Should I Fix the GTO to tow a Scamp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Posts: 118
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
I don't know if I would tow with a convertible tho, is there not too much body flex. I remember sitting in the back seat of a Mercury Cougar convertible a long time ago and watching the door gap open and close every time we went over a bump.
The cougar has a uni body construction my GTO has a full separte steel frame that is lot more ridged and stronger. Infact the frame on this car is even wider and stronger than a standard hard top. Were talking Detroit AMERICAN MADE STEEL ! If I had a Cougar there is no way I would even think about towing anything.

Ok so who eles is going to tell me this wont work? The GTO has sat a long time and I am trying to get motivated to put it back on the road and buying a Scamp trailer. You guys today are not helping!

So anybody eles going to get out their 12 gauge pump and blast away at my idea and tell me it wont work? I get a bunch of positive reponses yesterday and to day everybody has the handle ready to flush my dreams down the drain. Did everybody get off the wrong side of the bed today?
__________________

__________________
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
If I had a 1965 GTO convertible in good condition I'd sell it, take the cash, buy a used tow vehicle and used fiberglass trailer and travel for a year around America.

I would be shocked if an approaching 4000 lb GTO with it's huge engine couldn't tow a 13-16 foot fiberglass trailer with ease, just don't drive like you're racing. If it doesn't tow well, you can easily sell a GTO in good condition, actually the market for those in poor condition isn't bad either.

1965 GTO Specifications - UltimateGTO.com
I have a 3/4 ton pickup already and very nice Nomad 22 foot trailer. Don't need to sell the GTO. I would never sell it. I have had it since I was 22 and brought it up from a rolling shell to what it was back in the day. I am ashamed to see it now. But I think you are correct about towing one of these trailers but I am not sure becasue I am used to towing a standard travel trailer. I know nothing about these fiberglass trailers that is why I wanted to get on here and ask for your wisdom on this because I just don't know? I think I would prefer the 16 foot its along 3 foot longer and cant weigh that much more? I just dont know? thit is where I need you guys. This is somthing way out of my comfort range.
__________________

__________________
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
If I had a nice GTO or any other classic car I would not take it on the beach. Too many chances to get stuck in the loose sand. Get stuck, and the tide comes in, and watch the ocean take your car.

The beach entrance in the town of Longbeach is improved and maintained. The others are just sand. OK for 4 wheel drive but not so good for cars.

Every year the Beach Barons car club host the "End of the World Rod Run". Lots of classic cars. It's a wonderful event held the weekend after Labor Day. I've enjoyed it many times.
Well I thought about this so many times and the old saying hey you only live once!

I read an article this year in the AARP mag and this article talked about getting out of your rutt and doing somthing different. A man took his kids and family to a third world country and volunteered for 3 months. He and his family had a blast! They loved it!

The article also had a few paragraphs about a Doctor that had been with some patents in their last 15 to 20 minutes of life and every one of those paitents said the same thing. Do you know what they said and had?

Regrets Regrets for not taking that trip regrets for not doing some things that they had planned and never did. But by then it was too late they only had moments to live.

I am in such a huge rutt right now. I am in a town that has a lot of jerks and its not a very freindly town . I would like to get out of this rut and if it means takig my GTO out on the beach with the top down hey why the hell not ? I got AAA!

Ben Franklin said it best. If you say if you can or can't your right!
__________________
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Suitability and Safety of Tow Vehicles are popular topics hereabouts and one can always be certain to get some critical comments.

I really doubt if there are many hereabouts qualified to comment on the suitability and safety of towing with an almost 50 y.o. vehicle, especially one admitted to have been neglected for some time. I'd almost bet you would get better answers about towing anything on a GTO oriented site, as I am sure someone would be there who has done just that.

If it's about specific trailers, we are a wealth of knowledge, but 50 y.o. tow vehicles, especially those less often seen, are a different story.

BTW: Towing a 17' FGRV would be a lot easier than towing that Nomad you mentioned for several reasons including weight, frontal area, and shape.
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #19
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV NUT CASE View Post
I know nothing about these fiberglass trailers that is why I wanted to get on here and ask for your wisdom on this because I just don't know? I think I would prefer the 16 foot its along 3 foot longer and cant weigh that much more? I just dont know? thit is where I need you guys. This is somthing way out of my comfort range.
Opinions are one thing, a few facts help you make up your own mind. This is why I weighed people's trailers at rallys to build up a database of what these things actually weigh loaded for use:
Trailer Weights in the Real World

According to the link, the lightest 13' Scamp weighed 1,620 pounds, and the heaviest 13' Scamp weighed 1,950 pounds.

The lightest 16' Scamp weighed 2,520 pounds, and the heaviest 16' Scamp weighed 2,800 pounds.

Does anything listed on that spreadsheet fall within your comfort range?
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
And.... does anyone on the planet know what the safe tow rating limit might be for a 1964 GTO in 2013?????
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Maximizing Fun

Roger,

I've been fortunate to have two early death events in my life, both of which I wish I could have prevented, but both triggered dramatic changes in my life.

Both events let me know life was short and to enjoy every moment.

My Dad died the day before my first son was born; I was 24. After that I made a list of goals and things I wanted to do by 45 and accomplished all but one. I was accessively driven to achieve.

At 59 my college roommate died, I was at the height of my career. I immediately stopped working and for some reason locked on to RVs, something we had never done. Within 9 months we were ready and have been on the road for most of the last 13 years. I don't think any of this would have happened if John hadn't died.

In my career everytime I started to work on a problem with a fresh approach I heard how it wouldn't work. Sometimes it didn't but even those that didn't often led to even better solutions. Don't let anyone stop you from your dreams besides yourself.

My first mentor told me the purpose of life was to have fun and if you're not having fun (in a rut) do something else. Later in life an older friend told me that as you age you should do more of what "you" like. Go for it.

Wishing you success in dream realization
__________________
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Suitability and Safety of Tow Vehicles are popular topics hereabouts and one can always be certain to get some critical comments.

I really doubt if there are many hereabouts qualified to comment on the suitability and safety of towing with an almost 50 y.o. vehicle, especially one admitted to have been neglected for some time. I'd almost bet you would get better answers about towing anything on a GTO oriented site, as I am sure someone would be there who has done just that.

If it's about specific trailers, we are a wealth of knowledge, but 50 y.o. tow vehicles, especially those less often seen, are a different story.

BTW: Towing a 17' FGRV would be a lot easier than towing that Nomad you mentioned for several reasons including weight, frontal area, and shape.
I did not say a thing about towing the Nomad with the GTO. The GTO is an F body its a mid size car. The Nomad would be too heavy wouldnt even think of it. I am a certified Auto Technician I know this car inside and out. This car would be brought back to 150% before I would even think about a trip like this. The reason I got on this website was to get your guys advice about these Scamps. I know the limits of my car. But I don't know about Scamps. If a mini van can pull one of these I would hope a car pulling close to 400 hp would pull one? Again I need your expertise on the Scamps. I just don't know?
__________________
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Roger,

I've been fortunate to have two early death events in my life, both of which I wish I could have prevented, but both triggered dramatic changes in my life.

Both events let me know life was short and to enjoy every moment.

My Dad died the day before my first son was born; I was 24. After that I made a list of goals and things I wanted to do by 45 and accomplished all but one. I was accessively driven to achieve.

At 59 my college roommate died, I was at the height of my career. I immediately stopped working and for some reason locked on to RVs, something we had never done. Within 9 months we were ready and have been on the road for most of the last 13 years. I don't think any of this would have happened if John hadn't died.

In my career everytime I started to work on a problem with a fresh approach I heard how it wouldn't work. Sometimes it didn't but even those that didn't often led to even better solutions. Don't let anyone stop you from your dreams besides yourself.

My first mentor told me the purpose of life was to have fun and if you're not having fun (in a rut) do something else. Later in life an older friend told me that as you age you should do more of what "you" like. Go for it.

Wishing you success in dream realization
THANK YOU I NEEDED YOUR ADVICE AND YOUR WISDOM! That one came from the heart . You just made my whole morning
__________________
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Roger. I just read this on one of Lisa's post and was appropriate.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

I'm familar with towing a Scamp 16 and would be glad to answer any questions about our Scamp and experiences.

I tow with a unibody, manual transmission, 180 hp, 162 ft-lbs torque 2004 Honda CRV. We have towed all over North America without any issues.

The Scamp 13 and the Scamp 16 both have the same frontal area and in that sense, an important one, they are similar to tow. The Scamp 16 and 13 (our son has one) both tow beautifully.

Our Scamp is now 22 years old and our son's 36 years old. If maintained, repaired, upgraded it seems, like your GTO, Scamps can last a lifetime or longer.
__________________
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Opinions are one thing, a few facts help you make up your own mind. This is why I weighed people's trailers at rallys to build up a database of what these things actually weigh loaded for use:
Trailer Weights in the Real World

According to the link, the lightest 13' Scamp weighed 1,620 pounds, and the heaviest 13' Scamp weighed 1,950 pounds.

The lightest 16' Scamp weighed 2,520 pounds, and the heaviest 16' Scamp weighed 2,800 pounds.

Does anything listed on that spreadsheet fall within your comfort range?
This is what I need to find out? This is where I need you guys. I do know I will have a custom receiver made to bolt onto the frame. Because of the value of the car I dont want anything welding. I would also reto fit a tandum master cylinder and also put in a brake controler I don;t think anybody is going to notice two holes drilled underneth the dash wherre the controler went . Doesnt matter its my damn car anway LOL!
I am in just the thinking stages here guys. I don't even own one of these trailers and the Goat is a long ways from back on the street.
__________________
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Roger,

We have a bolted on frame. I check the bolts every now and then, like during a 1000 mile dirt road ride. It has worked just fine.
__________________
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
luvrOlife's Avatar
 
Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Posts: 168
Registry
Go for it!!!

Roger,

Do you have any idea how cool it will feel to be driving your GOAT with the wind in your hair along the Oregon Coast and dropping your new Scamp so you can run into the Ocean and feel that blast of Cold Pacific Water on your feet as the Sun shines on that smiling face of yours?!!!

Which is exactly why you should do what you dream...

You don't know it yet, and you won't, until you put in place all the pieces to make your dream come true. You've got the GTO, you need a Scamp and you've got a lot of heart. Of course, you can do this!

I say GO FOR IT....This Life is what you make it...if this is what your heart is telling you, listen to it before it kills you from dying a slow, miserably unhappy death. It's good to be nuts...it means you still have dreams. You just need to put your left brain to use on the details and let your right brain do the leading.

Sending good juju your way so that you'll listen to your heart and let it sing!
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Vanessa
....no matter where you go, there you are!
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #28
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation Fair Warning from a Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV NUT CASE View Post
The reason I got on this website was to get your guys advice about these Scamps. I know the limits of my car. But I don't know about Scamps. If a mini van can pull one of these I would hope a car pulling close to 400 hp would pull one? Again I need your expertise on the Scamps. I just don't know?
There have been raging debates on this website about towing a trailer (any trailer) with a car (any car) and what can be accomplished safely and economically, and what activity will put you (and anyone on the road near you) upside down scattered across the roadway with the Ambulance Chasing Lawyers straining at their leashes.

To me “Towing Safety” is not about a (black/white) (yes/no) answer to, “Is it safe?”
Life does not work like that. There are multiple variables to the equation:
  • Is the Tow Vehicle in optimal condition?
  • What is the cut-off line between what the tow vehicle can and cannot tow and how is that determined? How safe is “Safe”? Are there any specific guidelines that state the safety parameters for your specific Tow Vehicle and Trailer combination? (Is there a “Towing Capacity” statement in the Tow Vehicle’s Owner’s Manual?)
  • How experienced (or inexperienced) is the driver in performing the towing?
  • Can the Tow Vehicle’s engine pull the trailer load weight without causing undue damage to itself? (Most people initially think of just this one thing.)
  • Can the Tow Vehicle’s braking system bring the combined rig to a stop in a straight line within a short distance? (This is more important than the previous question!)
  • Can the Tow Vehicle’s structure (frame, bolts, welds) survive the stress of the added weight load in both starting and stopping the whole rig without breaking itself apart?
To most experienced trailer towers, one needs to start by looking for two numbers:
  1. The towing capacity limit usually found in the specific Tow Vehicle candidate’s Owner’s Manual.
  2. A Certified Weight ticket for the fully loaded specific Trailer candidate.
If the weight value for #2 is less than the weight value for #1, then most members here will welcome you open armed. If the weight value for #2 is greater than #1, then SOME members here will doggedly try to teach you the error of your ways. OTHER members will be of the opinion that you’re an Adult, and you should be capable of doing this. Then your thread will devolve into an argument between these two factions, and I as a Moderator will have to step in and shut the discussion down.
__________________

__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suger's Scamp Fix-Up sugermc Modifications, Alterations and Updates 28 10-04-2015 07:01 PM
Scamp Bunk Fix ? Tim Wood Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 02-07-2012 07:38 AM
How to fix a scamp door Mary Ann in MN Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 9 05-07-2011 07:06 AM
Scamp 19 anyone modified to tow behind an SUV? Wayne Hill Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 23 04-13-2011 09:47 AM
Scamp door fix questions (recurve) LanM Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 08-01-2010 12:58 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.