SECURITY - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Thumbs down

We recently had a chilling experience. We took a two night trip to visit some friends. When we entered our stationary house, the alarm system indicated that the motion detector had caused the alarm to go off. I walked through the house, but didn't see anything disturbed. The next day I was in the kitchen and thought I could hear children at the school beyond our back yard too plainly, like a window was open.
Upon investigation, I found that one of our back windows was smashed and opened. The screen was propped against the house and the storm window was open also.
Apparently the sensor on the window was faulty, sticking, but the motion detector had picked up someone coming inside the house.
It occurs to me that having a trailer parked next to your house and then when it is gone is a sign that we are not at home.
Thoughts?
BTW: The alarm system just paid for itself!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

It occurs to me that having a trailer parked next to your house and then when it is gone is a sign that we are not at home.

Yes, it has occured to me each time we leave. We never know who might be looking.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
You're right, this is a worry as out trailer sits on the driveway, when we're gone it's gone.
The best you can do is tell the neighbors your plans and hope they are more vigilant when you are gone.
Unless you want to spend for a big bucks alarm system, even then you're time will be shortened by then calling you.

pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
In an effort to keep things looking as normal as possible, when I will be gone for an extended period of time, I have one of the neighbors put a bag of trash in front of the house on trash day. I return the favour when they are away.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We also have a security system, which is pretty good. As Roger indicated, the system does not go off unless the window or door is opened or the motion detectr goes off. Fortuneatly, our Sherrif's dept is good at respnding as well as our neighbors.

We also have cats to be fed while we are gone and have friends in daily to feed and check on them. That creates traffic in the driveway if we are gone for more thna a couple of days.

We are also careful about who we tell We are about to embark on a several week trip and want to stay in touch. I created a closed group on Facebook so only our family and freinds know our departure and return dates. Yet they can read the daily log of our trip and see pictures that we will post along the way. They can also communicate with us by posting a message.

Dave
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita
This security thing is always a big concern for us. We have had an ADT Security system for years. When I was still working and traveled a lot, it was especially great for Shirley. Although, I think if the alarm went of at night when either or both of us were home, we would probably die of fright anyway. So it probably doesn't matter really. (Just kidding of course )

One of the things I love the most about the security system is the 24 / 7 Fire protection.

I had never thought about the trailer being gone, being a signal that you were gone, so maybe I'll stop griping so much about not being able to store it at home. We usually get it a couple days before we leave, pack it up, then leave the next day. Now I'm going to even re-think that. Maybe I'll take it back to the lot for a day or so before we actually leave.

Another thing we do is to have a Post Office Mail box. We've done that for years so we don't have to worry about mail piling up and we don't take any papers either. I have some neighbors and friends that look for packages on the porch too.

Anyway, what I want to know is if anyone has looked into a Video system that one could monitor remotely while gone. I always have a Lapflop with me and have thought about that as an added measure.

The best thing would be to live in a senior high-rise but we're not ready for that.... quite yet.

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Sounds to me like your security system did what it was supposed to do, other than get a someone to stay there while you were gone what else would you want. If your on good terms with your neighbors then ask them to check it every so often and keep your insurance paid.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Might I add I was recently broken into (my car)......went on craigslist and found my item, made arragements as a potential "buyer" and went and retrieved my items. Not recommended, however I have my items back and "Joe" has a courtdate pending.
Glad to hear your safe.

Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Another advantage of being able to store the trailer in the garage!

Maybe you could make a deal with a friend or neighbor- you park your trailer in their yard and vice versa. Then when your trailer is gone they'll be home and when their trailer is gone you'll be home. Although I'm not sure you want to invite anyone to break and enter when you are home, either!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #10

Trailer: Trail Michigante

Thankfully we're not in a high crime area. Many neighbors rarely lock their door. But since we're gone for 5 to 8 weeks every summer we feel that we need to do something security-wise. Being that we live in a college town we've always been able to find a quiet graduate student who'd like to spend those weeks at our house instead of the usual tiny student apartment.

The gal who stayed at our house June/July was actually "home" more than we'd usually be...her thesis wasn't about to write itself. She kept the plants watered and the yard tidy. And she'd bring in the mail, open those items that we'd instructed her to and even took care of some of our bills.

So we're happy to report that on our return all of our belongings were intact!

Vic
Vic&Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Might I add I was recently broken into (my car)......went on craigslist and found my item, made arragements as a potential "buyer" and went and retrieved my items. Not recommended, however I have my items back and "Joe" has a courtdate pending.
Glad to hear your safe.
Good Detective work Brandy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have always thought about just this scenario even when my truck is gone for a few days. Thankfully we have a huge barn that the Casita lives in when not in use so it only gets pulled out within minutes of taking off on a trip. But one thing I do is park my truck in different areas so that people don't get use to seeing it, in the same spot. As well as when we leave for longer lengths of time, our neighbor is kind enough to park one of his vehicles in the drive way to make it look like some one is around. My Mom is usually here by her self when we are gone and the neighbors check in with her but have thought about getting a Alarm system even though I hated the Alarm system we had at the resort. It had the office/apt alarmed like Fort Knox all the time, and then could alarm the whole building in the off season. Glad to know your's prevented someone getting in and having a field day. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm fortunate, I live in a cul-de-sac. The only people that drive in are those that live here or are lost. Our biggest deterrent is talking to the neighbors and we watch out for one another. Taking mail/paper out of the boxes when on vacation, etc. I've encouraged one of my neighbors to park in my driveway... especially when I'm out of town. A couple of "Neighborhood Watch" signs may help too... we've got a couple hanging from light poles.

The difference between now... and the good-ole-days, is we used to watch out for one another. It's time to go backwards! I don't worry so much about my home being broken into as a leaking hot water heater (and that's happened) that can flood the garage/utility room, etc. By watching out for one another, we can all help to prevent theft and damage to our homes.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
**leaking hot water heater**

Donna raises a good point - another good thing to do is go around to all the sinks and toilets... shut off the valves - and there is a valve on the COLD side of the water heater too. (it would be better to shut off the water main coming INTO the house, but be sure that you don't lose outside irrigation). Turn your water heater to Pilot (or off). Turn off the gas to other appliances (Dryer, and so on..). If SUMMER, you can turn the gas off at the meter, but then you DO have to relight stuff when you get home). If in the winter, put the heater on the LOWEST setting to prevent freezing.

Develop a "shut down" list for YOUR HOUSE. And that list also serves as a reminder for when you get home of the things you need to turn back ON.

Quote:
I'm fortunate, I live in a cul-de-sac. The only people that drive in are those that live here or are lost. Our biggest deterrent is talking to the neighbors and we watch out for one another. Taking mail/paper out of the boxes when on vacation, etc. I've encouraged one of my neighbors to park in my driveway... especially when I'm out of town. A couple of "Neighborhood Watch" signs may help too... we've got a couple hanging from light poles.

The difference between now... and the good-ole-days, is we used to watch out for one another. It's time to go backwards! I don't worry so much about my home being broken into as a leaking hot water heater (and that's happened) that can flood the garage/utility room, etc. By watching out for one another, we can all help to prevent theft and damage to our homes.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft and Casita 13 ft
This has been a concern of ours since we first bought our camper. Now we have two in the backyard! It is very obvious when we are gone - camper gone...big black truck that won't fit into the garage is gone too!

So when one of the campers is gone along with the truck, it's a sure sign that we are not home. Except....when I go off camping with the Sisters on the Fly and then hubby is home! Yikes... wouldn't want to be a burglar under that scenario - thinking no one is at home!

Here's what we do: We keep the lights on inside the house at night that we normally do and we park my car in the driveway giving the appearance that someone is there - maybe housesitting. We have motion detector lights in the front and back yard that are always on dim and when someone walks near they get very bright. We also ask one of our grown children to go by the house and check things over once or twice depending on how long we will be away. Thats the best we can do....everything is insured and off we go to have fun!

Patty
Patty C. is offline   Reply With Quote