Screen Room w/ waterproof top - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Screen Room w/ waterproof top

Can anyone recommend a screen room that does not leak water through the ceiling? We are looking for a screen room approximately 10 X 10 or slightly larger. We do not need waterproof sides as if it is raining that hard we will just lounge inside our Lil Snoozy.
Every screen room we have tried begins to mist water through the ceiling at even light drizzles. We have tried silicone spray waterproofing with only moderate success. I have searched on line for a screen room with a vinyl top with no results.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
You might consider buying a Rainfly to go over one of the units you already bought.

The one in the link has one side that can be used as an awning, sidewall, or rolled up out of the way. It's for an REI screen room but will likely fit most anything of similar size.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #3

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Here is what I did.
Get a tube of clear silicone caulk the kind that goes in a calking gun and some mineral spirits. Put the calk in to a throw away container like a gallon milk jug cut off at 3/4. Add some mineral spirits and stir; keep adding the mineral spirits until it gets about the constancy of milk. Then you can apply it to your screen room's roof with ether a roller or a paint brush. I like the roller; its faster. If your mixture starts to get too thick before you finish just add more mineral spirits. Get it good and wet. No more leaks!!!! Let it dry for 24 hours and you are good to go. If you find it still leaks at the seams, repeat on just the seams but make the silicone the constancy of honey.
Hope this helps!
Jason
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
Can anyone recommend a screen room that does not leak water through the ceiling? We are looking for a screen room approximately 10 X 10 or slightly larger. We do not need waterproof sides as if it is raining that hard we will just lounge inside our Lil Snoozy.
Every screen room we have tried begins to mist water through the ceiling at even light drizzles. We have tried silicone spray waterproofing with only moderate success. I have searched on line for a screen room with a vinyl top with no results.
Hi Bill, We have a 10X10 paha que and at first when we set it up it bled at the seams a bit. I used a can of Coleman's water proof spray on all the roof seems and it took care of it. We have since bought the roof fly as the warranty on it said w/o the fly the warranty is voided, however we have not set it up since we met you at the Pa. rally. I bought it on Amazon and compared to most 10x10's it is expensive, in its favor it is quality except for the pegs. All 4 sides will roll up or you can leave them down and use it for a tent. we also bought the floor since.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3429.jpg  
Old 11-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #5

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Eureka Hex or Northern Breeze
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #6

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Water proofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
Here is what I did.
Get a tube of clear silicone caulk the kind that goes in a calking gun and some mineral spirits. Put the calk in to a throw away container like a gallon milk jug cut off at 3/4. Add some mineral spirits and stir; keep adding the mineral spirits until it gets about the constancy of milk. Then you can apply it to your screen room's roof with ether a roller or a paint brush. I like the roller; its faster. If your mixture starts to get too thick before you finish just add more mineral spirits. Get it good and wet. No more leaks!!!! Let it dry for 24 hours and you are good to go. If you find it still leaks at the seams, repeat on just the seams but make the silicone the constancy of honey.
Hope this helps!
Jason
Jason, thanks for posting this. The Silicone mixture is a Fantastic Idea!
I had never heard of that. Love learning new tricks.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill MacDermod View Post
Hi Bill, We have a 10X10 paha que and at first when we set it up it bled at the seams a bit. I used a can of Coleman's water proof spray on all the roof seems and it took care of it. We have since bought the roof fly as the warranty on it said w/o the fly the warranty is voided, however we have not set it up since we met you at the Pa. rally. I bought it on Amazon and compared to most 10x10's it is expensive, in its favor it is quality except for the pegs. All 4 sides will roll up or you can leave them down and use it for a tent. we also bought the floor since.
They are nice, but EXPENSIVE as you stated.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #8

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
our swiss gear with added screen sides has not leaked. we also have wind sides for when the mist is blowing in a little. or for privacy. it also doubles as a second bed room when we have an overflow of kids.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #9

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Jason, thanks for posting this. The Silicone mixture is a Fantastic Idea!
I had never heard of that. Love learning new tricks.

Your welcome!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #10

New York
Registry
This how we use yo make silicone impregnated nylon for the scout troop back 20 years ago so I tried it on my 10x10 ez-up and it worked great.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Hubby just adds tarps to our FirstUp from Walmart. We bought the rain/wind sides that fit our 10 x 10 from Hutshop and between the two, it kept it totally dry through a heavy KY rainstorm last summer that felled a nearby tree in the park (that took out the water supply to the campground for a day.).

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
They are nice, but EXPENSIVE as you stated.

The thing that sold me on this one was the straight walls, on many of the screen houses the side walls are tapered and when it rains you end up moving to the center so it cuts down on your square footage. I also was looking at it from the stand point of it being a room and doubling or tripling our live in space and it does that well
Old 11-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
We bought a 12x12 Paha que about 4 years. My husband was always frustrated with setting it up. When we were at the last rally, we helped someone put theirs up and discovered there were supposed to be grommets in the corner tabs.

They had failed to put any in our screen house. My husband cursed that thing everytime he put it up. We also purchased a rainfly and they had made that themselves, because they couldn't get any from the supplier. The arch to the rainfly over the awnings was so low we had to practically bend in half to get in it.

I decided to call the company and see if they would remedy the situation. They told me to box it up and put it on the front porch and they would put in the grommets and modify the rainfly.

Long story short, we got it back today, hopefully everything is done right. They were very nice about it and took it back to fix it, no questions asked. They told me they would set it up and go over everything on it before returning it to us. We won't be getting it out until spring, but I feel confident, if there is a problem, they will remedy it. There is something to be said for a company that seems to honor their lifetime warranties.

Other than the grommet issue, a big one, and the company made rainfly, it seems very well made and with the adjustments, it should last a very long time.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote