Sharing joy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2015, 06:12 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sharing joy

On our trip home we stopped at my niece's home for 3 days, she has a teen boy and girl, extremely nice children and maybe the best parents I have ever met. We always stop coming and going, a nice part of RVing. (We stay in our trailer though they have a rather nice room for us in the house.) This time we spent 3 days so we could catch a baseball game and a gymnastics class of the kids.

While there the young girl was excitedly reading The Lightening Thief. I picked it up and was immediately grabbed by the story, the first of a series of five. Seeing her reading pleasure., I ordered the entire set as a surprise gift from Amazon. It arrived yesterday.

When I picked up my phone I found absolutely the most joyous message of thanks I have ever heard, beyond anything I could imagine. It warms my heart so much over the last two days I have listened to it a half dozen times. The absolute elation is something to behold.

Thank you is really under utilized, excited thank yous even more. Any day I feel a little low I will listen to the sounds of supreme joy and thank you.

Even God smiles when I play it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #2

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
You're right Norm. Sincere, especially excited and/or spontaneous expressions of thanks brighten one's day whenever heard & are usually welcomed/appreciated by the recipient even more than a more formal iteration... Thanks for that story.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
That certainly beats giving a gift and never hearing a peep from the recipient! Those kids were raised right.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:38 AM   #4

Florida
Correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
That certainly beats giving a gift and never hearing a peep from the recipient! Those kids were raised right.
My niece and her family are our most regular guests at our home in NH. For me it is what makes selling our home so difficult.

Their parenting success just amazes me and at the same time makes me consider how much better we could have done with our own children, not that our kids are bad, but rather that they could be better. Isn't life about maximizing what can be? Making good choices?

I have an audio recording of her expression of thanks and verbal joy and we have played it at least twice a day. It lifts my heart.

Jokingly I told Ginny that our grand niece's response was the sound of joy I always sought from a woman. Really though now that I've heard it my whole expectation has been lifted.

In life, a lot of the time you don't risk failure and hang back from accomplishing some task. However just once you take the risk, maybe in a private moment, and succeed. A new level has been achieved, new possibilities open.

When we decided to stop working, buy an RV and hit the road, it was a little scary...wondering about spending cash, medical insurance, ..... but after the fact it was the right choice for us in every way. There were many naysayers. both verbal and non-verbal, most have recanted.

Young Katelyn's joy has forever raised my expectations, her joy rings within me. Everyone I meet will benefit from it in a small way.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-03-2015, 05:03 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
great story Norm, as usual....
Old 05-03-2015, 05:26 AM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I like to believe that my wife and I raised our boys right. Two examples: when my wife passed away, my elder son who lives about 40 miles away came up every weekend to stay with me and do the cooking. I hope he got some therapeutic value from it also. Just over a year ago I was in Nevada, fell and broke my arm so badly that surgery was necessary. My younger son from Indianapolis flew out and drove my trailer and me home with him. He insisted that I stay with his family and begin therapy on my arm. After three weeks of that I was able to drive the last 300 miles home. I'm beyond proud of my boys and not just for those two reasons. Upbringing always (usually?) shows for good or bad.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:09 AM   #7

Florida
Fortunate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
great story Norm, as usual....
We are all fortunate, often more than we know.

What I love about our travels is the new vistas and new people. Though I traveled a lot in my many jobs and had the occasion to stand on the rim of Niagara Falls or meet thousands of people, it all was with the pressure of business or life haunting in the background, a rushed pace to it all.

When the truly fresh and new strikes, something happens that almost can not be explained. RVing has been fresh and new for us, for 15 years now. I think part of it is our pace. We just rushed back from Florida in 17 days, averaging less than 100 miles a day, a post retirement speed record for us. (Pre-retirement we've done it in 2 days and still have RV friends who have done in in 2 days.)

There's now a quiet enjoyment in our lives. One of Ginny's sister's favorite line deals with "taking time to smell the roses". It turns out that their all types of roses, like the smell of a redwood forest, searching for fossils on an Oregon beach.

A marvelous feature of the brain is the ability to multi-task but when you have many tasks running you miss things, you see the trees but miss their smell.

One day Ginny and I were sitting on a log at an Oregon beach after a beach walk. A woman came up to us and says I'd like to give you something. It was a shell fossil encapsulated in stone. After thanking her I said where did you get the fossil. She said on the beach. She left and I immediately began walking the beach with new eyes and higher expectations. We (and our nephews and nieces) now have shell fossils in our homes.

Every where you look there is wonder if you wonder....

(I wrote this and 'wondered why', I guess the thought of raised expectations, thoughts of the possible are with me this morning. We're working to sell and our little Scamp sits patiently waiting to take us on a new adventure, good buddy that it is.)

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16