Security - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
When I asked about best purchase individuals made no one mentioned any related to security. I read in a post how someone felt vulnerable in his/her egg. Have you thought of how you would deal with difficulties. I have never felt uncomfortable in a campground in Alberta, but I am planning a trip dowm the Oregon Coast. I hike and have bear spray and thought that I might purchase a portable boat airhorn. What do you do to feel secure? The comment, bring my wife along does not cut it this time.
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
My dog and an 18" solid wood polo mallet.
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 1970 Campster
I bring my 3 dogs. When someone comes into my camp and asks, "Are they friendly?" I reply, "That all depends." When strangers see my big, black 85 lb collie they think twice even though he is very friendly. However, if he senses something is not right about an approaching person he let's EVERYONE know about it and can be quite the imposing figure. I also bring bear spray as well and have this on a leash in case something attacks one of my shelties while I'm walking them. Bear spray works perfectly well on people if necessary.
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Just reading something like this on another forum (and we don't need to deteriorate into a bullet-launcher discussion; most of us have already made our minds up on the subject and won't be persuaded otherwise).

It was pointed out that alarms, esp ones that don't sound like car alarms, like horns or whistles are a better thing in a campground than at home -- Folks are far more likely to pay attention to them, esp if there is a Camp Host.

When contemplating the use of bear spray, one must stop to consider wind direction! Having experienced several different kinds of people spray, it is wise to be upwind!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Unhappy

Quote:
When contemplating the use of bear spray, one must stop to consider wind direction! Having experienced several different kinds of people spray, it is wise to be upwind!
Point well taken, Pete. One thing to mention about bear or pepper spray is that they project a fine stream about 12 feet out rather than a broad mist. You need to target any of the mucous membranes, i.e., eyes, nose or mouth, and be pretty darn accurate (and close!) There have been several times that my dogs were on high alert while walking and I cocked the spray head just to be ready if needed. Thank goodness I've never had to use the stuff but I feel safer knowing that I have this option.
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:26 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
I just lay my .45 Auto by the bed.

Don't come in my trailer unannounced, ......... unless I know you really good.

(oh, .... I am licensed to carry and X-law enforcement - 22 years)
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #7

Remember that this thread was started by someone crossing an international border. That limits a lot of options!
Old 04-14-2008, 06:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
Just reading something like this on another forum (and we don't need to deteriorate into a bullet-launcher discussion; most of us have already made our minds up on the subject and won't be persuaded otherwise).
Good point, Pete. I made a trip down the Washinton/Oregon/California coast with only my wife for defense. Found her to be all that I needed.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:50 AM   #9
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
When I asked about best purchase individuals made no one mentioned any related to security. I read in a post how someone felt vulnerable in his/her egg. Have you thought of how you would deal with difficulties. I have never felt uncomfortable in a campground in Alberta, but I am planning a trip dowm the Oregon Coast. I hike and have bear spray and thought that I might purchase a portable boat airhorn. What do you do to feel secure? The comment, bring my wife along does not cut it this time.
We had some folks who were thinking about dealing with security difficulties back in 2006. Security while Travelling Alone
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #10
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
My very first night out in my trailer alone, I sat up in bed and asked myself what I thought I was doing. It wasn't long until I looked around and remembered some things. First, I know my trailer and where everything is. Second, all I have to do is sit up and I can reach into my flatware/knife drawer. Third, chances are the would-be trouble maker would hit his head coming into my trailer, stumble over my shoes as he tried to come in. This would leave him so discombulated, by the time I was on all over him, he'd be begging for mercy. At this, I simply laid back down and have never given it a second thought.

When my dog goes with me, it's definitely not an issue. Besides his size, there is also his water bowl at the door for the intruder to try and step around.

I don't know how I would feel if I were in a bigger trailer, but the inside of my 16' is MY world and I own it. When traveling, these little trailers draw so much attention, it's not likely that anyone will bother you.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #11

Trailer: 77 Scamp
This is not so much security when your sleeping but when your away and worried about your trailer, my husband read a post about how to protect your tent when out in the boonies camping. Five guys had set up five tents and when they came back from camping four of them had been ransacked. Trying to figure out why the fifth was not the others discovered his secret...A box of "RID" ( used to kill head lice) was opened up and made to look like it had been used just inside the tent. Box open, instructions out, nobody wants to steal the sleeping bag or anything else from the tent that has lice in it. I thought it was a clever way to protects ones things without the use of force. Now as far as protecting ones's self at night in the trailer, trust your instinct and get to know your neighbors. Just a thought, everyone is posting what they have, what they would use for protection but anyone can read this forum. Not saying someone is going to stalk any one and chances are if some lowlife is going to be breaking in to a trailer he's not researching them on the internet but it does make you think just a little about divulging hey I'm going to campground "A" and I have a dog who seems intimidating but is really a sweatheart. Something to think about
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #12

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
We rely on the boat horn (specified for a 35 ft boat) and we have dogs that bark and lots of blunt & sharp instruments and know where they all are.

I remember having this conversation around a campfire and liked one idea, I heard... a lone traveler put out a big worn pair of work boots, a heavy gage dog chain & a big dog bowl of water.

humm, I like the alarm idea -- help protect when you are aware from the trailer.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Step one. Close your blinds when you are not in the trailer. That way the would be thief can not window shop.

Step two. Lock both locks if you have two like the Casitas.

Step three. Be aware of where you park. In a resturant ask for a table near the window. Don't park between two big rigs because this provides good cover for a parking lot thief.

Step four. Don't do inside tours if you plan to leave the trailer where it is and go away for several hours. (See, we have a microwave inside this cupboard and a TV set up here and I plug my computer in here just gives them a list of what to look for when you drive away.) I know this is hard when we have such cute trailers.

Step five. Meet your neighbors in the campground and walk up and say, "hey, we are heading to a two hour hike, would you keep an eye on our camp spot while we are gone?"

Step six. Try not to stop where you don't have cell phone service and keep you cell phone within arms reach when you sleep. Also if your auto has an alarm keep your key chain where you can set it off if need be. Draw attention.

And a silly but real comment. If you yell, help help help, you will not get as much responce then if you yell 911, 911, call 911. The thought behind that is people yell when they stub their toe or bump their head but if it is a real emergency, calling 911 provides help and keeps the neighbor from having to put themselves in danger.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #14

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
These are all interesting ideas, my wife and I drove from Alberta last summer, all the way along the coast from Washington, all the way down to Mendocino California (had to go back to work). We stayed in all sorts of campgrounds along the way, and found everyone we came across to be exceptionaly friendly, we had no concern for security.

The only incident we had was in a rest area in eastern Washington, we had pulled over for a little rest, and some young fellows in a car took a couple of trips through the rest area screaming and honking their horn, never saw them again. Just a guess, but had I confronted them, that might have been the invitation they were looking for to start something...

Don't worry, have fun, it is a great trip!
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1984
We have a Jack Russell. While she is very friendly, and not too big, she can set up quite a ruckus if startled or unsure of what is happening. I would prefer this to some of the other methods mentioned.
I have deleted the rest.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Having some kind of plan ahead of time about how to deal with different scenarios is good.

Dogs are good. Perverts, thieves, thugs and drunk idiots instinctively want to avoid barking dogs.

I believe that being blinded by a very bright flashlight and a blast of pepper spray to the eyes would cause 95%% of assailants to retreat or at least hesitate in their assault.

There are a lot of variables with this subject.

I believe the most important is location and your judgement and mental ability to avoid locations where trouble is more likely to occurr. If you find yourself in a bad location, have the ability to decide to leave. While no place can be 100% safe some are clearly much better than others. Evaluate the kind of people who are around. The presence of women, children and older people tends to moderate the attitude of a group. Retirees boondocking outside Quartzsite most likely will not attack you. Ex convicts living at the Slabs might steal your stuff. Look for clues like a large number of anonymous persons with easy access coming and going in the area (such as a highway rest stop). One of the things criminals bank on is anonymity, that is getting away without being identified. Campers getting drunk, playing loud music or otherwise being inconsiderate of those around them is a clue that things may go bad later on.

The next variable is the way you present to world both physically and mentally. Being a jerk certainly increases your chance of getting assaulted. Appearing as someone who is lost or weak or vulnerable also invites a certain element to victimize you.

There is an FBI study that shows that an inordinate number of police officers who are killed are perceived as being very nice guys. The tough ones are more likely to make it through their career alive. There is something about appearing genuinely nice that implies weakness and can invite or trigger an attack.

Another variable is you and your perception of your ability and your actual ability to deal with the fast moving physical and mental dynamics of a confrontation. Consumption of alcohol or drugs negatively affects those abilities. Even one glass of wine or a proper dose of prescription drugs. Being intoxicated significantly increases your chances of being assaulted or victimized.

Now consider the suspect or assailant and his state of mind and/or intoxication at the time. Most people make the mistake of assuming that logic and reason guide him. If he reaches a point where he will actually do an unprovoked assault or break in to a camper he knows is occupied he has issues or attitudes that you can not overcome by being nice or having a debate with him.

Be aware that being armed can wind up going very badly very quickly. If you think you can pull out a gun, wave it like a magic wand and take control of a situation like you see on TV you are sadly mistaken. 40% of police officers who get shot get shot with their own guns. Some officers who do shoot a suspect are then ruled to be wrong. The legal aspects of the use of deadly force are complex. Officers have been trained and judged and see themselves as being qualified to do all of this. Being qualified means having the perception and ability to accurately evaluate, classify legal aspects and physically deal with the fluid (changing) dynamics of a confrontation. That includes not allowing the emotional reaction of being victimized to cloud judgement and prompt inappropriate actions. I can tell you that things happen fast in an armed confrontation.

If you do successfully repeal an attack by shooting someone you may still be alive and uninjured but you will not emerge completely unscathed. Your camping trip will be messed up. You will completely loose control of your life for a time, perhaps a long time. You must immediately notify the authorities that you did the shooting. Not doing so indicates you are wrong. You must obtain medical assistance and/or provide first aid for a seriously injured suspect. If you don't and he dies, a justified shooting can turn into a murder charge. You will need to keep your mouth shut and get a lawyer to do the talking to the police no matter how right you are. You will have become a shooting or homicide suspect and determining if you were right or wrong will be done by others who do not know you, do not have sympathy for you and who will be looking to find any fault they can with your actions. You will likely be in a jail cell while this is being decided. Yes, that would be better than being dead or seriously injured but it is an ordeal that I will go to great lengths to avoid.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Good point, Pete. I made a trip down the Washinton/Oregon/California coast with only my wife for defense. Found her to be all that I needed.
One thing that I was wondering about, was what people used to secure their trailer. Has anyone had their trailer stolen? Should a person purchase a hitch lock? Someone mentioned that a BAL leveler would might slow down a potential thief. While I think that it is important to be aware while you are in a campground, what is protecting my trailer while I am away?
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp / Silver Ford 150
I'm with you, Greg - having the trailer stolen or (more likely) broken into while I'm not there is my bigger concern. I have a hitch lock, I keep the trailer locked to the truck, when the trailer's not on the truck I keep the hitch locked shut.

As far as break-ins go I don't have a solution. We regularly camp and hike from the end of the road, so no one around to watch for funnies....I guess that's what insurance is for, and I don't leave old masters, diamonds and rubies, or even computers in the trailer when I'm not there.

Bsrring
barring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
I've camped for over 20 years in the Pacific NW (in state parks, RV parks and some dispersed camping) in a tent and in my egg and have really never had any problems at all. I travel alone generally (or with my two wimpy dogs).

I try not to leave anything really valuable in view and I lock my car and trailer when I'm off hiking. But I've never had anything that I left out stolen (chairs, lanterns, coolers, etc). I've left a campground only 3 times - after my initial circle through left me feeling a little nervous about who was there/noise level etc. The worst thing that ever happened was the time a racoon got into my cooler and opened all my bags of granola and spread them all over.

So - for me - common sense and being somewhat mindful of my surroundings gives me peace of mind.

Edited to add: I do have a hitch lock and am considering locking in a spare 2" ball to plug up the hitch connection.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #20

Sometimes it's the people with you who are the problem.

http://www.komotv.com/news/local/17648104.html