share your opinions!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: 1972 10 ft. compact jr.
Alaska
share your opinions!!

as u might know im in the market for a trailer. i want one that like a havasu compact jr. or a beachcomber, one that looks like that, sometjing older. i want to know anybodys opinions on any trailer.
thank you! love obnoxiousdonkey
Old 02-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Just get an egg of some kind ,there will be allot of help on the forums, and plenty of opinions , the main thing is frame and Axel the rest is plug and play , this ought to get them started . good luck
Old 02-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #3

Alaska
sweet thanks that might give people some guidelines. im also looking for comfort.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
ObnoxiousDonkey deserves to have a BURRO.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
eeeehhhaaaaawwww...get a burro!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #6

Alaska
omg! i just realized that. thank you! i know what to reasearch now!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I see you're in Fairbanks, Alaska. I'd also recommend the double-hulled Burro, or a Bigfoot, for your most=of=the year cold climate. Or an Oliver, of course, if you can find one.
Best of luck.
Sherry
Old 02-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We'd sure like to know what your NEEDs are... like tow weight, number of beds, needed options etc. Everyone has an opinion, but without some facts based on your needs we are shooting in the air.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #9

Alaska
under 1.5 tons and one person. stove maybe an oven sink. no b room. looking for full time so maybe a burro! or something older o could call a burro. like a havasu or beachcomber but i really want a compact jr. i was thinkin of moving to oregon for the forest. so double sided might not be a problem. just wondering peoples opinions on any trailer thatnks.
love obdonk
Old 02-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Every single post on this site is pretty much exactly what you are asking for.

Please don't take this as me being nasty or unwelcoming but I think you need to spend some time researching here as every one of us has an opinion and lots of them are already posted?

This is a site about FGRV' and not a lot else,do some reading.

Ed
Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jack, I'm afraid Ed is right. Did you see all the brands on the home page. We have members that own those brands.. and more! An opinion really doesn't matter because that's all it is. The membership is sorta "Love the one you're with." It's really more about you than us since it's you that will be buying the trailer. Most of us LOVE the trailer we own... how's that for an opinion? But my needs/wants/desires would be different from your own.

There are only eight molded fiberglass trailers CURRENTLY being manufactured. In no order of preference: Casita, Scamp, Escape, Trillium Outback, Trillium RV, Genesis, Little Joe (and siblings), and Little Joe look-a-like made by the Pelsue Company. Maybe soon Lil Snoozy, Bigfoot and perhaps Oliver will start up again.

So, you really do need to concentrate on yourself, your needs, your budget. Because if you're buying used, you'll also need to consider your abilities to repair/mod, budget, needs and AVAILABILITY of finding a used trailer of your dreams. For instance, you may desire a Havasu but know there is one chance in a million you'll find one in your area...
Old 02-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #12

Alaska
well what i was going for on this thread was for anyone to red others' opinions, i am doing reasearch but this thread is nit just for me. i wanted all the people as well as i to know others' opinions. not for my benefit. i said that in the last line if my last post
Old 02-06-2011, 12:43 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Welcome OD, You have gotten some great suggestions, but I think one thing that might help clarify what everyone is saying is, when suggesting looking at all brands that might come up for sale. Rather than narrowing your search for just 3 brands, because,

The brands you have chosen are somewhat less available than other brands out there. In the several years I have been around Glass, I have seen very few Havasu's come up for sale (maybe 1 or 2) Compact Jr's are certainly more available and Beachcombers are a little like Havasu's. You don't see them come up for sale all that often. Though I have seen more Beachcombers for sale than Havasu's.

But I certainly wouldn't pin my retirement dreams on finding only those 3 types of trailers. And because they are less available you will find fewer opinions about them. Many of us have never seen them in person (only drool over them when a lucky owner post a pic or two). It's not that you won't find one of your perfect "3" but most likely won't be in road worth condition if and when you do, unless you get extremely LUCKY!

As for fulltiming without a bathroom, is it really the way you want to go? I realize that you didn't ask for an opinion on bathrooms, but! Cold nights even in Oregon finding the outhouse doesn't sound like fun to me. Certainly just my opinion, but having been an rv-er most of my life I truly can't see how you could "full time" without your own facility.
Retirement is suppose to be enjoyable and comfortable. Of course it's about what makes you comfortable. I don't want to tell you how to prepare for your retirement, but would suggest expanding your search field. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with any "glass" trailer unless it isn't the right trailer. But the glass world does have options that will work great for a single rv-er fulltiming. Best of Luck!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #14

Alaska
well what i wanted was people to share opinions not help me buy. im not retiring im about 23 and love camping. those are not the only three campers i want i have a compact jr. slae pending righr now. i love the cold so thats why i want oregon. this is a thread for people to share opinions with one another.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:27 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObnoxiousDonkey View Post
well what i wanted was people to share opinions not help me buy.
You have to excuse us, we tend to be helpful. At times perhaps toooooooo helpful! But I think you will find plenty of opinions here on the forum. I think maybe your wording sent us into help mode. Because frankly as I said in my post, the 3 you mentioned are rare-er to find. I think a post with only those 3 options would most likely get peoples hopes up of finding one of the 3. That is why I think most are trying to give other suggestions. I know from experience, I set my goal for a Havasu as well as a few other rare-er brands and wasted a **** load of time keeping my search limited. I know for my response to your question was to try and help you not waste the time I did.

Quote:
im not retiring im about 23 and love camping.
Sorry, don't no where I got that! Camping or fulltiming?

i have a compact jr. slae pending righr now.

Terrific! Hope your sale goes through..........

Good luck with your searches!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:37 AM   #16

Alaska
how would i delete a thread? i tried the swiping but it doesnt work
Old 02-06-2011, 04:37 AM   #17

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
well what i was going for on this thread was for anyone to red others' opinions, i am doing reasearch but this thread is nit just for me. i wanted all the people as well as i to know others' opinions. not for my benefit. i said that in the last line if my last post
Well I would ask you again......what else is this site about?
This is what the site does,share every ones opinions and experience with the different brands and models.

I guess I do not understand your question really?
To me it seems like this entire site IS the answer to your question!

Also there is no reason to delete this thread that I see.

Ed
Old 02-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
how would i delete a thread? i tried the swiping but it doesnt work
Only Administrators and Moderators can delete threads on this website.
Members are limited to the 1st 24 hours to edit their own posts, then that feature expires. After that, Administrators and Moderators only retain that ability.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Asking about different FG egg brands is a bit like asking us to make recommendations between vanilla, french vanilla, and homestyle vanilla. All are delicious to anyone who likes vanilla ice cream.

The best thing for anyone is to find a floor layout that works for them, within the weight limits of their tow vehicle of course. If you don't need a bathroom, that opens up a wide range of little eggs to choose from.

If you buy one and later realize there's something else you would rather have, it's pretty easy usually to sell yours and get a different one. They hold their values well.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #20

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Asking about different FG egg brands is a bit like asking us to make recommendations between vanilla, french vanilla, and homestyle vanilla. All are delicious to anyone who likes vanilla ice cream..
I totally agree. But I strongly advocate the French Vanilla. All things being equal, (or not).

Like stray dogs, used fiberglass RVs tend to find their owners. It's a question of what's available and what falls in your lap. I think some considerations you might have, Jack, would be related to your intended use, given your location there in AK. Would you you wanting a camper you can use only during the late spring and summertime or does it need to be insulated against that fierce cold? How much customization are you prepared to do? What's your budget? Does the trailer have to be towable by your existing TV? How far will you be willing to drive to get it?

I haven't scratched the surface here, but I am sure you get the idea.

Regards,

Matt