selling the rv -- the saga continues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2003, 06:21 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
selling the rv -- the saga continues

OK, so I placed an add in the local pennysaver -- 10:30 at night, I've just fallen asleep, the phone rings. I stagger out of bed and a man on the phone says he's calling about the Allegro. I say, ok, fine, no problem. I'm half asleep. He starts asking question, most of which are actually answered in the ad. I answer them, still half asleep. He says, "You say there are 194 hours on the generator, why is it so high?" HIGH!?! It's a 1997! I almost didn't put the hours since I thought it'd scare people away thinking the generator is barely broken in yet despite the fact the Allegro is over 6 years old. I am sleepy enough I just think I misunderstood the question and explain that I don't boondock that often, but a few times, and the generator works great, etc. He keeps repeating about the hours being excessive. I, at last, say, "The Allegro is a 1997, that's low hours."

He says he's going to go by the storage place to take a look and drive it around the parking lot. I tell him the guys there have a key and can let him see it, but they won't let him drive it without me there. He says he'll just drive it around the parking lot. I give up and say he can call back if he wants a test drive. Very odd, very very very odd. I suppose I should have set up an appointment for him to look at it, I just didn't feel too comfortable with him. I didn't even ask his name! Oh well, I suspect he was just entertaining himself calling. Who calls at 10:30 at night? In my book, that's kinda rude.

I remember again why I'm not in sales! This selling thing sucks!

Thanks for letting me rant.

Jane

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 06:51 AM   #2

Jane:
I am in sales (land and homes) and I get these calls all the time. People will call at 10 and 11 at night then the same person will turn around and call at 7 in the morning. I sometimes have to sit down and remember , they aren't out to get me, they just aren't thinking. I expect an idea occurs to them and instead of writing it down they grab the phone.
I have to think about it long and hard because in my biz. it is often the most money a person will spend on something in their life and they are worried every minute until it is done.
A little venting, and a little meditation will help.:spin :bh

Old 05-07-2003, 07:01 AM   #3

Those little feelings...

Jane, always trust your guts when it comes to that funny feeling you get with some people. I think it pays off in the long run.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:56 AM   #4

Jane have you tryed the 'parking by a RV show gate' like paul? (I think it was Paul, it could have been Phil) people see it before and after the "new" ones. he did it with his FTT, but it could work with yours.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:57 AM   #5

Yeah, but Jane ... maybe he'll buy it!!

Here's what you do ... next time anybody calls ... say:

"Somebody else is interested in the Allegro ... and they are coming to look at it tomorrow at 3. Since I'm going to be down at the storage yard, I could show it to you first, say at 2 p.m."

Then, when they come and look, say:

"A couple who looked at it yesterday is coming back this evening for a second look. So, if you're interested, you probably should make up your mind soon."

>>very odd

Do you have a friend who can go with you when you should it to people ... particularly if you are getting a bad vibe?

I'm a little nervous about you showing it to this guy by yourself.

But, I do want to to sell your rig ASAP so you can get one of our tiny little fiberglass wonders!

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2003, 09:02 AM   #6

parking by the gate . . . .

I haven't tried that yet . . . . It's an interesting idea. I am really bad, though, and hate to give up my Saturdays! I'm going to take it out camping next week, though, so I'll put some signs in the windows. Maybe someone will see it and want it. I just really hate playing sales person. That is soooo boooorinnng to computer programmer like me. I want to either be working on my computers or training my dogs, not showing people who have no intention of buying around my RV. GGGRRRRRR!

Maybe one of those dealers that have offered me money for me will start to be more appealing. Only I come out with only enough money to pay my bills. Then I'll have to wait a few years to save money to get my tt. I guess that's not so bad, but I want both!

Jane