Should I Fix the GTO to tow a Scamp? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #61

Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Try putting your ad in the Reno & Las Vegas C/L's, it's just as easy as the local one, and you might have a better chance of success if you broaden your market area. They also have a heading for Barter/Trade deals.

When you put an ad in C/L there is always the possibility that other consolidator sites will repeat the ad. I have I.D. 5 other places my last FGRV ad appeared after I placed it on C/L in SoCal. And the phone kept ringing for almost a month after I killed the c/l ad.

At least in SoCal, the economy is doing a lot better and selling FGRV's is almost like an E-Ticket ride dealing with the phone calls, lookers and buyers with cash in hand until it sells.

Just last month I put my 2003 GMC (150,000 miles) Sonoma up on C/L for $5000 and have a buyer, with cash in hand, at my door in less than 8 hours.

I remember waaaaay back when we used newspapers for selling stuff..... no mo!

Yeah we have a section here on the paper called hot deals includes a picture. For 49.95 it runs for two weeks. Goes into the paper goes on line and even goes into the local free paper they come out with. They used to do pretty good but they don't anymore. So yeah I hear ya on the papers.

Vegas is over 450 miles from me I don't think anybody is going to make a 1000 mile round trip for a bike uless its a 2010 Harley Soft tail Mint! Just pulled out of the Barn! Do a buy it now for $1500.00 and get the DUST FOR FREE!
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #62
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
I'll give you $1,500 for the dust off the Goat! LOL. Dang it those are nice cars!
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #63

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I'll give you $1,500 for the dust off the Goat! LOL. Dang it those are nice cars!
Your timming could not be more perfect I have about 8 years worth of dust will take a before pic and another of me sweeping off the dust into your personal dust bag then another after your dust is all off. Hey might even dump some old oil in the bag with it and I will take out a napkin and wipe out the exhaust tips so you can smell the 20 year old spent gases that came out.

FOR 1500 I AM PULLING OUT ALL THE STOPS!

I THINK THERE MIGHT BE A MOUSE TURD OR TWO INSIDE I COULD THROW IN!

TODAYS YOUR LUCKY DAY!

SO GET OUT YOUR $1,500.00 AND SEND IT OUT TONIGHT BEFORE ONE OF THE OTHER MEMBERS JUMPS ON THIS SMOKIN DEAL!

ADD ANOTHER GRAND AND I WILL DROP THE TANK AND SEND YOU A SCOOP OF VARNISH AHHHHHHHHH THE AROMA!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #64

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
Much like what some of the cars used to tow larger travel trailer back in the day, Stinger Hitch Helper

Article on Hitch Helper
FYI:
The link to the company at the end of this 2008 article is dead.
Good!
In my not-so-humble opinion those things never should have been on the road.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #65

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
If some of these unibody econoboxes can pull one, a goat sure can.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #66

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
If some of these unibody econoboxes can pull one, a goat sure can.
I hope so! I just had a thought I bet you can find a bolt in receiver for a 65 Chevelle. The F bodys , Cutlass, Buick Skylarks, Cheveys and Pontiac all used the same frame.

If I can find a bolt in and can find a trailer for cheap I will probably jump on it. I am going to wait untill it slows down then put the bike out for trade you never know untill you try it. If not cigar then no big deal at least you guys have motivated me to get the car out of the dust bowl,
Old 09-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #67
MC1

Ontario
Because of the physics and technology modern cars can make great TV's.

Realize the GTO has the power and HD drivetrain which is important but the rest of the vehicle in almost every way is "at best marginal" when compared to modern cars. Brakes, suspension, cooling, etc, not to mention safety items as in air bags, stability control, antiloc disc brakes, etc.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #68

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:

Realize the GTO has the power and HD drivetrain which is important but the rest of the vehicle in almost every way is "at best marginal" when compared to modern cars. Brakes, suspension, cooling, etc, not to mention safety items as in air bags, stability control, antiloc disc brakes, etc.
Brakes I agree with, if it has front drums. If the suspension isn't worn out, I would be surprised if it couldn't handle a scamp. Cooling, again, only due to wear. These cars were built to be used.

Safety items…each to their own, I guess. I have nothing against air bags or antilock brakes, but I don't worry about not having them, either. As for stability control…not even going to get into my thoughts on that.

There are tow vehicles on here that I would consider far more marginal than a goat.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #69

Although no modern car has a suspension like a GTO, relatively modern pickup trucks do. I'm no fan of leaf-spring suspensions, but they can work fine for towing, especially with the new shocks which this car would have.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #70

Nevada
Quote:

I used to be an Auto Tech and anytime you have traction control , stabiltity or any of that other crap you have to have a ECM to control it. And the more Computer control componet you have the more problems or failure you going to have.

This has an American made steel seperate frame and American made sheet metal . Also the frame on this car is wider and stronger than a standard hard top. The designers knew this and incorporated it for the convertible chassie. It has positrac with a Borg Warner 4 speed. Back in the day they used to drag race with these old Borg Warner T 10s and the transmission would hold together race after race.

I think the car will tow one of these scamps. But only after carefull modifications. The brakes and suspension will all be gone through completely. A brake control will be installed and a tandum master cylinder will also be installed . If the drums are marginal they will be replaced also.

So you can keep all your traction control and computer crap I will go old school!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #71

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV NUT CASE View Post
I would prefer the 16 foot its along 3 foot longer and cant weigh that much more? I just dont know? thit is where I need you guys. This is somthing way out of my comfort range.
that 3' more will run you at a min. 1000lbs more depending which model/make 16' trailer you are after and what options it has.

Check out the thread TRAILER WEIGHTS IN THE REAL WORLD for info on what you can expect the trailers to weigh loaded for camping. Note most of the weights were done at a campground with hook ups so its not likely that many if any of the trailers had much or any water in their tanks.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #72

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If your going to do the brakes do it right.
1964-72 GTO Brake Conversion, Disc (for 14” Wheels) power (1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972) @ OPGI.com

With good brakes the car will be fun to drive again and you wont have to scoop up that $1500 dust ever again. Why did you stop driving it because the car was scary to drive in traffic so fix the brakes. Keep your old parts for the next owner if you wish. I'm sure you can do it cheaper in the wrecking yards if you research what to look for.
As to tow or not that is up to you. If your owners manual doesnt specify the limits then its your decision. If limits are specified then its still up to you and your taking the risk should some lawyer want to use that information as evidence against you to find fault.

What ever you do fix the goat and take the drive of your dreams. When your done with your drive get some young pretty girls and have your car photographed with them and have the picture enlarged and framed so you will have something to remember when your old. Then sell the car when your ready before you ever park it again. You will always have that picture to reminiss about.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #73
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
The designers knew this and incorporated it for the convertible chassie. It has positrac with a Borg Warner 4 speed. Back in the day they used to drag race with these old Borg Warner T 10s and the transmission would hold together race after race.

I think the car will tow one of these scamps. But only after carefull modifications. The brakes and suspension will all be gone through completely. A brake control will be installed and a tandum master cylinder will also be installed . If the drums are marginal they will be replaced also.

So you can keep all your traction control and computer crap I will go old school!
I hear ya RV NUT. I have tow'd with both old school and new modern. They both work, have their differences, each to their own.

PS... Know all about the BW T10. Had a close ratio version with a Hurst Competition Plus in a 1970 AMX I once owned and raced. They are bullet proof for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
AMX 70 wayne.jpg  
Old 09-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #74

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
If your going to do the brakes do it right.
1964-72 GTO Brake Conversion, Disc (for 14” Wheels) power (1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972) @ OPGI.com

With good brakes the car will be fun to drive again and you wont have to scoop up that $1500 dust ever again. Why did you stop driving it because the car was scary to drive in traffic so fix the brakes. Keep your old parts for the next owner if you wish. I'm sure you can do it cheaper in the wrecking yards if you research what to look for.
As to tow or not that is up to you. If your owners manual doesnt specify the limits then its your decision. If limits are specified then its still up to you and your taking the risk should some lawyer want to use that information as evidence against you to find fault.

I like your thoughts on this and I couldn't agree more. Either way get the damn car back on the road. Its paid for I don't owe a dime on it. I know the car inside and out. And I know what I must do.

Beleive it or not this is not Bull sh## I bought the car for a !100.00 back in the late 70s no engine just a trans and the top was shot and the interior still in good shape quite a return on the investment huh.

What ever you do fix the goat and take the drive of your dreams. When your done with your drive get some young pretty girls and have your car photographed with them and have the picture enlarged and framed so you will have something to remember when your old. Then sell the car when your ready before you ever park it again. You will always have that picture to reminiss about.
Thank you for you kind words of support I really do appcreciate it. Truthfully I propably wont ever sell it. I don't nor will I ever have the money to replace it. Now if sombody came up with a 70 charger RT Plumb crazy 440 hp with a counsole and a pistol grip shifter I might be sorely tempted
Old 09-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #75

Nevada
Quote:
I hear ya RV NUT. I have tow'd with both old school and new modern. They both work, have their differences, each to their own.

PS... Know all about the BW T10. Had a close ratio version with a Hurst Competition Plus in a 1970 AMX I once owned and raced. They are bullet proof for sure.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh a 70 AMX my favorite year they are so bad ass looking I love the lines! 401 or 390?? Big AMC fan I always wanted a 69 1/2 SC Scrambler Rambler those are just so bad ass!

I bet you wish you had your old car back?
Old 09-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
that 3' more will run you at a min. 1000lbs more depending which model/make 16' trailer you are after and what options it has.
That's 1000 pounds of additional trailer... and equipment, and cargo, and water, and propane. The actual difference in the trailer weights is much smaller, but people typically take advantage of the extra space to carry more equipment, more of their stuff, and more contents of larger tanks. You determine the stuff, so the difference is only the empty trailer weight difference plus what more you decide to carry. It is good to be aware of the tendency to use all available carrying capacity.

Actual empty weights of usable 13' Scamps start at 1200 pounds, while the comparable 16' Scamp is under 1800 pounds. Current versions of the two models are the same height and width, so extending the shell and interior from about 10 feet to about 13 feet should cause only less than a 30% weight increase; similarly the frame needs to be not just longer but stronger, but the tongue stays the same length, so again perhaps a 30% increase. The 16' has no larger tires, and even though the axle is the next size up (the 13' uses a Torflex #9 and the 16' a Torflex #10) that's again nowhere near a doubling of weight and even if you add brakes it's a small fraction of trailer weight. That might account for 500 pounds of extra trailer weight - the rest is stuff that you only have in the 16' if you choose to carry it.

The roughly 500 pound difference agrees with Scamp's specs for comparable equipment. If the only good deal you find on a 16' has a bunch of stuff that wouldn't be on a typical 13' - and you don't need it - then you can chuck the extra stuff and save the weight.

The longer trailer of the same height and width will have no more - and quite possibly less - aerodynamic drag, and aero drag largely determines continuous cruising power requirement and thus drivetrain (and cooling) load.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #77

Not that this is at all helpful, but I'll note that one of the two earliest family cars I remember was a 1965 Buick Skylark V8, the same model family as most GTOs. I do have a bit of sentimental attachment to those cars. A neighbour still has two in show condition... perhaps I'll ask him if he has ever towed with them.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #78

Name: jim & mary
Trailer: scamp 13 1999
Washington
Registry
Smile towing trailer with a 65 GTO

sounds like fun.would have to downsize to a 13' Scamp.I have pulled a 13' scamp for years behind my two street rods,a 1934 dodge and a 1947 ford with out any problems. pulls easy and seems to not create too much drag.

Jim Ellis
jim ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #79

Quote:
The GTO is an F body its a mid size car.
Roger, did you mean A-body? The F-body was the Camaro and Firebird (up to 2002).

I had assumed that these cars had leaf-spring rear suspension, but I noticed various web page references to a coil-spring four-link for the A-body all the way back in 1964: can I assume a four-link is under the GTO?
Old 09-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #80

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's 1000 pounds of additional trailer... and equipment, and cargo, and water, and propane. The actual difference in the trailer weights is much smaller, but people typically take advantage of the extra space to carry more equipment, more of their stuff, and more contents of larger tanks. You determine the stuff, so the difference is only the empty trailer weight difference plus what more you decide to carry. It is good to be aware of the tendency to use all available carrying capacity.

Actual empty weights of usable 13' Scamps start at 1200 pounds, while the comparable 16' Scamp is under 1800 pounds. Current versions of the two models are the same height and width, so extending the shell and interior from about 10 feet to about 13 feet should cause only less than a 30% weight increase; similarly the frame needs to be not just longer but stronger, but the tongue stays the same length, so again perhaps a 30% increase. The 16' has no larger tires, and even though the axle is the next size up (the 13' uses a Torflex #9 and the 16' a Torflex #10) that's again nowhere near a doubling of weight and even if you add brakes it's a small fraction of trailer weight. That might account for 500 pounds of extra trailer weight - the rest is stuff that you only have in the 16' if you choose to carry it.

The roughly 500 pound difference agrees with Scamp's specs for comparable equipment. If the only good deal you find on a 16' has a bunch of stuff that wouldn't be on a typical 13' - and you don't need it - then you can chuck the extra stuff and save the weight.

The longer trailer of the same height and width will have no more - and quite possibly less - aerodynamic drag, and aero drag largely determines continuous cruising power requirement and thus drivetrain (and cooling) load.
Wow that is good info! You have done your home work. I agree that a 16 foot is not that much more weight and you get a lot more convenices. I don't think its going to weigh the car down the much as long as you ugrade the suspension brakes etc. Thanks

Tags
scamp