Security while Traveling alone - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 12:10 AM   #57

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
This subject wouldn't exist if somebody(s) weren't worried.
Actually Byron, your judgement is completly incorrect. I was the one that started this thread, and it is done in the spirit of preparedness, not worry.

As Candi elegantly stated... one needs to be prepared for all kinds of occurances. This subject is just one of them, and should be taken with no more, and no LESS weight than any other safety subject. It is that preparedness that is one of the many keys needed to allow us to get on the road.

Otherwise, we WOULD stay home cowered in a corner.

It is actually more UN likely that my trailer will seperate from my car than it is that I will be robbed or raped, in any location. Yet you would be the first to run after me to let me know that my chains were not on, or my hitch pin wasn't in. And you would do it out of concern for my safety, not to show off your skills and knowledge.

Knowing you personally, I suspect that if we were in the same isolated campground or boondocking area, but in sites not ajoined, that you would pop around on occasion to check on my welfare. Not out of worry, or paranoia, but just because that is the way you are and you would do it regardless of your accessment of a real or potential threat, or a total NON threat. Thats what nice people do.

This thread is just another thread about safety items and techniques. It is about what can be done when there ISN'T nice people watching out for us to tell us our hitch pin is out, or the boogie man really IS around the corner.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:08 AM   #58

West Coast USA
Registry
BTW, the ONLY time I have had my car broken into by force was on Mount Hood, at a trailhead on the Salmon River Trail. 6 or 7 others had the same joyous suprise along with mine. Forest service hiked in in the morning and notified everyone along the trail in the dispersed sites that we needed to hike down and check our cars.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:24 AM   #59

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Byron, I'm with Gina on this one. The "boogyman" is alive and well in our culture and touches the lives of thousands of people across the country every day. I've spent the past 30 years of my professional career dealing with victims of their "boogyman" and tracking down and prosecuting "boogyman" varients.

We have people in this world who prey on others. It's a fact. It's also a fact that through reasonable preparation and vigilance on our part as individuals, we can reduce the chances of being victimized by boogymen signficantly.

Paranoia is an unreasonable fear. Being prepared for the unexpected, and situational avoidance are not paranoia; they're reasonable actions to be taken, just as is fastening your seatbelt every time you get into your car even though you don't expect to crash on this trip.

The boogyman shops in the same stores we shop at, eats at the same fast-food joints, and generally lives in our neighborhoods. Unfortunately, we don't recognize him until he's either victimized us or he's been caught after victimizing another. Reasonable precautions and preparedness on our part will go a long way in causing the boogyman to choose someone else who's not as cautious or prepared.

Roger
Old 06-21-2006, 01:01 PM   #60

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Byron, I'm with Gina on this one. The "boogyman" is alive and well in our culture and touches the lives of thousands of people across the country every day. I've spent the past 30 years of my professional career dealing with victims of their "boogyman" and tracking down and prosecuting "boogyman" varients.

We have people in this world who prey on others. It's a fact. It's also a fact that through reasonable preparation and vigilance on our part as individuals, we can reduce the chances of being victimized by boogymen signficantly.

Paranoia is an unreasonable fear. Being prepared for the unexpected, and situational avoidance are not paranoia; they're reasonable actions to be taken, just as is fastening your seatbelt every time you get into your car even though you don't expect to crash on this trip.

The boogyman shops in the same stores we shop at, eats at the same fast-food joints, and generally lives in our neighborhoods. Unfortunately, we don't recognize him until he's either victimized us or he's been caught after victimizing another. Reasonable precautions and preparedness on our part will go a long way in causing the boogyman to choose someone else who's not as cautious or prepared.

Roger

Yes! there are bad guys in this world. There's also risk analysis. The bad guy is more likely to be found in your neighborhood than out in camp grounds. Hence the risk is greater that the bad guy will bother you in your home than while you're camping. When I lived in the city if I was to leave my tent, camp stove, or any other camping gear unattended in my front yard it would be gone in no time. When camping, I've never had a problem. Why? The bad guy isn't as likely to leave town. Again, risk analysis.
Risk analysis also tells me that there are some camp grounds to stay away from. In the summer I won't go to any of the Oregon State camp on Oregon coast during the summer. There's a couple other places I avoid also.
Mostly I don't go where there's going to be a crowd. Risk analysis indicates that the more people around the more likely there's going to be a problem.

So I do take some precautions. I go someplace that I can relax.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #61

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Well said, Byron. And that's what this thread is about is helping our members do risk analysis. for themselves. Thanks.

Roger
Old 06-21-2006, 06:01 PM   #62

West Coast USA
Registry
Thank you everyone for your input. I hope this thread has helped some folks and given some good ideas, one way or another, about thier risk analysis.

Analysis says that it has run it's course.