Should I buy this Trillium? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #15

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Naomi, Buy it!!
We paid $6000 for ours and have since put in over $2000. (we had unpleasant surprises). See what a good deal you are getting. Nothing is hidden, you know what you are getting into. Can't remember where you are in BC, but if you do not want it, please let me know as there are a couple guys on the Island who are looking for such a deal as a project.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Umm..... Wow, I can't beleive that I am going to be the voice of sober second thought. Not a role I am used to.

That is a very good price, but not an insignificant amount of money. The only time I have seen a gaucho with hatches like that, the trailer had a bad problem with the front curb side sagging. This was most obvious when someone stood on the tongue and sighted down the flat part of the roof on the curb side. The closet was clearly a high point. Another way to check for this is to take a straight edge, (a 4 foot long 2x4 would work) lay it on the floor, from in front of the fridge to the trailer door. this would show if the floor is flat, (good) or droops toward the door, (bad).

That said, it is not likely that you would loose money on this. I would pay $100 for the furnace, if it works. The windows are worth about $100 each. The rock guard would be worth about $200. The door, fridge, frame, ..... you get the idea. But do you want to be in the parts business?

Old 06-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #17

Name: Naomi
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I'm all about the voice of reason too David! I definitely do not want to go into the parts business, i want to make this little guy beautiful inside and out. Thank you for letting me know about the curb side sagging, I will check that out!
Old 06-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #18

British Columbia
Well I bought it yesterday!

I drove down the guy's driveway and I didn't see it in the garage - panic set in! I thought ohhhh no I'm too late. Someone else found it and made it theirs. Then I got a little closer and noticed it was just parked around by the other garage. WHEW! I knew for sure with that reaction that it had to be mine. I was attached.

I got it for $600. I towed it to my parents house and it actually towed really well. The trim that was partially removed had to be tied together. He gave me some laminate flooring for it but I don't want it. And threw in some foam too but that went straight to the garbage.

One thing he didn't give me was a key to the door. I called him later to see if he had one and it doesn't sounds like he does. So I don't know if I can just get a locksmith guy to replace the cylinder in the lock or what. Lots to figure out!
We definitely don't want the heater in it so will start by taking that and the fridge out. They both look in rather rough shape. I think once we have those bits out we will be taking it off the frame to check the frame out and either clean it up or price out a new aluminum one.

Excited to make this little guy amazing!
Old 06-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #19

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Thats wonderful that you got it, now we need more pics!

I would say pause before taking anything out. If you end up deciding to sell it at some point many people are looking for a trailer with a furnace and fridge. Maybe start by plugging the fridge in (make sure the trailer is level) and see what happens. Things can be cleaned up pretty good,and the front panel on the fridge can be changed out.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #20

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
I agree on the frig
Plug it in overnite these take awhile to cool down... If it has a freezer (put a small cup of water in it and see if it freezes)
If it does then you will at least know it works .... If it is a 3 way frig make sure it is set on 110 v.... A frig can be fairly expensive so I would wait on pulling it out immediately
Just my 2 cents worth
Then make it safe repack bearings/ tires and go camping

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-15-2015, 12:11 PM   #21

Name: chris
Trailer: 1976 13' trillium
British Columbia
Congratulations. I don't know where in BC you are but we are in Langley and completely gutted a '76 trillium and then refinished it. If you are interested you can see some pictures under my profile. Feel free to ask questions.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #22

British Columbia
Thanks Chris, I'm in Comox on Vancouver Island.
Checked out Kermit, wow what a nice job you did! I couldn't tell from the photos, did you replace the vinyl on the inside? If so, with what? Mine is a horrible lime green and I want it gone. Was wondering what folks use to replace it that has a bit of insulating factor as well.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #23

British Columbia
Any of you guys removed the belly band? Is it ok to just use bondo to fill in the gap?
Old 06-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #24

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Naomi, The vinyl on the inside is about the best liner for your trailer. If it is green, it has either been painted by a previous owner, or needs lots of bleach and a good scrub. To replace it is a very big, and expensive job.

The belly band can just be filled with bondo. That will likely be fine, but I took a different route:
My Second Belly Band Thread

Tags
trillium