Scan Gauge 11 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
NO sensor for a RAV4.
I believe you since ScanGuage states it can't measure transmission temp, but what makes the transmission over temperature light come on?

Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
What is the OBDII connector? On all cars? I own a 2010 Subaru Forester. Anybody using a scanguge to check trasmission temps on their Forester?

I am dragging my feet at installing a trans cooler because it voids the warranty on the transmission so it would be nice to keep an eye on the temps as I tow my Scamp.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape
Registry
HI Mark J,
Its the interfaced to the cars computer where your mechanic or emission control tech if you have to pass an annual test, plug their equipment to look for codes. Looks like a big rectangular plug.

Scan Gauge FAQs
Quote:
How do I find the plug to connect the ScanGauge II?
The OBD2 connector is supposed to be located within 1 meter of the steering column. It is usually under the dash and just to the right or left of the steering column. Sometimes it will have a cover over its face. Other locations are under the dash on the passenger side under the dash, behind the ash tray and in a rare case, under the ash tray in the back seat armrest. The pictures below show the OBD2 plug in a typical location.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I use my Scan Guage to prevent the transmission from downshifting so often.

I have it setup to display RPM, THP (Throttle Position), LOD (calculated load factor), and TFT (Transmission Temperature).

I set the Cruise Control for 60 MPH and when THP approches 50% I deprress the Engage/Coast button and when THP returns to <30% I depress the Resume/Accelerate button.

It works like a charm.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester/ 2012 Toyota Highlander
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
What is the OBDII connector? On all cars? I own a 2010 Subaru Forester. Anybody using a scanguge to check trasmission temps on their Forester?

I am dragging my feet at installing a trans cooler because it voids the warranty on the transmission so it would be nice to keep an eye on the temps as I tow my Scamp.
Mark:

I suggest contacting your dealer and asking whether the OBDII for your car carries transmission temperature information, and explain why you are asking. I have done that, but don't have a reply yet.

I have installed a transmission oil cooler on my 2003 Subaru Forester and suggest that you do the same. The risk of the transmission overheating is much greater if you don't have a transmission oil cooler, and the cost of the cooler is much less than the cost of a new transmission. Besides, if the transmission overheats and fails while you are towing a trailer it is possible the warranty on the transmission will not be honoured -- check with your dealer.

Brian
Old 07-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester/ 2012 Toyota Highlander
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Mark:

I suggest contacting your dealer and asking whether the OBDII for your car carries transmission temperature information, and explain why you are asking. I have done that, but don't have a reply yet.

I have installed a transmission oil cooler on my 2003 Subaru Forester and suggest that you do the same. The risk of the transmission overheating is much greater if you don't have a transmission oil cooler, and the cost of the cooler is much less than the cost of a new transmission. Besides, if the transmission overheats and fails while you are towing a trailer it is possible the warranty on the transmission will not be honoured -- check with your dealer.

Brian
Mark:

Today I had a reply from our Subaru dealer in Vancouver. He says that when they use a shop scan tool they can get a transmission temperature reading, so assume that there is a transmission oil temperature sensor.

Brian
Old 07-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #21

Click this link for Scan Guage Compatible Vehicles.

Here is the list of standard guages taken from the Users Manual.

Standard_Guages.pdf

Click this link for more programable XGuages.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #22

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Click this link for Scan Guage Compatible Vehicles.

Here is the list of standard guages taken from the Users Manual.

Attachment 29350

Click this link for more programable XGuages.
CD Smith:

Yes, I saw that too, but as described in earlier posts, the question is whether the vehicle has an [b]automatic transmission temperature sensor that can be read by OBDII. Automatic transmission temperature is a critical measure when towing.

Brian
Old 07-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #23

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
I also contacted SOA and got the following response: Dear Mr. Johnson:

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us. The response to your message from our Technical Services Department is:

Our system of SSMIII can read the transmission temp but I do not know if aftermarket scanners can do the same. P0712 & P0713 are both trans temp sensor codes. These codes do not mean much without the troubleshooting information located on STIS.

As for STIS, that is Subaru Technical Information Site. Subaru Technical Service Manuals are available online at http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/index.jsp. Instructions are on this web site on how to subscribe and/or purchase publications.

If you need any future assistance, Mark, please let us know. Have a great day.

Mark J again: So it appears to me that the scan gauge would show tranmission temps using the PO sensor codes. And thanks for your responses. I have been on again, off again and perhaps on again about a trans cooler. Towing without a cooler may void the warranty and well as installing one during the warranty. A car buyer just can't win, the auto companies have it all figured out anyway!
Old 07-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #24

Quote:
CD Smith:

Yes, I saw that too, but as described in earlier posts, the question is whether the vehicle has an [b]automatic transmission temperature sensor that can be read by OBDII. Automatic transmission temperature is a critical measure when towing.

Brian
Brian,

If you look at the list of "more programmable guages" you will find on page 5, GM CANSF lists the codes for Trans Temp.

This may not work for your vehicle, but it won't kill your vehicle if you try it.

Charlie

P.S. The codes P0712 & P0713 are identical to the codes on my Escalade.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ultra Scan $59.

I just received my Ultra Scan. It displays 6 gauges on a page. It has 3 seperate pages of gauges making for a total of 18 gauges visible to the driver. You can have a single page appear all the time, step between pages by pushing a button or have it automatically roatate between pages at a selectable time interval.

There are upto 75 gauges, depending on vehicle, that you can select from and assign to one of three pages. My favorite gauges are Instantaneous Gas Mileage and % Engine Load (torque used/peak torque). I don't know if it will change my driving habits but it's interesting to see it read 70 mpg when rolling to a stop light instead of a much lower number when you race up to a light and than apply the brakes.

I admit to still learning but it seems to work well. Certainly the price is right.

Following is a support page for Ultra Scan. A good manual and information about use on different vehicles.

UltraGauge Support

Norm
Old 05-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Norm, thanks for posting that. I see they only sell direct. Well, I think I want one too!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #27

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Norm, thanks for posting that. I see they only sell direct. Well, I think I want one too!
They were prompt, it arrived 4 days after I ordered.

Norm
Old 05-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #28

Florida
Definitely a modifier of driving behavior. It's really neat to see the mpg jump up to 100 mpg as you roll to a stop sign. Equally you're doing a mild down hill run and lift your foot off the throttle and see 50 mpg. It's like a little game.

Norm