Should I have said something? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Should I have said something?

I saw something this morning in a supermarket parking lot that gave me cause for concern. A Jeep Wrangler (short wheelbase version) was hitched up to about an 8ft single axle utility trailer. The trailer was loaded with a dozen or more pieces of 2x4 and 2x6 lumber that had to be at least 12ft long (probably more like 16ft). The lumber stuck out the back of the trailer pointing up and resting on the rear lift gate that was probably 3 or 4 ft high. The trailer tongue was already pointing up about 6" from horizontal due to the negative tongue weight. The setup was obviously an accident waiting to happen. There was no one around the vehicle otherwise I might have been more inclined to say something. Now that I've arrived home I'm a little disappointed with myself for not sticking around to say something to the driver. But then again, was it my place to say anything? What would you do under the circumstances?
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Interesting. We are almost paranoid about trailer loading, tow vehicles, ..... yet the majprity of accidents seem to be with utility trailers.

You are right to be concerned because the majority of trailer accidents seem to be utility trailers, usually without brakes and poorly loaded (or over loaded).

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
But, in all fairness, maybe the TV didn't have enough drop on the hitch and it towed that way when empty. I can't imaging the weight of the lumber actually lifting the TV that much as well.... but who knows.

I usually find that trying to talk to peeps that do this sort of thing never turns out well and then they set out to prove that they were right by doing it again and again. Their response usually sounds something like: "I'm using my own good judgment, now butt out".

Kinda like a few in our digital neighborhoods.

I did leave a note on a TV one time when I thought that it had to much tongue weight and the rear of it was about 4" lower than the front suggesting that it might have a broken spring????

If someone thought that it presented a clear and present danger, a call to 911 might be in order.

But remember..... "No good deed will go unpunished"

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Interesting. We are almost paranoid about trailer loading, tow vehicles, ..... yet the majprity of accidents seem to be with utility trailers.

You are right to be concerned because the majority of trailer accidents seem to be utility trailers, usually without brakes and poorly loaded (or over loaded).
I'd be interested to see a link to your source for that twice-told assertion. Does the methodology used include correcting for the difference in numbers of the different trailer types? And if so, where do boat/equipment and other such specialized trailers come into the mix?
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #5

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
I too had a over load of lumber on a Jeep Wrangler back in the day. The driver can feel the (oh crap) feeling. But yet I drove at a very slow pace and you have no problem. I wasn't going state to state.
But nothing is wrong to say something to the driver or even leave a nice note. Do you remember the Toyota truck pulling the space shuttle? It pulled it with no problem. It was only going 5 MPH but it did it. Would you see it going up a highway? No! I was living on a farm when I did my haul with a over size load. Would I do it again? Yes. Would I drive like a bat out of HHHH? NO.
But nothing is wrong to voice your warning. I wished someone would of told me not to get married to my first wife!
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #6

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
But nothing is wrong to voice your warning. I wished someone would of told me not to get married to my first wife!
Her mama didn't?
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
But, in all fairness, maybe the TV didn't have enough drop on the hitch and it towed that way when empty. I can't imaging the weight of the lumber actually lifting the TV that much as well.... but who knows....
Based on hauling about that much lumber before in my pickup I questimate that it weighed at least 400 lbs with 75% of the weight behind the trailer's single axle. I don't know the tongue weight of the trailer when empty but I'm sure it's a fraction of the aft load. I don't know if the tongue stuck up because of the negative tongue weight or because of a difference in hitch heights but the upward point didn't look healthy. These observations coupled with a short wheel based tow vehicle spelled trouble to me.

I probably already answered my question by posting it here in the first place. My conscience got the better of me for not saying anything when the potential for an accident was clear or at least so I thought. The next time I hope to be a little more patient and kindly offer some friendly advice.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I would make sure I avoided driving anywhere near a flaky looking load setup on the road. Happens surprisingly often; my favorite is the mattress tied to the roof bent 90 degrees when the driver is going 65 mph....

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I don't like it but if I need to get some long lumber home that won't fit in my utility trailer that is exactly how it is loaded. Nose down in the front angled up and resting on the lift gate.

I am driving slower on 2 lane and because one end is jammed into the front edge it does put more weight to the front than you might think. But then my rear gate is almost 2 ft. taller than the sides too. It drops into a drive on ramp so it's extra long.

