Sebring Bank Robbery Today - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Sebring Bank Robbery Today

I am hoping that no one from here was in Sebring and at the Bank Today that was held up?

People were murdered waiting in line at the bank.
This is so far out of hand it is tough to face.

I just hope all are safe in Highlands Hammock and send a little prayer their way from here.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #2

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Ed, I am at Highlands Hammock. Arrived the day before the tragedy when highway 27 was shut down both directions. What a horrible incident.

Jon

Arrived at Highlands Hammock to find 5 other Casitas, 2 Oliver’s and one Scamp. It’s not even rally week yet !
jon carpenter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Can we please keep the political stuff out of this forum?
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Community rules are pretty clear on not airing political commentary here and why. For anyone in need of a quick review of those rules here is a link. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...ork&page=rules
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Political stuff??
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Two posts expressing opposing opinions on gun control were deleted.

Thank you for catching it quickly, Roger!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Thank you Roger !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon carpenter View Post
Ed, I am at Highlands Hammock. Arrived the day before the tragedy when highway 27 was shut down both directions. What a horrible incident.

Jon

Arrived at Highlands Hammock to find 5 other Casitas, 2 Oliver’s and one Scamp. It’s not even rally week yet !
Well I am glad you were not there!

And I sure had no intention of this being a thread about Politics either,thanks for shutting that noise down.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:04 PM   #9

Name: Terry
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Serious question, exactly what defines something "political"? Is it a differing opinion?
Or is it based on labels? Labels are what are wrong, opinions are not. I know plenty of people that are for and against gun control, abortion, drug legalization, big government, little government and so on, from both sides of the political table.
But it's okay to place a label on someone based on an opinion?
Hmmmmmmmmm........
I miss the days when our society wasn't trained to be victims. Things like this make me glad I'm getting old..
BahneCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #10

Tennessee
Since I was the one who flagged the two posts, I'll give you my view on it. One post was pro-gun control, one was anti. I obviously agree with one of them, and not the other, but I flagged both.

I come here to talk about fiberglass trailers, if I want to discuss gun control, or abortion, or government in general, there are plenty of other places to do that. And being pretty politically active, I do have pretty strong opinions on most things like that, and do discuss them quite often.

I don't see that as being a victim, but just as someone who wants folks to follow rules that are very clearly posted for using this forum.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #11

Tennessee
Thank you for the reply.
I guess my age is showing. I couldn't care less for sushi so I just drive by and go somewhere else and still have a great day.
BTW I love my Casita. No offense intended to any camper owners.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #12

Tennessee
No offense taken on my part. And we love our Escape

Can't wait until April when we head down to Gulf Shores for a week
Old 01-30-2019, 01:18 PM   #13

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
No offense taken on my part. And we love our Escape

Can't wait until April when we head down to Gulf Shores for a week
That sounds fun! GS is a great place. Me, I cant wait for anything warm.

My summer promise, "I will not complain about the heat." Right now we could use a little global warming.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #14

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Red face ops

No offense taken or meant by me either. We love camping.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:06 PM   #15

Not offended here either,I feel the same way as I do when someone asks about a TV suggestion and then gets admonished about wanting a TV at all.

Just not in the Spirit of the helpful nature that I love about this place.

And it has rocketed up to 2 degrees here now and is supposed to be in the 60s this weekend!
Make up your mind already weather.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:26 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahneCasita View Post
Serious question, exactly what defines something "political"? Is it a differing opinion?
Or is it based on labels? Labels are what are wrong, opinions are not. I know plenty of people that are for and against gun control, abortion, drug legalization, big government, little government and so on, from both sides of the political table.
But it's okay to place a label on someone based on an opinion?
Hmmmmmmmmm........
I miss the days when our society wasn't trained to be victims. Things like this make me glad I'm getting old..
Since you asked, here's what the rule actually says:
"Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive."

I note that limited discussion of any of these topics is permitted as long as (1) it directly relates to the forum topic, all-molded fiberglass trailers, and (2) discourse remains civil. Opinions are fine as long as they stay within those boundaries. Facts are also welcome, and subject to the same limitations.

In terms of politically sensitive topics, my experience is that as long as discussion remains focused on how the issue directly relates to RV ownership and use and doesn't turn ugly, it's fair game. When it starts to name or blame specific elected officials or political parties it will be shut down. The best example I can recall was a recent thread regarding the shutdown of federal campgrounds and recreational lands. As long as the discussion centered on how it was affecting the parks and whether certain places were open or not, no problem. As soon as the discussion turned to whose fault it was, moderators intervened.

As Greg says, this forum is about ownership and use of all-molded fiberglass trailers. "General Chat" has a more relaxed standard about what that means, but it does not include going completely off-topic. There should be some connection to RV's, travel, and camping.

Hopes that helps clarify the boundaries a little. There are some grey areas. This was not one of them. Gun control policy is a hot button, highly politicized issue with no direct connection to the forum topic. Most of the other topics you listed would fall in the same category.

Here's a link to the rest of the FGRV Community Rules. If you scroll down, there is a statement about free speech under the first amendment as it relates to this privately owned forum website.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:57 AM   #17

I am hoping that you are not suggesting that this topic in specific was somehow in violation but that only when it started turning sideways and into a potential political area that it was made an issue?

I started this as more than 100 members of our Family here were potentially directly affected by this incident and as I clearly said I was concerned for their welfare period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Since you asked, here is what the rule actually says:
"Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive."

I note that limited discussion of any of these topics is permitted as long as (1) it directly relates to the forum topic, and (2) discourse remains civil.

In terms of politically sensitive topics, my experience is that as long as discussion remains focused on the pros and cons of a public policy issue directly related to RV ownership and use, and it doesn't turn ugly, it is tolerated, but when it starts to name or blame specific people or parties it will be shut down. The best example I can think of was a recent thread regarding the shutdown of federal campgrounds and recreational lands. As long as the discussion centered of how it was affecting the parks and whether certain places were open or not, no problem. As soon as the discussion turned to whose fault it was, moderators intervened.

As Greg says, this forum is about ownership and use of all-molded fiberglass trailers. "General Chat" has a looser standard about what that means, but it does not include going completely off-topic. There should be some connection to RV's, travel, and camping.

Hopes that helps clarify the boundaries a little. There are some grey areas. This was not one of them. It was a hot button, highly politicized issue with no direct connection to the forum topic.

Here's a link to the rest of the FGRV Community Rules. If you scroll down, there is a statement about free speech under the first amendment as it relates to this privately owned forum website.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I am hoping that you are not suggesting that this topic in specific was somehow in violation but that only when it started turning sideways and into a potential political area that it was made an issue?

I started this as more than 100 members of our Family here were potentially directly affected by this incident and as I clearly said I was concerned for their welfare period.
No, it is as you say. I was referring specifically to the deleted posts that threatened to turn the thread into a general debate about gun control. I clarified the fifth paragraph by adding the phrase "gun control policy" to reference the problematic topic.

Sorry I gave the wrong impression.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:49 AM   #19

No I apologize that I read it that way.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #20

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Flags were at half mast in Highlands County for this.