Shopping: Can you Help Narrow My Search? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #21

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Here's a pictoral on mine if it will help:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ozy-57638.html

And some data:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...mpg-57619.html
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #22

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Most "eggs" in smaller sizes are the same width: 80" (2.6 m, 6'8") outside. This is the widest that a trailer is allowed to be in North America without requiring wide vehicle identification and clearance lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I think he meant the lighting requirements for over 80 inches:

Trailer Poster Table for Website
"A picture is worth 1,000 words." Brian was referring to item #7 (vehicle identification lights) and item #6 (clearance lights) on the poster. Up to 80" wide you don't need them, and over 80" wide they're required. I'm always amused to see a little 13' Minit all decked out with unnecessary lights.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #23

NE Oklahoma
Truck decked out in festive lights gets owner a ticket for Christmas [w/video]
Old 04-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #24

NE Oklahoma
This is a site I spent hours, days, weeks on looking at different makes and models.
There are links to the FG's at the bottom. When I found this forum my search escalated and narrowed to the eggs and then a serious evaluation of "my" needs and wants narrowed it down further. Oh, yeah, the pocket book matter makes you focus. lol.

Guide To Ultra-Lightweight Travel Trailers
Old 04-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Richard, go back to the home page and click on each brand name. Most will take you to links and pictures. It's important that you educate yourself on the different brands. It would be sad indeed if you passed up on the perfect [insert brand] because you didn't know it was all molded and in your neighborhood for sale at a great price
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #26

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Unfortunately, Richards search is gonna be limited to what's being sold within the parameters he's willing to travel. Kansas, isn't the glass mecca of the world, but they do come up for sale there. I remember looking through the manufactures/brands when I first found fiberglassrv, set my sights on a Willerby. Well as most of you know, finding a Willerby would take a act from the, Travel Trailer Gods themself , most likely isn't gonna happen .

Still want one! But the reason I bring this up is, I spent so much time searching for brands that will most likely never be found. Of course it's wonderful to dream........ But, it really all comes down to what pops up for sale!

Richard,
If I remember correctly in another post you mentioned you guys would like a bath? Correct? With your tow capacity restrictions that might not work. But there are ways around it with porta-potties, solar showers etc. As I said it will be more about what comes up for sale rather than you picking a particular brand and searching for only that.

I would advise weighing anything your considering purchasing. It's so worth the $10/$15 dollars.

And though A/C adds weight, knowing what I know about Ks. I would say, suck up the weight and get a trailer with A/C ,
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I didn't mean he should look specificially for something he saw and liked, but to remember the names and what they looked like... you NEVER know when something may come up. Knowledge is power!

And, wouldn't it be sad if a Willerby came up and Richard passed it by because he didn't know what it was
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #28

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I didn't mean he should look specificially for something he saw and liked, but to remember the names and what they looked like... you NEVER know when something may come up. Knowledge is power!

I did! Boy do I know how to pick the, rare, etc ones to look for!

I didn't mean for you to think I was telling him, you and others didn't advise him correctly...... I totally agree with you Donna, knowing brands is a good thing! But just wanted to throw out the warning that not everything made comes up for sale. Sorry for the misunderstanding!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #29

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Yes, as Frederick explained, my width reference was explicitly to the lighting requirement. 80" is a popular width because it is as wide as the manufacturer can go without incurring the cost of those extra lights and wiring. Most trailers are wider, including many moulded fiberglass trailers, including mine. The lights are not important - they're just a reason for the remarkable consistency in width. It would be very surprising to find a small trailer any wider than 80".

I also had a typo (now fixed) in my earlier post: the 80" or 6'8" width is 2.0 m. The 2.6 metre (102") value which I originally listed is the maximum width for a normal trailer - yes, that's considerably more than 8 feet. Eight feet (96") was the normal width of a large RV for years, but now "wide body" means the maximum width or very close (101" to 102").
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #30

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think the lighting means roof line lighting, because all new, modern trailers have sideline marker lights.
Not that it matters to the subject of this thread, but the width marking lights do not need to be at the roofline. Since big trailers are usually both so wide that they need width markers and so tall that they need height clearance marking lights, they cover both by putting them on the top corners of the front and back. Yes, side markers are unrelated.

Even further off-topic... the Ford F-150 Raptor has such wide tires and track width that its fenders exceed the width threshold, so it has the 3-light I'd set - in the middle of the grille -and clearance lights in the fenders. Not the roof, because its not tall enough to need that.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #31

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
For us, in a sparsely populated parrt of the continent we found that our choice of trailer was pretty much 'what was available'! We had some hopes - like being in good condition - in our price range - we wanted a three way fridge and a propane heater. After that it was keep looking, asking around and waiting. Hubby wasn't too keen on getting a trailer he couldn't stand upright in. The first time round we got a Ventura and the second time a Trillium.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote