostery, easy to clean but dated. Not like fuzzy-woolydown and very water, mold, mildew and odor resistant and so soft to the touch and to bumped heads and elbows.

I believe Casita makes a unit for export to Japan without the carpet.

DesertHawk

Edit added: Perhaps Scamp would let you get one without the fabric installed and you could have the walls finished to your liking. Under the marine fabric is a space aged bubble wrap-like metalic insulation, which seems to work well. R-15. Maybe get two layers of it put in and figure a way to cover it without the tan fuzzy-woolydown. Maybe a poromeric imitation leather would work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poromer...tation_leather My first thought was Naugahyde. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naugahyde And it seems they still make it: http://www.naugahyde.com/

Naugahyde over the space-age bubble wrap insulation. It will work, I just know it would work. Scamp might even glue it on for you if you bought the Naugahyde and had it at the factory for them.

But Remember: Sleeping in a travel trailer with ceiling and walls coved in tan fuzzy-woolydown must be something like sleeping in a Marcipual's Pouch. Cozy!
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:49 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Scamps with wood interiors:

http://www.scamptrailers.com/Showroom/Delu...dInteriors.aspx
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #14

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Does it have to be double walled to be finished?
No. I have been in several older single wall trailers with painted fiberglass interiors.. no ensolite or carpet. The "stuff" was either removed by the owner(s) and repainted, or it simply never had it.

You will suffer from lack of insulation tho. I am sure Scamp would be happy to listen to the question. If there is a reason they don't want to leave it off, they will tell you.

Call and ask.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Can you even imagine what it would be like to be in a single-hull trailer sans interior covering (of any kind) in a rain storm Makes my ears ring just to think about it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
We were in a rainstorm in our Trill last month and even with ensolite it was far louder than our tin roof on our house =)
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

We had some heavy rain storms in Glenburn, ND during July when we spend a month or so there this summer, we could hear the rain hitting the roof, but not a LOUD noise at all, mainly the metal escape hatch was where the rain drops would make a racket. The insulated bubble foil plus the marine fabric makes it a really quiet unit. So much so with the windows closed we often miss out on coyotes howling and owl hooting, which I do like to hear. It is much quieter than previous RVs we have had and tents.

Being from New Mexico, we love to hear the sound of rain on the roof.

DesertHawk
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:10 PM   #18

Registry
Hey, I have two hulls AND insulation..

still is like trying to sleep inside a popcorn popper!
Old 08-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
So much so with the windows closed we often miss out on coyotes howling and owl hooting, which I do like to hear.
This has created a somewhat amusing problem for me in the Burro. In my duties as "security guard and people squelcher" at the campground I host at on weekends, I sometimes miss the noisy campers.

This last weekend, the other host knocked on my door and asked "Didn't you hear them?"
"No..who?"
"The guys in 70. They had their car door open and stereo blasting. I had 5 people come up and complain"
"oops. I can't hear anything in here with the windows closed"

I now leave the front window wide open and run the heater if it's chilly
Old 08-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Pamela H,
Another consideration might be the "sweat factor" of single wall fiberglass construction. When it is cool outside your moist breath and any moisture from making tea, coffee or cooking will condense on the walls unless there is insulation.

Nuestra Casita's walls and ceiling have about 7/16" foam insulation between the carpeting and the molded fiberglass. After 8 years, the carpeting still looks good with only an occasional vacuuming. Comfortable temps, quietness and easy maintenance are the desirable traits we enjoy with our stock interior.

That said, the carpet on the floor is showing the wear & tear that one would expect of kitchen carpet in one's home after 8 years. All floor treatment usually leaves something to be desired. Wood, floor tiles, sheet vinyl or other "smooth" surfaces allow grit on the bottom of shoes to result in harm to the surface. Throw rugs would seem to be the obvious answer, but they usually migrate, wrinkle and provide a tripping hazard. We tried an "L" shaped carpet runner with bound edges, on top of the original carpet, but it also migrates and wrinkles. We haven't come up with a simple way to secure it at the bed end so it would be easily removable for shaking.
It will be interesting to see what the test of time reveals for flooring.

You've brought up an interesting topic which should ultimately add to our collective education,
thanks,
Kurt & Ann K.

Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp