School me please....Bigfoot fifth wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
School me please....Bigfoot fifth wheel

Hi, looking for someone here that can give me a quick education on the Bigfoot fifth wheel? I know nothing about bigfoot, other than I want one!
I have spent countless hours on interweb and still do not know a lot about them. What in particular I am looking for, is what are the holding tank capacities, the differences between the single and tandem axles models and what your thoughts are on the overall construction quality of the unit? For me weight is a non issue, but I would like to keep the price I pay to around 4 to 4.5G. Also I will probably need to lift it to fit my lifted duramax. Any thoughts there?

Thanks kind folks for help.
RichardP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I think your price is right. I have seen them go for less, but usually if they are "fixer uppers". They tend to sit on kijiji for a long time. I don't know why. They are really nice trailers. I have gone to see some in the past. I may still get one. There are several trim levels. I believe they call the highest Spirit Wing. They are also available with a winter package. This includes insulated tanks and double pane windows. Awesome build quality!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #3

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Richard,
The dual axle TW20 5th wheel was the one I preferred. I owned a 1988 that I bought in Alberta. They made them until 1994 I think. Some later models had "L" shaped kitchen counters and all had a large rear dinette. Early ones had individual front hydraulic jacks. Later ones came with a single crank for landing gear. You will find more in Canada than in the States.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Richard we have a couple of people who attend our rallys here in BC with the older 5th wheel Bigfoots. I think you will find the build quality is considered by most people to be at or near the top of the fiberglass trailer manufactures. But as with all trailers if not maintained they can have issues. A leaky window or roof vent for example is not unheard of. The big difference is that most of the issues can be corrected quickly and the damage done is often not anywhere near the damage levels you will see in an older Boler or Scamp for example caused by a leak left unfixed. Gutting out a Bigfoot down to the floors (and taking out the floor for that matter) due to a water leak that was left to long is not something you expect to see/hear of. Not saying it has never happened just not as common thing as it is with some other brands of fiberglass trailers.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
Also I will probably need to lift it to fit my lifted duramax. Any thoughts there?

Thanks kind folks for help.
Practicality of doing this probably depends on how much you need to lift the trailer. How tall are the rails on the Duramax?
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I think the single axle is easier to lift than the double axle. Tall trucks will require a significant lift. Quality was as good as it got for the time. As Caro H said, unattended leaks can be an issue, so look for one well taken care of. There are many interior layouts, so look for the one that best fits your needs. Can't help you with the tank capacities, as mine came without documentation.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #7

Registry
There are a few Bigfoot Manuals in the Document Center of this forum. One of them is from 1987 - Title Bigfoot-CS Manual and it includes info on the 5th wheel including the hitch setup info.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
There are a few Bigfoot Manuals in the Document Center of this forum. One of them is from 1987 - Title Bigfoot-CS Manual and it includes info on the 5th wheel including the hitch setup info.
Info given there indicates that height from ground to hitch pin center is 45 or 46 inches, depending on axle. (Pin visible in below pic of 1985 dual axle model)

Useful information for those contemplating towing with tall trucks...

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #9

Alberta
Thank you everyone for your sharing your knowledge and advice. Truly appreciated. This site is full of good information, and did not realize there was a topic for dowloads, that's very usefull right there.
Now comes the excitement of trying to track one of these fifth wheels down! There are not a lot on the market right now, but I would imagine that as spring gets closer more will come up. Hopefully the right one just down the road!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #10

Registry
Yes indeed the Document Center is a wonderful resource. Lots of manuals for many of the appliances common to most trailers.

As far as more Bigfoot 5th wheels coming on the market in the spring goes I wouldn't count on that. The 5th wheel is not as easy a find as the trailers are. Take a look at Fiberglass-rv-4-sale.com under the sold section to get a feel for how frequently the come on the market. Also there is the small issue of prices jumping up in the spring.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #11

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yes indeed the Document Center is a wonderful resource. Lots of manuals for many of the appliances common to most trailers.

As far as more Bigfoot 5th wheels coming on the market in the spring goes I wouldn't count on that. The 5th wheel is not as easy a find as the trailers are. Take a look at Fiberglass-rv-4-sale.com under the sold section to get a feel for how frequently the come on the market. Also there is the small issue of prices jumping up in the spring.
Thanks Carol, yesterday I was looking through that site, and you're right they are few and far between. The prices seem to be all over as well.
I see you hail for BC? There is one on there from OK Falls area. I have been in touch with them on it. Seems like a nice trailer, but its 1500kms away, just a little too far for a quick spin out to take a look.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #12

Registry
Yup the price on it sounds pretty good as well.... do you know anyone who lives somewhat near that area that could go and take some candid photos for you for the underside and under the benches etc.? Having purchased sight unseen myself I can appreciate it feels better to be able to see it in person first! ;-)

There is another in Radium Hot Springs a little closer to you, that looks like a very well cared for trailer - has a couple of new propane tanks, brakes, wheel bearings, batteries... no mention of tires. There is a lot to be said for buying a trailer that you don't need to replace most of that stuff on it just to drive it home, as you do with the majority of older trailers..... never know until you make an offer what they may take for it. Have seen a number of trailers sold in that area go for way less than they would closer to the lower mainland area... especially in the winter months as a lot of people don't like traveling into that area.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
Hi, looking for someone here that can give me a quick education on the Bigfoot fifth wheel?

What in particular I am looking for, is what are the holding tank capacities, the differences between the single and tandem axles models and what your thoughts are on the overall construction quality of the unit? For me weight is a non issue, but I would like to keep the price I pay to around 4 to 4.5G. Also I will probably need to lift it to fit my lifted duramax. Any thoughts there?
I recommend sending Lizbeth a Private Message. She and her husband Eric own 2 Bigfoot 5th-wheel Trailers: both a single-axle and a dual axle. I believe they have a unique ability to answer your questions, as they have lifted both trailers to fit their similar truck.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #14

Alberta
I am still on the hunt for a good unit. Can someone tell me the what the width of the axles is? From outside of tire to tire? Reason for this is I may have to haul the bigfoot on a gooseneck to get it back to home base. I have access to a lowpro carhauler with inside fender width of 84". I would hazard to guess the axles are not that wide, but I may be wrong.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #15

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
My 1990 double axle shell is 95 inches wide, and the outside of the tire is 3 inches inboard, so I'd say about 89 inches.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot