Short wave & single side band radio - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2009, 06:38 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2008 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I don't know much about short wave or single side band radio aside from a little research I've been doing. I was wondering if a radio receiver of this type would prove beneficial in any way while traveling? Perhaps if for nothing else than as cheap entertainment or occupying time during bad weather, etc. Anyway, I'm continuing the research with this inquiry. I've been told that tuning stations and understanding the origins of various broadcasts can get quite complicated and overwhelming. Don't want to just end up stressing myself out if there is no particular benefit.

Thanks to any who may be able to expand upon this topic.
Bruce B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The CB part of the 2 way radio is good when there is a tieup oon the road. You tune to ch 19 and ask what the problem is and a trucker will tell U what the problem is.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Are you looking for two way communication or news/entertainment?
If you want communication the cell phone is the simplest. For passing
the time being entertained a shortwave radio is fun but good ones can
be expensive and a proper antenna is always a problem on a trailer.
Have you considered an XM or Sirius satellite radio receiver? There is
plenty of programming to choose from, they are simple to use, and work
anywhere. You can also use it at home. I have had one for years and
enjoy it very much. Hope this helps..... Larry
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #4

I was looking at the receiver type radio (Sangean ATS 505P) for listening/monitoring information, news, etc. I didn't know if this type of radio was too complicated for a novice and if the field of short wave and single side band was a concentrated world of it's own (more specialized than casual listener). It would be used primarily for entertainment and/or keeping up with news and stuff and mainly during those long sleepless nights or when bad weather threatens cabin fever.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 73 Boler (modified)
i've never played with shortwave, or ssb, but i tell you i never leave home without my sirius satellite radio. It does the trick entertaining, with news, sports, music, talk, anything. major stations, like cbc in canada, bbc, nbc, npr, etc.

nothing like a good raunchy howard stern show to get you through a thunderstorm....
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have a CB Radio in my truck and I have a portable short wave/am/fm Radio for out of way areas. I like them both.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #7

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Hello again, Bruce. The Sangean 505 if an OK radio... But, in this price range my favorite is the Sony ICF-SW7600GR. It has the advantage of 'synchronous detection' which can really help on short wave reception. I got a great second hand on on Ebay for $94 delivered... like new. A similar Sony receiver is the ICF-SW7600G... It is the predecessor to the GR model with similar performance but fewer memories. I work as a Merchant Marine Radio Officer and always recommend the Sony for its portability and suitability for shipboard use hooked up to the ship entertainment system antenna network. To see interesting reviews of these little receivers see:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/8
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1534 (sony)
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1070 (sangean)

Good luck. Short wave listening is great fun and can be addicting. Larry
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #8

Thanks for all the input guys. I learned some more stuff from the reviews. Really appreciate the help.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler
Once you get your receiver and get going, a copy of the magazine
"Monitoring Times" is handy to have. It has tables of broadcasts, with broadcasters, times, frequencies, etc. It helps cut down on the aimless wandering through frequencies that you might do otherwise.
jamesbandersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Once you get your receiver and get going, a copy of the magazine
"Monitoring Times" is handy to have. It has tables of broadcasts, with broadcasters, times, frequencies, etc. It helps cut down on the aimless wandering through frequencies that you might do otherwise.

I went to their website. Without something like this I would be so lost.
Thanks!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
This is a hobby type thing, and like most hobbies, it's possible to plumb the outer reaches of sensibility in participation. So hard to tell going in where you'll come out.

After years of buying cheap tools and then having to rebuy better tools, I've come to the point where I try to buy better quality stuff going in. If I lose interest, it has some resale value. If I buy cheap I might have lost interest all together because of poor performance and never gone on.

I like this as a camping hobby. I used to travel with a Grundig Satellit 800. Generally thought of as a pretty good quality unit but what a space hog. No longer made but probably still available new. I now travel with an Eton E1. A bit pricey (I may not be at the outer fringe but I can certainly see it from where I am!). Prices have come down in recent years. I have a variety of antenna options I use depending on my length of stay.

I have a Grundig Yachtboy(!) 400 that I usually bring to the boat when staying overnight. It, too, seems to have been discontinued. Too bad, I think this is a pretty good radio for it's price.

For reference I buy the Passport every other year or so. A nice book organized a couple different ways to help you to both find something to listen to or identify what station you've happened upon.
Passport To World Band Radio

I've spent some money at Universal Radio and have had good service to date.
Universal Radio
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Another angle on this is listening to Amateur Radio bands while camping.
I of course am biased as I am an active HAM operator but nontheless there is some interesting listening to be had for sure.

During bad weather there are trained weather spotters on the ham bands reporting in real time and these can be of clear and obvious use to everyone especially while in a lightweight trailer!

There are also international and nationwide and local contacts and conversations to follow and with little preparation really to take part in.

Just one more thing to consider.

Ed
KC0UKR
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #13

Boy, you guys are great. Who knew there was so much interest in shortwave and single side band. I'm totally new to this stuff and really appreciate all of your replies.