Sensory Clues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2007, 05:58 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Fresh cut straw brings me back 40 years to summer jobs throwing bales of hay around. The smell of a cheap White Owl cigar immediately brings my Grandfather to mind.

What sensory input(s) means camping to you? What input to one of your five senses immediately sets you to thinking of camping?

Although it's been years since I've backpacked it's the roar of a Svea stove at full tilt. Nothing like it. (I'm making that noise right now. Heads popping up like prarie dogs in the cubes around me. Wah!)

It's the "squeak squeak" of priming a Coleman gas stove or lamp. (No more noises. They're already think I'm nuts, why prove it.)

It's the smell of stale campfire smoke on my clothes the next morning.

edited to elaborate some.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:23 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: It's DAMP canvas, DAMP sleeping bags, DAMP sneakers, DAMP firewood, DAMP matches after a violent thunder storm in the middle of the night
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:48 AM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Sounds - Loons calling at night; elk bugeling (sp?), the crackle of the fire. Being in the quiet of nature long enough to get the "cotton-batting" in the ears feeling, then finally hearing the wind and the songbirds. (Quiet enough to hear a mouse fart at 20 feet)
Smells - smoke from the fire; the earthy smell of the bush; the glorious smell of water; mint in the fog of morning; pines in bush.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
It's the smell of Ol' Woodsman bug dope and the smell of bacon (Hopefully not at the same time )
The sound and smell of a campfire, waves lapping the shore, and the taste of s'mores!!!

Alec
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Well said, all!

And it's all still available to Casita-dwellers. (Sans dampness, of course.)

[Ooops! Sorry. Should have said FGRV-ers!]
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:29 AM   #6

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
Stars....not just a few but Millions of them. When we went camping the other week at Huntington Lake, Ca the wife asked me "what's that cloud...is that a cloud"? It was the Milky Way and I think she had never seen it before.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
milky_way.gif  
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Stars....not just a few but Millions of them. When we went camping the other week at Huntington Lake, Ca the wife asked me "what's that cloud...is that a cloud"? It was the Milky Way and I think she had never seen it before.
Dave
My wife asked the same question two weekends ago at Circle Pines in Williams, AZ. Alas, the cloud was the infamous Milky Way a rare site for Urban dwellers. I understand if you have the right equipment that the Milky Way makes sounds as well.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:44 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Dave
Now that's camping.
The best camping I've had is NOT in the trailer. The trailer is luxury that allows us to be out in marginal or worse weather. We've done that in our tiny backpacking tent.
Mostly camping is getting away from the artificial urban world. Away from city noise, away from light pollution, and into the world nature made. Listening to the sounds of nature, observing the wonders of nature. Watching an insect, or a small animal. Looking the large variations in flora. Watching the ripples on a small lake that's glass smooth. The list goes on and on and on. All those things you can't see, smell, or hear in the artificial urban world.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
The swaying of the canoe as you stroke across the lake. The straps digging into your sholders from an oversized pack on a rough portage. The burning arm muscles as you fight the wind.
___The gentle motion of the hammok at the end of a good day____g'nite all...
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:35 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
... the smell of hardwood burning. No matter where I am -- in the city, in a restaurant with a hardwood pizza oven, in a neighborhood in winter when fireplaces are all ablaze -- as soon as I smell hardwood burning I think of our many years of camping with the kids In Letchworth NY in a tent more than 40 years ago.
Ed Felker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
The saliva-inducing smell of a neighbor's fried onions, the sizzle of a moth falling into a oiled frying pan, the buzz of mosquitoes when I have my full pull over netting jacket, making friends with the intruding crows, and having the ablity to laugh when it's my turn to empty the porti potti ! Waking up to the aroma of fresh coffee a friend has made for me. Trying to figure out how some little field mice have entered the trailer, and freaking out how to get rid of them. Life is good !
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
The sounds outside my Scamp's door is much like this. I have two owls that perch in the tree over my head most evenings.
Drives my dog nuts!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:12 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
What sensory input(s) means camping to you? What input to one of your five senses immediately sets you to thinking of camping?
As I brush the tracked-in dirt off the silk duvet/down comforter, noticing a coffee stain on the 600 thread-count Egyptian cotton sheets.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:49 AM   #14

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
The sounds of rushing water and a crackling fire, the sight of craggy mtns. and immense forests, the smell of fresh air and damp earth, the feel of wood and stone - and the taste of the bug that I've just inhaled!
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:14 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
These days, it's the ability to "take the house off the hook."

I love my nearby friends, my neighbours, my neighbour's kids, my kid's friends, my friend's kids, AND it's so nice to be out in the middle of nowhere with just us for a night or two.

Sensory deprivation: no knocking on the door.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote