Should I Fix the GTO to tow a Scamp? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #81

Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Not that this is at all helpful, but I'll note that one of the two earliest family cars I remember was a 1965 Buick Skylark V8, the same model family as most GTOs. I do have a bit of sentimental attachment to those cars. A neighbour still has two in show condition... perhaps I'll ask him if he has ever towed with them.
This is very helpfull the skylarks have the same frame and suspension. They are idenitcal.
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #82

Nevada
Quote:
Roger, did you mean A-body? The F-body was the Camaro and Firebird (up to 2002).

I had assumed that these cars had leaf-spring rear suspension, but I noticed various web page references to a coil-spring four-link for the A-body all the way back in 1964: can I assume a four-link is under the GTO?
I stand corrected I beleive you are correct. Damn its been so long since I have been under the car I forgot. I do remember four link and coil springs. When you don't work on these for a long time you forget. I feel like a dummy now.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #83

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Roger, I would go with the 16 partially because 16s always have trailer brakes and 13s often don't have trailer brakes. As a result the trailer braking load on the gto approaches zero. As well trailer brakes can be helpful in an emergency.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #84

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV NUT CASE View Post
I do remember four link and coil springs.
Thanks. I saw leaf springs under older GM drive cars - Camaros, and I'm pretty sure our 1971 full-size wagon (although I now realize the sedan would have had coils) - so I didn't realize that most of them had long been coil sprung... I've had the wrong impression for many years. Our Cutlass had coils, but that was 1979. This has been an educational discussion!

Although four-links with angled upper arms are not the best for axle control (ask early Fox-chassis Mustang owners about wheel hop), they must be better than leaf springs, and with good bushings they should work well to manage an attached trailer. If there's nothing in the rear coils (such as a concentric shock) air bags such as Firestone Coil-Rite or Airlift 1000 can be easily added to adjust for trailer tongue weight... a nice feature.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #85

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Roger, I would go with the 16 partially because 16s always have trailer brakes and 13s often don't have trailer brakes. As a result the trailer braking load on the gto approaches zero. As well trailer brakes can be helpful in an emergency.
Yes I am 100% on only a 16 foot a 13 is just not going to have the equipment I would like to have. You have me sold thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #86

Nevada
Quote:
Thanks. I saw leaf springs under older GM drive cars - Camaros, and I'm pretty sure our 1971 full-size wagon (although I now realize the sedan would have had coils) - so I didn't realize that most of them had long been coil sprung... I've had the wrong impression for many years. Our Cutlass had coils, but that was 1979. This has been an educational discussion!

Although four-links with angled upper arms are not the best for axle control (ask early Fox-chassis Mustang owners about wheel hop), they must be better than leaf springs, and with good bushings they should work well to manage an attached trailer. If there's nothing in the rear coils (such as a concentric shock) air bags such as Firestone Coil-Rite or Airlift 1000 can be easily added to adjust for trailer tongue weight... a nice feature.
I have some Air Shocks on there now. They are old and need replaced but would think that just a new pair of air shocks should do the trick. I am glad everybody is enjoying my blog. Nice to see some trailer freaks and Gear Heads too!

Tags
scamp