Seeking advice on trailer sale strategy - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #1

Name: Kevin (Ken)
Trailer: Bigfoot 17, 1988
Wisconsin
Seeking advice on trailer sale strategy

Hello. I have not been on this forum for a couple of years. I moved out of my 1988 Bigfoot 17 and into a house. I took one last trip in it last fall, but now it is time for me to sell.

Anyway, I'm fixing it up for sale and I am wondering what people think of including stuff like solar panels and generator or not. Would it make more sense to sell it all together as a turn-key full-time off-grid package deal, or sell stuff like the generator and other peripherals separately on CL or ebay?

I guess I'm wondering if the extra stuff will even add to the price or the desirability of the trailer, or if I will essentially be giving the stuff away with it, when I could have sold it separately. It looks like my Honda eu2000i generator might sell for around $600, for instance.

I have gone through the process of buying a used trailer with lots of problems and spending 6+ months of full-time labor renovating it. I thought it would only take me a few weeks to renovate it, and I had no idea about all the breakdowns and hassles that would be involved in upgrading the axles, suspension, heater and so forth. If I were to start over again, I would be willing to pay a LOT more than I would have imagined back then to have everything set up for off-grid full-timing ahead of time in a complete package, but I have no idea if potential customers are going to be like me.

Thanks.
Kevin.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I just sold my class A. I set a price for the unit but listed several optional/negotiable items that I could sell separately if needed. I was clear that these were NOT included in the price.

After agreeing to a price for the MH, the buyer then made a separate offer for the accessories. That approach worked well for me.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #3

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
I think conventional wisdom in situations like this is to sell all the individually salable items separately. Kinda like pricing out an automobile sold as a unit from the showroom vs sold as parts from the parts department.

The advantage to selling as a package is that it involves less effort on your part.

Keep some extras to include as "gifts" to the new owner - sweetens the feeling of satisfaction that the purchaser feels and so you will be less likely to hear about minor complaints.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner
Georgia
I'd list as a package but state up front that if components A, B, and C aren't wanted the price would be reduced by X. There's value in the set up you've arranged and a lot of buyers would love to have an off-grid system already done and ready to go. And if your buyer knows that he/she wants something different you'll accommodate that.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #5

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
You can ask what you think the trailer and all of the individual items are worth. There are some people who would know what they are getting. Unless you are in a hurry to sell, that would save you a great deal of trouble. If it does not sell soon enough, you can always reduce the price by omitting some items. Some are more concerned with the bottom line and others with features. You may find a buyer who knows and wants those features.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
It can be a major PIA to sell a bunch of things separately, and some might never sell. I would gladly take a lower total price if I could sell everything in one transaction. That is to say if the trailer were, say, $20,000 and the add-ons might fetch $2,000 if sold individually, I would offer the whole package for maybe $21,400.

The added items might be worth as much or more to the buyer of the trailer as they would sell for separately on the open market. Or they might have almost no value at all to him or her. A solar panel is not much good for a RVer who always uses shore power, but it is to a boondocker.

So be flexible and tailor the sale to the buyer to get the most money for the least hassle.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #7

Name: Kevin (Ken)
Trailer: Bigfoot 17, 1988
Wisconsin
Thanks for the replies.

I think this trailer will probably only be appealing for the price I hope to get, to the solo boondocker, due to the way it has been customized. If someone is looking for camps with hookups, they could get one in more stock condition.

It has a real twin mattress and Ikea couch inside, 2 golf cart batteries, and super heavy duty pos/neg paths optimized for solar, fed into the trailer's vehicle plug, and extra heavy wires, lug connectors, etc... between the panels and plug. Here's a pic of the solar setup:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pindra...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pindra...posted-public/

Most of the plugs, hitch stuff, chocks, hose, etc.. probably aren't worth much sold used. The solar might be, but it seems to go with the battery and rig setup. OTOH, it could be argued that the generator is also necessary for the boondocker, because you need it to run the aircon and supplement the solar when cloudy. Maybe I'll make that item A with a separable price, and leave it at that. It's going to take me a couple weeks to spiff it up, take new pics and write up my ad, so I've got a little time to think about it.