Searching for roomy lightweight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 16' Oak Deluxe Layout A - "Kiwi"
Maryland
Searching for roomy lightweight

Hi,
Just starting searching for a lightweight trailer for my wife, Golden Retriever and me. I want as much space and good quality and nice amenities, while my wife wants to keep the size down. I don't want to feel cramped and we want room to play our instruments and work on the computer. Any recommendations on what to start looking at?
Thanks!
Mike
mgellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Hi Mike. Have you towed a trailer before? What is your proposed tow vehicle? Sounds like you will need some space. Thinking 18' or more.

thnxs
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #3

Maryland
Hi Wayne,
Thanks for the quick and first reply! No, haven't towed a trailer. We have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma extended cab with a cap, towing package, rated at 6500 pounds.
Mike
Old 02-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
That is a nice TV Mike. You have many options as far as a trailer goes.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
It's always best to hit a rally and look over the different sizes and makes. There is one coming up in April not too far off. April 16-18, 2015 - 8th Annual Eggscursion at Townsend TN, Great Smokies KOA.

Looks like a good 8 hours but it might be the best chance you have before fall.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #6

Maryland
Thanks!
Old 02-25-2015, 12:44 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Mike!

I grew up in Maryland (Harford Co.) but have lived in AZ for over 30 years now.

There are a lot of choices in fiberglass trailers ranging from very basic to high end, and from about 12' to 25'. Given your tow vehicle and desire for a roomier unit with full amenities, Escape jumps to mind. Unfortunately, they are pretty far away from you (in British Columbia), but they seem to give a lot of room without getting really heavy. Right now, a favorable exchange rate makes it a good time to buy Canadian. You can visit their website here: Escape Trailer Industries – Chilliwack, British Columbia

This one may be sold, but as it is close to you, I thought I'd provide a link: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...usd-68037.html. It was custom-built with a smaller bed but a larger u-shaped dinette/lounge area in back.

I'll second the idea of visiting a rally to see a variety of makes and models. Most of the manufacturers sell direct-from-factory, so that's a good way to get a first-hand look. Another, if you have a specific make or model in mind, is to contact the manufacturer. Many of them keep a file of owners willing to demo their units for prospective buyers.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Wife and I and a Golden. 16` Scamp, side dinette with front shower/toilet. It works for us. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I'd take a hard look at the Casita and Scamp lines of trailers. Since this would be your first trailer, these are not an expensive commitment.

Just because you can tow 6500 lbs, doesn't mean you should max out your capabilities on your first trailer. The heavier you go, the more there is to deal with, costs go up and your fuel economy goes down. Bigger is not always better, as many on this forum can attest.

I'd look for something inexpensive to start with, learn what you like or don't like, and then look for the perfect trailer when you are ready to move up.

Good luck in the hunt!
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #10

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
While I am not always happy with the company, ParkLiners pack a lot into a small lightweight trailer. They can accommodate 6'4" height, and have a queen size bed. While many options are available, there is only one size trailer at this time.

We'll be down your way the week after Labor Day at Delaware Seashore State Park. Stop by and take a look.

It's my wife & I and our 15# schnoodle!

Best of luck to you.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #11

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Right here on the forum -

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post506170

This one is gone, but should give you an idea if something like it would work for you. And you now have an idea of price.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:17 PM   #12

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Piccolo, or grand piano? Makes a difference. I second the suggestion to go to a rally if you can, but if you can't you can get a pretty good idea from looking at manufacturers sites (virtual tours) and then comparing sizes to trailers for sale even if they aren't current models. And definitely take advantage of nearby or traveling members willing to show off their trailers (most of us love to).

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
A lot depends on how you and your wife define cramped . We own a 17 ft Casita ,which my wife feels is cramped ,yet many on this forum are more than happy with a 13 ft. I would take the time to go to a rally and view differential size trailers and talk to their owners .Virtual tours on the internet are okay but no substitute for actually seeing something up close. IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #14

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Your tow will work with most molded towables. I second the advice to go to a fiberglass rally where you can see lots of different offerings from Scamp, Escape, Casita, etc. Tour the trailers in person to see if they work. Money is always a consideration, but getting the right size for YOU is more important IMHO.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #15

Maryland
Thanks everyone!

Thanks for all of your time and comments. A nice group of people! A new world for us.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #16

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Mike, I will ditto the advice to physically visit a trailer or two. This made it a lot easier for us to see how roomy a particular make/model is and whether it feels cramped to you, because it is all relative. I will also recommend the Townsend rally. That was our first and we really enjoyed meeting other molded fiberglass enthusiasts and seeing a wide variety of makes and models--U-haul, Burro, Boler, Casita, Scamp, Lil Snoozy, Oliver, & Escape are the ones I remember. You also get a chance to see how people have made their trailer right for them. Good luck in your hunt.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Definitely go to a rally. Everyone will be interested in showing you their trailers.

As to space in a trailer, the absolute space is relatively small compared to the way most people have lived. For us there was definitely a change in how we live. Now we are very comfortable in a small space and a little uncomfortable in a large space. We have come to love the closeness.

We do not have pets, we do not play musical instruments, but we have spent the good part of the last 14 years in small space and last 7 in 16 foot trailers. Never once have we sought more space.

One nice part about campgrounds is that you can sit outside and play your instrument. On one of our first camping adventures I could here a marvelous flute in the distance. If you can play most will listen cheerfully.

Part of becoming a traveler is changing your mind set.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #18

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
Mike i see your in Md, i'm located in Baltimore. Your more than welcome to come by and check out my 2014 17ft. Casita SD. I tow mine with a 2004 tacoma 4x4 with no issues. It's perfect for my wife, our dog and I. Let me know if your interested in checking it out.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #19

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Mike, there is a 21' Escape owner not too far from you in PA who is, in fact, from Baltimore. He would gladly show you his Escape and you will no doubt hear from him. If you don't, send me a private message. I believe he has had dogs, plural, in his trailers.

You can tow any of the Escapes and, therefore, any of the 16' or 17' other brands. The 19' Escape is very different from the 21' but you seem to need space.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:34 AM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hi Mike,
I replied to your other thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-md-68250.html

Tags
light, weight