Scamp13 owners, how many can they REALLY sleep? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #29

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christyn Midwestyn View Post
Oh my goodness, do you have any contact/pictures/etc of that mod? We are very very creative and handy...I design interiors as well so this will not be a very standard trailer by the end one way or another . I would so love to see how they did that. I think also if possible we would get the 54" bed, I've been wondering, what gets smaller to make the bed bigger? Is the kitchenette smaller?
The kitchenette and closet are 9" narrower. All deluxe models have the 54" bed. Starting 2014 it's also an option on the 13' standard.

I was looking for this and finally found it: Adding a bunk bed to our front bath 13' Scamp

Old 08-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #30

Name: Christyn
Trailer: About to take the plunge...
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The kitchenette and closet are 9" narrower. The deluxe models have the 54" bed. Standard models can have it as an option.

I was looking for this and finally found it: Adding a bunk bed to our front bath 13' Scamp
Losing the closet space and kitchen space is no problem, wish I could eliminate the closet entirely!
Wow thank you so much for finding this! It looks like it works perfect for now but I wonder what their plan is when he is older...the construction is certainly simple enough but is the fiberglass shell able to support the extra weight? I assume a 'full' bunk bed over the dinette bed with a larger child or adult would certainly be too heavy to rely on the fiberglass and would need its own support framing?

Old 08-04-2015, 03:07 PM   #31

Name: Mr
Trailer: small
State
The beauty of that design is that it is readily removable and stowable, so the dinette can still be used. It would give you a 45' long bed, or 54" long if you got either a new model, or one with the wood interior. If you moved it to the other side, and put it at the appropriate height, you could extend the bunk out over the kitchen a bit as your child grows.

If you wanted to make a larger bunk, the fiberglass is pretty strong if you spread the stress out over enough area. If I were doing it, I would bond a wood cleat to the fiberglass around the area, using Gorilla Glue, and attach the bunk to that. But, a simpler way would be to just support it with slender legs down to the seat bases and floor below.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #32

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Christyn -

I was glad Jon was able to find that mod for you.
I'm not convinced that it is a great long term solution for you, but at
least now you have it.

Perhaps I missed your tow vehicle capability? I think that is important to
the discussion. The front bathroom, HW heater etc. added weight that I didn't think that I could afford. If you have not read the "Trailer Weights
in the Real World" thread, I would highly suggest it.

I equate most trailer bathrooms to the bathrooms found on airliners and
cruise ships .... barely big enough to be functional.

Like others, I hate blackwater issues, dump stations lines, etc.
I much prefer the flush toilets and larger showers of most campgrounds.
In the Robin Williams movie "RV", I found the segment where he is
dumping someone else's blackwater out of the rental RV both hilarious
and also humorously painful to watch.

For inclement weather and emergencies, we have found that a Little John,
Lady J, or porta-potty can usually fill the nighttime bathroom need.

I configured our Scamp13 for a tow vehicle with a published 1500lb tow
weight maximum. Pictures of our trailer can be found in the later segments
of the following thread:
Scamp Full Size Bed = Smaller Table Size
Scamp Full Size Bed = Smaller Table Size

We really like the larger 54" bed. And, when the dinette/bed remains down
on our longer treks with 1-night stop overs, we really like the availability
of the sofa to sit down on to change clothes, read a map (or book), or have
a meal on a portable table .... especially if there is inclement weather
outside.

Sleeping outside in a tent doesn't work well for a WalMart or Flying J
parking lot for catching just a little sleep (for free) before moving on to
our next longer term destination.

Although it may have been mentioned, I would highly suggest that you
try to attend a FGRV camping rally and look at as many units as you can.
You will see a great many examples of how people have purchased and/or
modified their trailers to suit their individual camping styles.

If you haven't found the YouTube videos for the CLAM Outdoors screen
rooms/tents, here are a couple to watch:

CLAM Six Pack .... The others don't compare.
Clam Corporation 9881 Quick Set Traveler Shelter

Ray
Old 08-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #33

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Christyn,

Can you get by with using a portable shower instead of the installed front bath version? I did a modification installing a portable front shower while retaining the bunks and the porta-potti. It would allow you to have a shower as well as having both bunks for future use. The thread is here:

Installing a front dinette while retaining bunks, couch and porta-potti in 13' Scamp"

Jim
Old 08-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #34

Missouri
Christyn,

There is a Algonac rally coming up soon in the Midwest. Also, there is a really nice
LBL (Land Between the Lakes) rally down by the Kentucky/Tennessee border.

As Dennis Archer pointed out at the last LBL rally, most all of the trailer bathroom
toilets are really in effect porta-potties with a larger blackwater holding tank
mounted on the bottom of the trailer. They are not like your porcelain facilities at
home. A couple of the top brands of porta-potties seem to be the Thetford and Scamp-offered Dometic. You can find descriptions of how to use those out on YouTube.

