Search is over... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #15

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
[QUOTE=LyleB;557783]I've been experimenting in my driveway for the past couple of nights. Just a little cube ceramic heater, set on low had kept the Scamp nice and toasty, except for the cabinets/closets. They get quite cold and then act as a cold "radiator", especially if you sit next to one.
Has anyone installed venting options into the doors of the cabinets to allow the warm air to penetrate. Same with the bath door - have to keep it open or the bath stays very cold. just thinking how to alleviate this other than keeping all the doors open.

LYLE, I had the same problem with our Scamp, and was thinking of using a table saw to cut decorative slits in the cupboard doors for ventilation, or fancier scroll saw for musical notes, or change out a portion of the door fronts with speaker cloth or metal sheeting that has perforation patterns in it.
With or Lil Snoozy I used a hole saw in my drill to make holes in the sides of the cabinets near the ceiling and wall corners, then inserted louvered caps that homes use for attic venting at the eaves. This works well for us.
Dave & Paula

Old 11-16-2015, 05:37 PM   #16

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I've been experimenting in my driveway for the past couple of nights. Just a little cube ceramic heater, set on low had kept the Scamp nice and toasty, except for the cabinets/closets. They get quite cold and then act as a cold "radiator", especially if you sit next to one.

Has anyone installed venting options into the doors of the cabinets to allow the warm air to penetrate. Same with the bath door - have to keep it open or the bath stays very cold. just thinking how to alleviate this other than keeping all the doors open.

CarrieR, well your Scamp knows the way. Looking forward to this trip.
The previous owner of our scamp installed vents under both dinette seats. We assume this was intended to keep the water tank from freezing. Looks like he just cut to size and fitted house furnace vents into them (the ones that sit in the vents on the floor in each room of your house.)

Congrats on your new to you Scamp!

Old 11-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I've been experimenting in my driveway for the past couple of nights.
Congratulations and I hope it works out well for you.

I had to laugh; the driveway is the first place we spent the night in ours.

And I suspect we are not alone in that. I met a couple in the local teardrop trailer group that actually spends every night in their trailer, whether out on the road or at home in the garage...
Old 12-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #18

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Back from shop.

Well, I just got a call from the RV shop, my Scamp is ready to be picked up.

The propane system checked out fine, refrigerator is in good shape and running properly on 120, 12volts and propane.

Said the electrical system was quite a mess with multiple ground problems in both the 12volt and 120volt wiring, but they have virtually re-wired it and all lights and outlets are working properly now.

They also replaced my leaky hand pump while they had it there.

A bit shocked by the cost, but I know electrical can be a pain to track down problems, especially since previous owners had done their own jury-rigged additions to it. $376.00.

I'm sure I'll feel better, though, knowing that the propane and electrical systems are both working properly. I can deal with any plumbing changes I decide to make without potentially killing myself.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
In having that much work done at a RV Dealer/Shop it sounds to me like you got off easy..... This is exactly why I always suggest buying the very best you can afford vs. one that will need outside work.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I pay over $100/hr for someone to work on my trailer. I am guessing it would take longer then 4 hrs to rewire a trailer.

Not to mention the time required to inspect the things that didn't need to be fixed.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:15 PM   #21

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Take a look at this album Fiberglass RV - Jaydeen A.'s Album: My 1981 Burro. They put caning in the cabinets. It's attractive and provides ventilation/airflow.

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote