Scamp13 owners, how many can they REALLY sleep? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #41

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Scamp13 owners, how many can they REALLY sleep?

Like RogerDat said, I would suggest going with the front sofa/bunks and an outside privacy shelter (for a porta-potty and/or outside shower).

If you should decide to do the bunk over the foot of the bed, I would suggest supporting it from the bottom (I.e. A support post going down to the seat below). Do not try to support any significant weight from any upper cabinetry. The upper cabinets are just supported by fairly soft rivets. I think those cabinets are only intended for clothes and/or paper goods, etc.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:03 PM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The one thing about these 13 foot trailers is if you pay a fair price for a used one and you don't butcher it up you can always resell it and get most or all of your money back in the condition you bought it for. Upgrades and remodeling costs your probably gonna eat and any deferred maintenance costs you will eat.
The trailer has to have good tires, bearings and a battery and all appliances working. If you buy a trailer needing this stuff you will not normally recoup these repair costs as they are already expected to be there in working condition.

So if buying this trailer ends up being a mistake it won't be the biggest mistake you've ever made.

Any ways this is supposed to be fun. Can't be fun until you anti up and play the game.

I love my 13 Scamp without the front bath. But there's only 2 of us and we have the top bunk removed and the bottom base cut to make a small table or front bed for one. We keep the back bed down and never have put it up for a table.

Every camp ground we go to has bathrooms and we take the porta-potty when we boondock or for late night emergency's where the bathroom is just too far away. There's no privacy in a 13 foot trailer not for 2 or more people. Cramming yourself into a tiny bathroom with 3 other people just a couple of feet away is no way private. Might as well be in the middle of the trailer with a paper sack over your head.

Best wishes and hope this works out well for you. I wish I didn't wait until I was 54 years old before I gave up sleeping in a tent.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #43

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Cramming yourself into a tiny bathroom with 3 other people just a couple of feet away is no way private. Might as well be in the middle of the trailer with a paper sack over your head.
ROFLMAO

Way too accurate! If you eat or pass gas in a 13 ft. both will be "family style" with everyone able to share.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #44

Name: Pete
Trailer: Scamp 13 standard w/front bunks
East Coast
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christyn Midwestyn View Post
Looking for some advice from them that knows . We are a family of three, we are strongly considering the Scamp 13 but with the front bath (a must-have for us)...I know that takes away the possibility of bunk beds, so my question is realistically, if you had the dinette table put down with the bed set up and a mattress for the floor space in front of the kitchen, how many could you REALLY sleep in there? Seriously just two? A kid if they're little? Four adults could squish in? We're hoping that dad and the kid(s) would sleep in tents outside but for bad weather or parks with bears etc. we would want the option of getting everyone inside in a pinch. We don't need luxurious amounts of space certainly but we would like to be able to eventually get two adults and two teens all in there possibly (and a dog, am I getting ridiculous?) even if a little squished.
Sounds tight, lots of people answered the question about laying someone on the floor, but I would definitely go with the bunk setup. Get a luggable loo with the throwaway ziplock bags they have for emergencies, showers are available at just about every campground and portable ones too if boondocking.
Usually its just my wife and I and a 95 lbs german shepherd that insists on sleeping with us (yes, it works, don't ask me how, it just does). The bunks are great to setup for extra counter-like-space when not being used for others too (for when the teens don't go)

15 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab v6 (main TV)
Petesblog.com
Pete in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #45

Name: Christyn
Trailer: Aliner
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
This will work with one or two small children (under 4ft)
Floyd, I have been thinking of something like this! Is this your mod? Do you have any pictures of the construction?
Christyn Midwestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #46

Name: Christyn
Trailer: Aliner
Illinois
Ya'll are definitely making me think more about the 16 footer...we've talked about it and I think the on-board potty/shower is a must-have (as my hubby says, without it why not just bring a tent!) but what really bothers me more than losing space is losing the light from that front window...I want tons of windows everywhere, hehe!
Christyn Midwestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #47

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Floyd's bed idea is probably the simplest mod to make. Just make something that's the same height as the bed platform, the width of the aisle, and long enough for your legs and feet. Then make a cushion that more or less matches the height of the existing seat cushions you'll be sleeping on. Adults sleep in the middle with their heads under the rear window, and one kid on each side. You could nail that platform together for less than $50, I bet.

If you wanted to have a more comfy bed mattress, consider what Thom and Cari (member name 'Accrete') use: the Froli system is a bunch of little springs that snap together to produce any size mattress you need in any shape configuration, even an irregular shape like Floyd's. Top the Froli with a foam mattress topper, and sleep well. This would feel much better than the seat cushions (leave them in storage until ready to see the trailer).

In case you haven't figured it out, a porta potti is like a box with upper and lower pieces that snap together. The lower half is the holding tank, with a fold-out spout for emptying and an open-close knife valve for 'flushing'. The upper half houses some fresh 'flush' water, the lid, seat, and toilet bowl. To empty, you unsnap the top half and carry the bottom half to wherever you'll empty it. It's similar to a cassette toilet, but whereas the cassette toilet is built into the trailer with an outer door for cassette removal, the porta potti is a separate, loose toilet that just sits on the floor wherever you want it... very easy to move around.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #48

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp13 owners, how many can they REALLY sleep?

Take a look at the Scamp 16 side bath (layout 4 on their website). It has the front bunks and window from the 13'er, a wet bath on the side, lots of kitchen/storage space, and the 45" dinette at the back. It's a great family layout and one of the older designs, so there are plenty out there. Drawback is that the side bath is quite small and height-challenged.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp