Should I Fix the GTO to tow a Scamp? - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #85
Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Roger, I would go with the 16 partially because 16s always have trailer brakes and 13s often don't have trailer brakes. As a result the trailer braking load on the gto approaches zero. As well trailer brakes can be helpful in an emergency.
Yes I am 100% on only a 16 foot a 13 is just not going to have the equipment I would like to have. You have me sold thanks

RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #86
Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Thanks. I saw leaf springs under older GM drive cars - Camaros, and I'm pretty sure our 1971 full-size wagon (although I now realize the sedan would have had coils) - so I didn't realize that most of them had long been coil sprung... I've had the wrong impression for many years. Our Cutlass had coils, but that was 1979. This has been an educational discussion!

Although four-links with angled upper arms are not the best for axle control (ask early Fox-chassis Mustang owners about wheel hop), they must be better than leaf springs, and with good bushings they should work well to manage an attached trailer. If there's nothing in the rear coils (such as a concentric shock) air bags such as Firestone Coil-Rite or Airlift 1000 can be easily added to adjust for trailer tongue weight... a nice feature.
I have some Air Shocks on there now. They are old and need replaced but would think that just a new pair of air shocks should do the trick. I am glad everybody is enjoying my blog. Nice to see some trailer freaks and Gear Heads too!

RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote