Searching for roomy lightweight - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Hi Mike My wife and I have owned and used several fiberglass trailers over the years, a 16 foot scamp ( front bath side sofa ), a 13 foot Uhaul, an 18 foot Trillium, a Trails West Campster ( pop top ) and finally a 17 foot Big Foot ( gaucho model ) . By far the Big Foot is the most livable for us and would have a good space for playing your instruments in the gaucho area. Used ones can be difficult to locate and new ones are somewhat pricey. They, new or used, are very well built and worth the money. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:17 AM   #22

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Perhaps a "Lil' Snoozy" Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites would work. Also they are from Columbia, SC.
Overall Dimensions
Length: 18 ft. 6 in. (encompasses tongue to rear of AC unit)
Height: 7 ft. 7 in.
Width: 8 ft. (from outside tire to outside tire)

Living Area Dimensions
Length: 14 ft. 6 in.
Interior Width: 6 ft. 6 in.
Interior head room: 6ft. 4 in.
Bed Size Area: 63” x 79” (34 sq. ft.)
Overall Living Space: 95.25 sq. ft.

Overall Weight: 2500 lbs.
Tongue Weight: 185 lbs.

The Snoozy comes with a "Jack Knife" sofa which will comfortably sleep 2 children or one adult, in conjunction with the full Queen bed the Lil Snoozy will sleep three to four very comfortably.

Escape TTs are very well made & come in several size ranges & offer insulation, which many of the moldered fiberglass trailers do not. Scamp also have insulation as standard product, by the way. Escapes are somewhat pricey, but well made as I mentioned.
http://escapetrailer.com/
19' Escape: http://escapetrailer.com/trailers/the-19-foot-escape/
17' Escape: http://escapetrailer.com/trailers/the-17-foot-escape/
21' Escape: http://escapetrailer.com/trailers/the-21-escape/

I have only seen a 5.0 Fifth Wheel Escape, one of the very first made by them several years ago. It was extremely well made.

Casitas have more bed layout options than Scamp, but no insulation. They come in 17', but have less head room inside than Scamp.

Eggcampers might work for you, http://www.eggcamper.com/, a good size, seems roomy, but never have seen one, nor have I seen a Lil' Snoozy. Both of which, I believe, are all electric.

We had a 16' Scamp with side dinette & front bath. After about 9 years, decided to go with more room, esp'lly the bed. A little small for two plus a large dog. Not much room for a music area as well. IMHO.

We went to a non-moldered fiberglass for the extra room. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-64121.html
Floor Length 18'10"
Overall Length 23'4"
Exterior Width 96⅜"
Exterior Height 119"
Interior Height 78"
Gross Dry Weight 3780 Lbs.
Hitch Dry Weight 360 Lbs.
Axle Weight 3420 Lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1920 Lbs.
GVWR 5700 Lbs.
http://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/1985/#specs

The smallest Lance is a nice, roomy, single axle in a not too large of a unit with a full queen bed. http://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/1575/.
Floor Length 15'5"
Overall Length 19'6"
Exterior Width 84⅜"
Exterior Height 117"
Interior Height 78"
Gross Dry Weight 2655 Lbs.
Hitch Dry Weight 225 Lbs.
Axle Weight 2430 Lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1045 Lbs.
GVWR 3700 Lbs.

The Lance 1685:
http://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/1685/#specs
Floor Length 16'3"
Overall Length 20'9"
Exterior Width 96⅜"
Exterior Height 119"
Interior Height 78"
Gross Dry Weight 3650 Lbs.
Hitch Dry Weight 345 Lbs.
Axle Weight 3305 Lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1850 Lbs.
GVWR 5500 Lbs.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:45 AM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 16' Oak Deluxe Layout A - "Kiwi"
Maryland
Thanks!

Thanks for the time providing all of the details.
mgellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:12 AM   #24

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I always thought the EggCamper was roomy. It's wider than the Scamp/Casita (about 8"). What I don't like is that due to the hard fiberglass interior I always felt like I was inside a refrigerator. Plus they're all electric. No gas appliances although I think something can be worked out with them.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:18 AM   #25

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Thinking about this some more, I'd mention that there are two general layouts of our small trailers. What I consider the "galley" layout with an aisle down the center like Scamps and Casitas, and a more open layout with a corner open, ususally by the door opening. (I credit overhearing Carol Ann in TO first observing this in my presence) Older trailers like some Trilliums feature this layout. Moving about in a galley layout can be more problematic and depends on whether the center aisle width is enough to allow two people to move past each other.
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium Layout.gif  
Attached Images

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #26

Have never seen one, but have often seen the name appear on the forum, ParkLiner.

I checked their website, they might be a very good option. Something to check out, perhaps. Manufactured in Gibsonville, NC.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #27

Maryland
We bought a Scamp!

Hi Everyone,

It's time to fess up and face the embarrassment, and also get the encouragement, share in the excitement, and thank everyone for their input.

First the embarrassing part: Despite most of you recommending seeing the trailers in person (and receiving several offers personally), going to rallies, etc., we bought our new Scamp 16' Deluxe with the Oak wood and the front dinette based on comparisons of photos and sites on the internet, reading many reviews and the Lightweight Travel Trailer Comparison Guide and several conversations with Alan at Scamp and receiving photos of the one he had in stock! We really like the Deluxe wood option and the front dinette, which seemed to be the only small trailer to have this layout. We expect this to feel like some separation between the main bed/dinette area.

The part of advice we did heed (and aligned with my wife's thoughts especially) was to get a light trailer this size and weight, especially it being our first.

While I was very impressed with the Escape and Oliver as well, it came down to between the Casita and the Scamp. The reasons included staying with 16', not spending more than we already just did and the availability. Escape's location is the furthest and their production schedule was already out towards the end of the year. The front dinette layout and the wood in the Scamp, along with the unit being available, were deciding factors over the Casita. It's clear all of these are quality trailers and are in high demand with good resale value, so we went for it and if it turns out we're not happy or we made the wrong decision, our bad, and we can sell it.

As some suggested, start small and we'll see what we don't like and do like and if this is not our ideal trailer, then we will know what it will be later on and get it.

While we'll be taking some trips before then, we plan on being away for a couple of months next January and February, probably traveling in the Southwest. We've had it with the winters!

Looking forward to meeting some of you sometime.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150302_154241115.jpg   IMG_20150302_154249171.jpg  

IMG_20150302_154300847.jpg   IMG_20150302_154321518.jpg  

Old 03-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #28

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
Congrats on your purchase!!! I feel ya about these damn winters.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #29

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Searching for roomy lightweight

I don't see anything to confess. I think you made a great choice, and you certainly work fast!

I remember one long winter many years ago... We got hit in the White Mountains with another major snowstorm right in the middle of spring break when I had planned to work outside. I got up in the morning, saw the snow, and just decided I'd had enough. Drove straight to Phoenix and bought myself the touring kayak I'd been dreaming about. Spent the rest of the week planning my first trip to Lake Powell.

Forget the snow and start planning!

Congratulations!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #30

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
It looks beautiful, Mike! Enjoy the Southwest.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #31

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Very nice and rare layout for the 16, you don't see many like that, most have the side dinette.
Love the deluxe, you made a great choice.
Enjoy.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Cool for you! There aren't any bad all molded towables, honestly. As long as you got one that fits your needs... SCORE!

When you take ownership, post lots of pics and make a TON of memories along the way
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:43 PM   #33

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
If you ever decide you want something different, the Scamps hold resale value very well. Until that "if and when" time, you can be having fun camping in a brand new Scamp. Wood interior would be my pick, too.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:38 AM   #34

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Congrats Mike, I really like the "deluxe" interiors. Now that you have taken that leap and jumped into the pool, you now have to start swimming. See you on the road, neighbor. When do you pick it up?
Old 03-07-2015, 05:06 AM   #35

Maryland
Thanks for your congrats and support!

Thanks everyone for your congratulations and support. It's easy for me to have second thoughts after such a big purchase and a fast decision - I actually thought my wife would be the slower one on this but she right away felt the Scamp we chose site unseen was the best choice. We ordered it on Monday and yesterday we received the Casita info in snail mail including an owner less than an hour away...and of course the printed brochure looks very nice, including the side dinettes. But we did like the concept of the Scamp Deluxe front dinette. We'll find out how the space works out! We're having it delivered nearby in WV (a cheaper delivery zone) hopefully after the snow is gone from our long drive, in about 3 - 4 weeks. I'll post more photos. The ones I posted are what Alan from Scamp sent of the one he had so we could see the wood especially, as the Birch looked very nice on their site, and the one he had was oak. The oak is light and looks very nice, too, as well as all of the cabinets in the Deluxe.
Mike
Old 03-07-2015, 05:34 AM   #36

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
That is a very nice looking rig, and similar to what I hope to end up with when I do the front dinette mod to my old Scamp. While I agree that quick decisions can sometimes backfire, I don't think buying a product such as this from a well established and respected firm like Scamp is wrong as long as your personal financial situation warrants it. Enjoy!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:39 AM   #37

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Yep, did the same thing in sept. 2014. Sight unseen, drove all the way to MN to pick it up and drove it back to Pa. I got the 16` standard side dinette front bath. We are very new at it. Just enough room for the two of us and our Golden. As soon as the weather breaks i`m outta here. See you on the road, Good Luck. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:01 AM   #38

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Illinois
Registry
We went to the Scamp factory 4 times before making the decision to buy, saw the factory before their fire and after their fire. Before the 5th trip we had decided to buy the 5th wheel, but after spending time in all the demo models, looking at all models being built, and looking at all the sold and ready for delivery models, we ordered a Scamp 16 front bath, side dinette with the Oak Custom/Deluxe interior. That was in 2008. We enjoy every adventure with our Scamp.
BruceandMaryJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:33 AM   #39

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Searching for roomy lightweight

In case you have any lingering doubts... Your Scamp 16' Deluxe has at least three advantages over a Casita 16': a bigger bed (54" vs 45"), more headroom, and, of course, that beautiful wood interior. The bed alone is worth the price of admission.

Although Casitas are nice trailers, to get the bed & headroom, you'd have to go to the 17' size, which is a fair bit heavier, and you couldn't get the wood at any price.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:42 PM   #40

Hola!

Congrats! Looks like a very nice trailer. We ordered ours sight unseen as well in 2005, about this time of the year if I remember correctly. We were always happy with the Scamp & enjoyed it greatly. It wasn't ready until Aug. Our son picked it up for us (he was living in ND at the time); drove it down to Loveland, CO in Sept (long weekend for Labor Day) where we met them & picked it up. Halfway between Minot & Las Cruces.

Just wondering, does your trailer have the option of a wider bed in back (one can be had in the Deluxe)? Well worth it if has, the narrow bed was what we didn't like about our Scamp.

Jon in AZ is right on the money about the 16' Casita being more limited in some areas than the Scamp. 16' Casita have a smaller fridge as well. Not sure about the beds in them, one way or the other.

I'm confident you will enjoy your Scamp.

Hope you make it to our part of the world someday, New Mexico.

Tags
light, weight