Searching... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Google advanced search is the ONLY tool I use to search forum websites, and not just this forum, either. All forum-based search tools seem to share the same way-too-general results thing.

Please note, I am not referring to the "advanced search" key at the top of this page, but the freestanding page at this link.

Works especially well for searching for old threads vaguely remembered. A few key words, and...voila!

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #16

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp 13' 1977
California
When I had Chrome enabled, I was having several knee-jerk errors using Autocad (ver 12), Coreldraw X5, and Dreamweaver CS6. There are a few radio wave propogation programs that seem to not like it installed also. My biggest gripe, is about all the data Google grabs from your computer (and DID give to NSA without being asked, per their PR people). Chrome is MUCH MORE intrusive. Go "google" it! (LOL) Make it tell on itself!
I subscribe to several computer security services still (left over from the one business) and all recommend NOT using Chrome with unencrypted data on the system. It evidently has a cancer gene for a parent. it goes everywhere.

Paul

Born in MAINE, living in Exile (Lompoc, CA)
Old_Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
How long ago did you try Chrome? Its come a ways since first released and they actually now have a dedicated page for business users. I used Chrome with the full Adobe Creative suite on my windows computer up until last week when I switch over to a Mac and upgraded to Version 6 and so far have had no issues with using Chrome on either machine using the CS or Lightroom, as well as a couple of Corel products along with it. Actually far less than when I use IE... go figure.

Wonder if you need to change something in your computer set up. You may want to do a Google to find a resolve to your issues with IE. ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Romad View Post
Yup! Now I know Donna has that database, oh yeah! Oh, Donna!!!!

Paul

Of course I am also having to type these replies in Word first. Every time (it seems) I get beyond two lines, the forum sw tells me the link is too old and the stuff I wrote goes out the window! So now I do it offline and paste it in! Also Words PelL SpEcKEr works better! ....

.... One thing I learned beyond all others about computers.... THEY SUCK PONDWATER! (edit version) ....
Solution to having the session end so the post fails by the time you finish writing is to check the Remember Me box when you login. Works a treat as they say and is totally browser independent.

I do web development so while I hit this site mostly with IE my first choice I also use Firefox and Chrome if they are open at the time. I tend to like IE better, but that is a personal choice, other two are so different in how one digs under the covers for configuration and settings that it annoys me.

Chrome tends to protect me from anything that it thinks might be bad
which could be good but I prefer being warned by IE and making up my own mind. Firefox makes me go meh?

Browsers suck the pond water that the computers don't get as far as I'm concerned. And I am so with you on just because I can fix it don't mean it's worth my time or the effort. Except for taking really old dogs and installing Linux just for the fun of it.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:57 PM   #19

California
Carol
I am somewhat savvy after 29 years monitoring that business, and being the guy who provided most of the tech knowledge. I haven't used Chrome since last spring, but do have several old customer who ask me about problems still. The strange part is that I would not be using it while those other programs had issues. It just being on the system seemed to be detrimental. Once it was completely cleaned out (it tries to stay in the registry, and you have to clean it by hand) those issues went away. I could probably have found a reason and worked around it if necessary, but just the intrusive nature, especially as espoused by the security software industry, I chose not to. It has nothing I actually need. I try and load nothing that isn't necessary, after so many years helping clean out customers bloated systems! Like toolbars, I don't like, need them or want them. especially those installed when I don't get a notice they will be! Ticks are easier to get rid of than some, like Bing! (those their satellite pictures are 3x what Google Earth can give. 30cm vs 3 meters)
Paul

ps, thanks for trying to help tho! I appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:00 AM   #20

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Solution to having the session end so the post fails by the time you finish writing is to check the Remember Me box when you login.

I do that always, but.......

It just likes you more than me! (sigh)

Paul