Searching... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp 13' 1977
California
Searching...

Wonder if I can get some help?
Every time I search for something, I get 70-100 pages of reply. Reading every one (got the time, but...) shows that about 3/4ths don't even have one instance of the word(s) searched for! I miss the old Alta Vista search engine everyone used where boolean searches allowed precise results. I have seen folks here praising this search engine, so it must be me! I have been using and involved with 'puters since before (LONG before) there were PCs, but you learn something every time you turn one on! (including that you shouldn't have)

Paul
Born in MAINE, living in Exile (Lompoc, CA)
Old_Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Are you using the box at the bottom of the search window?

"Google custom search"
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #3

California
Yes. Unless it is a one word search, I not only get everything that has ANY word I used, but many times more that reference nothing in the search string.

Maybe I expect too much. We could always do a precise search on most engines, but I guess as we "progress" with more data/more speed (shades of Johny 5!) we have left behind the importance of "better access" to real data.
Paul
Old 01-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Have you tried putting the words in quotation marks if you want a specific phrase or group of words? I did a trial search of the words light bulb and got over 500 hits. I put the words "light bulb" in quotes and got 127 hits.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I agree with you, Paul. I too miss the days of being able to refine searches. The Google search we recommend does beat the forum's search system... except for when it doesn't. IF you have an idea what you're looking for (you remember a specific discussion and possibly some of the more or less unique language used) you can sometimes do better using the system's Advanced Search. Sometimes.

When all else fails, just ask your question. Somebody can either point you in the right direction, or answer your question directly.

Retrieval is one of the problems of the discussion archives getting so large, and of course with all the same questions repeated (since nobody can find the older discussions) it just adds to it. But, we're a friendly and helpful bunch...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My advice when you read something that interests you... a future mod... whatever... is to capture the URL and put it into a database spreadsheet like Excel. My personal database is more than 1000 records long. That's one of the reasons I'm able to pull up the archives and help folks out. It's NOT my memory, it's what I've captured... and that's NOT bookmarks...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
As suggested use only the Google option at the bottom of the Search drop down box here. There are a number of things you can do to refine your search - Google Search Tips - Tips for Better Search Results from www.timeatlas.com
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:03 AM   #8

California
Yes I did, but thanks.
There still seems to be a disconnect between waht I ask and what it gives. But, then I get the same thing when I talk to my kids!!

Paul
Old 01-29-2014, 01:07 AM   #9

California
Great idea Donna!
I have been cutting and pasting articles and mods 'til it is ridiculous, but hadn't thought about why I should include WHO posted them!!
Duh! Thanks for tha guidance!

Paul
Old 01-29-2014, 01:20 AM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
When all else fails, just ask your question. Somebody can either point you in the right direction, or answer your question directly.

Yup! Now I know Donna has that database, oh yeah! Oh, Donna!!!!

Paul

Of course I am also having to type these replies in Word first. Every time (it seems) I get beyond two lines, the forum sw tells me the link is too old and the stuff I wrote goes out the window! So now I do it offline and paste it in! Also Words PelL SpEcKEr works better!

One of my other businesses here (now closed, thank God), was the largest computer repair center (was sales too, but why compete with Wally World?) along the Central Coast for 29 years. Ont thing I learned beyond all others about computers.... THEY SUCK PONDWATER! (edit version)
Except for some desktop publishing & webdesign for myself and a few clubs, and some CAD stuff, this (forum stuff and email) is all I touch one for! They cough, I throw it away and get a new one! NO REPAIRS DONE HERE, MATE!

I am praying (well, sort of) that I don't get as involved with this as I did a few years ago when getting back into motorcycles! You can see what I mean by going to my Wannabeabigbike's page: Paul Andreasen's Motorcycle Mods Page. WAY too much time and effort!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:32 AM   #11

Registry
Paul if you change your browser to Google Chrome the above issue should go away.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Paul if you change your browser to Google Chrome the above issue should go away.
Carol, if I did that I would have to shoot myself. Chrome messes with several professional level programs! Plus, it steals even more data from you for Google's databanks (read as NSA jr.) than any other.
Paul
Old 01-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Romad View Post
Carol, if I did that I would have to shoot myself. Chrome messes with several professional level programs! Plus, it steals even more data from you for Google's databanks (read as NSA jr.) than any other.
Paul
What programs are you running that it messes with? Have a few IT folks in corp that would be interested in that.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #14

Name: Bill
Trailer: Gathering Details
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
What programs are you running that it messes with? Have a few IT folks in corp that would be interested in that.
I was going to ask the same question but Carol beat me to it.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Google advanced search is the ONLY tool I use to search forum websites, and not just this forum, either. All forum-based search tools seem to share the same way-too-general results thing.

Please note, I am not referring to the "advanced search" key at the top of this page, but the freestanding page at this link.

Works especially well for searching for old threads vaguely remembered. A few key words, and...voila!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #16

California
When I had Chrome enabled, I was having several knee-jerk errors using Autocad (ver 12), Coreldraw X5, and Dreamweaver CS6. There are a few radio wave propogation programs that seem to not like it installed also. My biggest gripe, is about all the data Google grabs from your computer (and DID give to NSA without being asked, per their PR people). Chrome is MUCH MORE intrusive. Go "google" it! (LOL) Make it tell on itself!
I subscribe to several computer security services still (left over from the one business) and all recommend NOT using Chrome with unencrypted data on the system. It evidently has a cancer gene for a parent. it goes everywhere.

Paul
Old 01-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #17

Registry
How long ago did you try Chrome? Its come a ways since first released and they actually now have a dedicated page for business users. I used Chrome with the full Adobe Creative suite on my windows computer up until last week when I switch over to a Mac and upgraded to Version 6 and so far have had no issues with using Chrome on either machine using the CS or Lightroom, as well as a couple of Corel products along with it. Actually far less than when I use IE... go figure.

Wonder if you need to change something in your computer set up. You may want to do a Google to find a resolve to your issues with IE. ;-)
Old 01-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Romad View Post
Yup! Now I know Donna has that database, oh yeah! Oh, Donna!!!!

Paul

Of course I am also having to type these replies in Word first. Every time (it seems) I get beyond two lines, the forum sw tells me the link is too old and the stuff I wrote goes out the window! So now I do it offline and paste it in! Also Words PelL SpEcKEr works better! ....

.... One thing I learned beyond all others about computers.... THEY SUCK PONDWATER! (edit version) ....
Solution to having the session end so the post fails by the time you finish writing is to check the Remember Me box when you login. Works a treat as they say and is totally browser independent.

I do web development so while I hit this site mostly with IE my first choice I also use Firefox and Chrome if they are open at the time. I tend to like IE better, but that is a personal choice, other two are so different in how one digs under the covers for configuration and settings that it annoys me.

Chrome tends to protect me from anything that it thinks might be bad
which could be good but I prefer being warned by IE and making up my own mind. Firefox makes me go meh?

Browsers suck the pond water that the computers don't get as far as I'm concerned. And I am so with you on just because I can fix it don't mean it's worth my time or the effort. Except for taking really old dogs and installing Linux just for the fun of it.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:57 PM   #19

California
Carol
I am somewhat savvy after 29 years monitoring that business, and being the guy who provided most of the tech knowledge. I haven't used Chrome since last spring, but do have several old customer who ask me about problems still. The strange part is that I would not be using it while those other programs had issues. It just being on the system seemed to be detrimental. Once it was completely cleaned out (it tries to stay in the registry, and you have to clean it by hand) those issues went away. I could probably have found a reason and worked around it if necessary, but just the intrusive nature, especially as espoused by the security software industry, I chose not to. It has nothing I actually need. I try and load nothing that isn't necessary, after so many years helping clean out customers bloated systems! Like toolbars, I don't like, need them or want them. especially those installed when I don't get a notice they will be! Ticks are easier to get rid of than some, like Bing! (those their satellite pictures are 3x what Google Earth can give. 30cm vs 3 meters)
Paul

ps, thanks for trying to help tho! I appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:00 AM   #20

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Solution to having the session end so the post fails by the time you finish writing is to check the Remember Me box when you login.

I do that always, but.......

It just likes you more than me! (sigh)

Paul