Ray
Old 08-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #35

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I would just go with the front bunk/couch, with Porta-Pottie under the center storage. Zodi shower system, pop up shower tent/changing room to use it in.

Nice thing about a porta-pottie you can empty them just about any toilet from the outhouse at a rustic park to the toilets at a rest area.

Those Zodi showers take up little space and if water is recycled into the bucket for a bit can take snow melt water up to shower temps. Use the water system in camper and for at least some of your personal hygiene you can just wash up.

http://www.amazon.com/ZODI-Outback-G.../dp/B000X4IAMS might be available for less from Costco if you are a member and they make a less expensive model.

Just an example of the type of shower/toilet changing tent I was talking about not a model I personally endorse, ask around a fair number of folks have used them.
Amazon.com : DEALKOO Portable Pop up Tent Camping Beach Toilet Shower Changing Room Outdoor : Sports & Outdoors

One huge advantage of the bunks is you either have a place to sit (or nap) separate from dining table/bed. OR you have a bottom bunk for child and can use the top as a big shelf/storage area while parked. Clothes for 3 can easily be accessed if stored on the top bunk. It is only at window height.

As kids get older they move out into a tent and all your other camping equipment and routine remains the same. I know us kids (the boys anyway) wanted to be out there as soon as we were allowed. Pretty sure did not break mom and dads heart to have us shaven house apes outside. May have been a small concern that we would give the wildlife no peace but....
Old 08-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #36

Name: Christyn
Trailer: About to take the plunge...
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
Christyn,

Can you get by with using a portable shower instead of the installed front bath version? I did a modification installing a portable front shower while retaining the bunks and the porta-potti. It would allow you to have a shower as well as having both bunks for future use. The thread is here:

Installing a front dinette while retaining bunks, couch and porta-potti in 13' Scamp"

Jim
Jim oh my goodness I'm going through your thread and it's blowing my mind! There's really no end to the creativity you can have in these little guys, I'm totally squirreling this info away. I really need to learn how these port-potties work, I was under the impression they were "outside only", but yours is obviously meant to be used inside, I'm intrigued by your shower as well...genius
Old 08-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #37

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
I second Norm's point about front bath units being much darker without the large front window. I have owned both and was surprised how much more closed in it feels. The windows are pretty small anyway and I miss the front window. Still we are outside most of the time so its of little matter and we love the front bath. Just saying.

John
Old 08-04-2015, 06:28 PM   #38

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
This will work with one or two small children (under 4ft)
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0090.JPG  
Old 08-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #39

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Christyn,

"I'm intrigued by your shower as well...genius". Thank you for those very nice words, I owe it all to my mentor, Y. Lee Coyote!
Jim
Old 08-05-2015, 04:28 AM   #40

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool Answer to Post #9

"if the closet to the left of the door when you walk in was removed"

DON'T DO IT.

The seats in the four corners, and the closet and kitchen are glassed in for a reason. THEY ARE STRUCTURAL.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #41

Missouri
Scamp13 owners, how many can they REALLY sleep?

Like RogerDat said, I would suggest going with the front sofa/bunks and an outside privacy shelter (for a porta-potty and/or outside shower).

If you should decide to do the bunk over the foot of the bed, I would suggest supporting it from the bottom (I.e. A support post going down to the seat below). Do not try to support any significant weight from any upper cabinetry. The upper cabinets are just supported by fairly soft rivets. I think those cabinets are only intended for clothes and/or paper goods, etc.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The one thing about these 13 foot trailers is if you pay a fair price for a used one and you don't butcher it up you can always resell it and get most or all of your money back in the condition you bought it for. Upgrades and remodeling costs your probably gonna eat and any deferred maintenance costs you will eat.
The trailer has to have good tires, bearings and a battery and all appliances working. If you buy a trailer needing this stuff you will not normally recoup these repair costs as they are already expected to be there in working condition.

So if buying this trailer ends up being a mistake it won't be the biggest mistake you've ever made.

Any ways this is supposed to be fun. Can't be fun until you anti up and play the game.

I love my 13 Scamp without the front bath. But there's only 2 of us and we have the top bunk removed and the bottom base cut to make a small table or front bed for one. We keep the back bed down and never have put it up for a table.

Every camp ground we go to has bathrooms and we take the porta-potty when we boondock or for late night emergency's where the bathroom is just too far away. There's no privacy in a 13 foot trailer not for 2 or more people. Cramming yourself into a tiny bathroom with 3 other people just a couple of feet away is no way private. Might as well be in the middle of the trailer with a paper sack over your head.

Best wishes and hope this works out well for you. I wish I didn't wait until I was 54 years old before I gave up sleeping in a tent.

Tags
scamp