Seven in four... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I think a 2000 will run a 5K 'window' type AC.

JIm, was the slide actually made with a flaw that would cause the slide motors to continue burning out? I wonder, because just having a motor burn out one time would seem to suggest nothing more than a bum motor.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
That is a lot of trying out different trailers to find one that suits you, Jim. I have only had three in just over 20 years, and I am by far most pleased with my Escape 19 too.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #17

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
a new (#2) 2009 RoadRunner. It was a 16’ trailer SOB, with a bath, air conditioning, double bed and a bunk overhead, front dinette. We drove out there in July, 2008 and made the switch. We used that unit until a trip to Adirondacks in Fall, 2008 when it became obvious that I did not have the proper w/d set up or there was something wrong with the suspension. The white knuckle trip got me thinking about aerodynamics. Towing a wooden upright box at 60 mph and being all over the road was not pleasant.
That was exactly the trailer that Robert and I looked at when we first decided to move up from tenting to trailering. We decided we were putting the cart before the horse and did not buy it though... just an interesting coincidence.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:16 AM   #18

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Really Steve, I thought I read here somewhere that they will and was suggested getting a hard start capacitor to help when the ac first turns on.... hmmm

deryk
There are plenty of folks on the CasitaForum running A/C with the Honda 2000i. So, I know it can be done. I suppose it really depends on the model/brand of A/C. Before jumping in and purchasing either... it would be well worth further investigation.

Jim, THANKS for sharing your story. To me it just reinforces the decisions folks make on this forum to purchase all molded. While it's not perfect for all, it's perfect for me!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #19

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Your right Donna, and I found some older posts where people here are doing it too. Find out what model ac unit and if its the same one with the same generator it should work.

thanks

deryk
Old 12-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Quote:
Really Steve, I thought I read here somewhere that they will and was suggested getting a hard start capacitor to help when the ac first turns on.... hmmm

deryk
Oh sure, you can force a Honda 2000 to run it. I even tried it for a second or two. However "roof" A/C is listed over the capacity of the Honda 2000. To work even for a trial I had to run the 2000 at top RPM's. Not only did it negate the quiet aspect of the Honda but was also not a very desirable way of treating a $1000 piece of equipment.

As others have mentioned it might work on a small 5k house A/C I've never tried it so not sure how high it would rev.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #21

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Doing a little further reading it depends on the size of the rooftop ac unit.

Honda generators wattage chart guide

A 7000 btu unit would work fine, a 10,000 btu unit would be pushing it to its max...

but yamaha makes a 2400 watt unit...
Old 12-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #22
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Jim, is it true the people of Elkhart are erecting a statue to honor your efforts in keeping the place alive? Good story, thanks for sharing. Raz
Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Doing a little further reading it depends on the size of the rooftop ac unit.

Honda generators wattage chart guide

A 7000 btu unit would work fine, a 10,000 btu unit would be pushing it to its max...

but yamaha makes a 2400 watt unit...
Yes but look at the weight of the Yamaha. Might as well go for the Honda 3000 which is a fantastic generator and has electric start. Honda does make a smaller/lighter 3000 now but I don't have any "experience" with that one.

This is all just my opinion but the best way to use a Honda generator for an extended period of time is on the "ECO" setting for peak efficiency.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Jim, is it true the people of Elkhart are erecting a statue to honor your efforts in keeping the place alive? Good story, thanks for sharing. Raz
I agree, what a journey at least you found your way home, or in your case found your home.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
JIm, was the slide actually made with a flaw that would cause the slide motors to continue burning out? I wonder, because just having a motor burn out one time would seem to suggest nothing more than a bum motor.[/QUOTE]

There is no manual back up for the dual motor electric slide, you have to unlock the motor in order to manually push in or out. Mine stopped working at my house and it was retracted. The only access to the motor while retracted was to tear off the exterior trim to gain access(design flaw, all they needed was an access panel) once unlocked you would have to wedge 2x4 inside to keep it from opening while towing, I'm not towing anything held together by a wedged 2x4. Both of my motors were replaced. Then the slide never retracted 100%, there was always a 2" gap at one end, no way of adjusting it.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #26

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
I've always been of the opinion that slides are a bad idea... Exactly because of problems like those experienced by cpaharley. I think a slide could be designed well (mostly problem free, and fail-safe when a problem does happen) but I have yet to hear of any "good" ones. I guess it's a difficult design challenge because of competing requirements (weight vs. strength).

It's too bad, because extra space in a trailer is never a bad thing. I'm not a claustrophile -- I like my elbow room.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I have friends that were stranded in Montana for a full week, when one of the slides on their monster 5th wheel wouldn't retract. Between the repair bill to have someone drive 80 miles one way (had to make two round trips), the wife's plane fair back to Oregon so she could go back to work, the extra week of camping fees, etc. made me very glad I own a simple little all molded trailer!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #28

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Great story :-) I really enjoyed reading about the seven in four! I am with Donna. I love my little 13 footer and can't imagine switching - that said, I always go to the "for sale" section first on my fiberglass RV visits. (Don't tell Bennie the Burro - he gets so jealous!)