Scary Tire Report on 20/20 Last Night - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Up until last night when i saw this report i thought a new tire in my trunk was perfectly fine....was i ever wrong as the video link will show......tires should never be used that are more than six years old says the report and this may explain why alot of our tires are letting go. It doesn't go by the date you bought it but by a date code stamped on the side of the tire (which could be as much as 10 years old when you buy it.
Code Decifer Example: 3203 means the tire was made in the 32nd week of 2003 ........ 415 means the tire was made the 41st week of 1995.
This same report was on 20/20 last night and all the European countries already use this info....but not us??? I wonder why?
Joe

This 20/20 report was the best:
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4822250&page=1

MSNBC:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24390155/
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I watched same show. I was amazed. I checked the dates on our vehicles tires right away.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Tires are one of the most problematic components of a travel trailer. Some of the problems have to do with the usage pattern, which can be quite different from that of a car. I fully agree that you should pay attention to the date code when you purchase a tire. The sidewall has other information as well: load rating, where it was made, information about the structural components, max pressure rating, etc. I don't think most folks bother with any of this, which can be a big mistake. While it may seem impossible that 10 year old tires could be sold as new, no doubt it has happened to someone.

It is a good idea to record the manufacturing codes on the sales slip in case you need them for warranty purposes later on. After a blowout, that info may not be retrievable. In the case of ST tires, the warranty is usually one year after they are placed in service. Getting any kind of warranty adjustment may require quite a bit of persistence and arm twisting. That is why you should buy tires from a reputable dealer. Many dealers will give you the run around, because warranties are a bother for the dealer. Always ask about the warranty before you purchase your tires!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote