Security while Traveling alone - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 09:50 AM   #29

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
My personal idea on this is: Trust but verify.

IOW, I expect them to be, but I assume nothing. It all goes back to instinct.
Seems to me I saw a news article where drug dealers were using travel trailers. Maybe they were all wrong about that.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:52 AM   #30

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Older travel trailers are commonly used as small meth labs, and the Waste is "Innocently" dumped at KOAs and other dump stations.

Mobile and stealthy. There are a couple private parks I know of in So. Oregon that were closed for a time to get the contamination cleaned up.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:00 AM   #31
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Seems to me I saw a news article where drug dealers were using travel trailers. Maybe they were all wrong about that.
Not to be flippant, but they also shop in the same stores and drive on the same roads, but that doesn't mean that most of the people out there are ne'er do wells.

I never approach a fellow RVer, I always wait for them to approach me. My guess is that if they are using their RV for illegal uses, they really don't want to draw attention to themselves and will keep their distance from me.

My mother used to be concerned about me going out at night or traveling by myself. It's like I told her, I can worry myself to death and hibernate or I can use good judgement, be careful, have have a good time.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #32

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
No Byron, you're right, they have been. But so have houses, cars, barns, corn cribs, open fields, garaged, motels, and old warehouses. You name it, it's been used. Frankly I'm much more concerned about getting a motel room with a meth lab next door. All clan labs are an explosion and fire waiting to happen.

You need to remember though, that there all kinds of wackos and wierdos plying our world, and Suz is right. They live in your neighborhood, shop at the same stores you do, and don't stand out much until something goes really, really wrong... the BTK killer in Wichita is a perfect example. Few people walk around with "Crook" stamped on their foreheads. Street and prison gang members can look scary, and they do it to intimidate. They're pretty easy to spot. Other folks who are just as dangerous blend right into the woodwork.

If you really want to read some scary stuff right here in the heartland, check this link out:

Southern Poverty Law Center: Intelligence Project

And then this attacking the organization above. In their zeal to discredit one another, both sides have perspectives that are really inflammatory stuff that drives violent and anarchist-prone folks. And those same folks all shop at Wal-Mart and HyVee with us.

Most of us live in a pretty insular world. Our perception of crime comes from being bombarded with stories of horrible crimes from around the world every day in the media. Unfortunately we tend to internalize each story and see them as a personal threat to us. How many folks went out and bought plastic for their windows and duct tape to hold it on a couple of years ago after Tom Ridge said it was a good idea? How many of us have actually had the need for it?

Once again, you can't jump at every shadow or you'd never get out of bed in the morning. You DO have to be alert to what's going on around you. Fortunately, criminal behavior among campers is generally related to alcohol consumption and its attendant problems. Stranger violence is very rare. Yes, generally the world can be a dangerous place, but if you just pay attention to what's going on around you, the odds of YOU being a victim of a stranger crime are pretty slim. Frankly, the statistics show, at least in the U.S., that you're "orders of magnitude" much more likely to be assaulted or killed by a spouse or family member than a stranger.

So, really folks, please keep this stuff in perspective.

Roger

On edit... PowerBall is over $100 million tonight... I think I need to buy a ticket...
Old 03-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #33

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
My Ex got bumped across the room in his home from a car going off the road. He was in bed at the time. The old man driving had a problem and drove across a field and through the side of the house, through the bathroom then to the bed. (I thought it was funny. He was/is my ex after all )
My way of saying even you're bed's not safe. Might as well get up and out.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:27 PM   #34

West Coast USA
Registry
Precicsely, Roger.

The point of this thread was not to instill fear in everyone. It was to find out what (Here's that term) common sense practices or even little tricks folks use to better thier security, or even just give themselves the warm fuzzies while being out alone.

I certainly am not a scared rabbit and will continue to go out as I chose, when I chose. I will, however, take the precautions I think are helpful and necessary for me to be comfortable doing so, whether the danger is real, or just a remote possibilty.

Just like I do when I am at home.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:51 PM   #35

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
I'm not afraid of camping or hiking or backpacking. I've been doing all for well over thirty years. I've never been bothered while hiking or backpacking, but I have seen what the locals will do at woodland areas where they have vehicle access and an opportunity to create mischief. Two of the Appalachian Trail shelters I used as a kid in the north Georgia mountains had to be dismantled because they were too close to roads. Locals were driving up and harassing and threatening backpackers, and they were vandalizing the shelters. Also, we lived near Carters Reservoir when it was first filled, and the locals there would drive down to the then brand new facilities on the shore of the lake and destroy them--picnic tables, barbecues, rest rooms--whatever they could demolish. This problem ceased when the campgrounds were established with the presence of campground hosts.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:13 PM   #36

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Bear spray is pepper spray in large cans that spray a long way. The idea is to spray a charging bear and move out of the way at a 90 degree angle and stand perfectly still. The bear will be extremely mad, temporarily blinded, and unable to smell you due to the pepper spray.

You must stand still because the bear can still hear and will chase you.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:08 PM   #37
Chauncey Murphy

We have a four d-cell Brinkman flashlight at the head of the bed. It weighs 2.8 pounds and makes a great club.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:19 AM   #38

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Bear spray???? Please explain. Thanks

Karalyn, check this site: Defense Devices.com

A number of people prefer a strong pepper spray over other types of defense stuff. Google is your friend for finding other websites. Also, check at your local hunting/fishing/sporting goods store. But remember, there is some real junk pepper spray available for sale...the type with such a weak solution of pepper it can be used as breath spray with no ill effects!
Old 03-25-2006, 11:34 AM   #39

West Coast USA
Registry
When I use herbal breath spray, I prefer garlic.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:40 AM   #40

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
You'd also be amazed at how effective a spray bottle of ammonia is...

Roger
Old 03-25-2006, 12:26 PM   #41

West Coast USA
Registry
Now THERE'S a great idea, and exactly what I was looking for. Little things that people do or know about that are so simple, you could slap your head and say "I coulda had a V-8".

Small spray bottle and amonia is on my shopping list today. Thanks Roger.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #42

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
My wife carries a small container of bear spray, which is her choice, but I'm not convinced that it is a good idea. Any weapon (including that flashlight) can be used by an attacker against the victim. If someone attacks you, can you get the device (spray, club, knife, gun...) out and use it effectively before it is taken from you, and potentially used against you? I don't know, I just wonder.

In the case of a bear (which I realize is not the subject of this topic), a small can of spray seems unlikely to do much good if the bear is already close enough to be in range.

Personally, I would like to think that if I were attacked by a person - or charged by a bear - I will have the presence of mind to calmly take the most effective action... but I doubt it would really go that way.

Closed Thread