Laying wood flat and strapping it down with the rear gate off it rides way worse, the wood sticks out further and every bounce I can feel the tongue weight disappear. Really rides much better wedged down in front and sticking up in the back.

My trailer does hitch up level, not nose up so.... little different than what you saw.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if the person needs to move the lumber, and it seems to ride/handle ok to them they won't listen, and if they are part way home they sure won't be able to do anything if you mention it will they? What could they do? Cut the lumber short enough to fit there in the parking lot? In my opinion your mentioning it would not have changed things so no need for a guilty conscience.

I do recall a fellow once telling me my small Oldsmobile was not big enough to tow my large Oldsmobile at a rest stop 3/4 of the way home in the middle of nowhere. I was not offended but did wonder if he expected me to just drop the tow dolly there or what?

On the other hand if the trailer is sitting nose up because the hitch bar does not have enough drop (wranglers sit pretty high) it might be worth mentioning that the load will travel a whole lot better if they get a drop hitch that puts the trailer level or throw some cinder blocks in the front to balance the load to be front heavy. That is just a helpful suggestion for next time with nothing for them to be offended at.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #10

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I stopped once and gave a tiedown strap away just to make myself feel better. The one I remember best was a pickup with a load of 20' 2/6 leaning on the top of the cab-no strap. I backed off just as the wind threw all the wood up and over the back of the truck on to the road. Saw a guy going down the road with a blowup boat on top of his car-driver holding one side and passenger holding the other side. I 'love' living in a resort area!!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Halfway through post #1 I thought the concern was going to be the length of the load that extended off the rear of the trailer and not marked with a red flag. I agree with Bob Miller that saying something may not go well. May be a judgement call after seeing the driver, will he knock you on your butt, stab or shoot you, or accept your advice with thanks. Let the cops handle it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Halfway through post #1 I thought the concern was going to be the length of the load that extended off the rear of the trailer and not marked with a red flag. I agree with Bob Miller that saying something may not go well. May be a judgement call after seeing the driver, will he knock you on your butt, stab or shoot you, or accept your advice with thanks. Let the cops handle it.
LOL - pretty much my thoughts. That's why we have insurance to protect us against idiots. A lawyer once told me " There is no law against being stupid." Superb legal advice!

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ya But....all the insurance and lawyers in the world won't make up for an accident when someone is seriously injured or worse.

The term "Life Insurance" is really "Death Insurance"

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'd let it go, can't fix stupid.. unless children are involved. I would risk my life to save the life of a child. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #15

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I would make sure I avoided driving anywhere near a flaky looking load setup on the road. Happens surprisingly often; my favorite is the mattress tied to the roof bent 90 degrees when the driver is going 65 mph....
I have seen that one MANY times!!!

My wife had one fly off in front of her and land on her windshield.

I wonder - how good of shape is this mattress going to be in after suffering that sort of abuse?
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Don't need to risk your life, if you are reasonably sure the load is unsafe just call the police. Most states have "unsecured" or "improper" load statues. Normally they target commercial vehicles but if someone calls it in they will generally respond.

They can ticket, and/or insist the issue be rectified before allowing the load to move.

If the trailer is going down the road barely under control (we know what sway looks like) or load clearly not secured then make the call. They may not have kids but the people in the other cars on the road may, and some of us grown ups don't heal as well as we used to.

Parked and just looking a little sketchy about how it's loaded is a tougher decision. Like I said in prior post my trailer (10ft) loaded with modest amount of 16 ft. lumber handles fairly decent with lumber propped up on gate and strapped down tight, with flags on lumber where it projects past trailer. Would not tow it at highway speeds but at 50 mph it handles about as well as it does empty.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
A couple of weeks ago we watched a fool leaving Home Depot with two sheets of drywall tied to the roof of his sedan...tied in the middle, yet. He made it about fifty yards beyond the parking lot on the road before both sheets snapped in half and flew off behind him, causing the car behind him to brake quite suddenly. Then a few yards further the two remaining pieces slid off. Didn't even bother to stop. I like to think I would have said something had I seen him in the parking lot, but it likely would have fallen on deaf ears.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #18

Name: David & Sandy
Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Texas
Texas Transportation Code / Code Chapter 725
"Failure to secure a load" A $750.00 fine can be issued in this particular state.
Many other states have similar statutes. I recommend that you not contact the individual and put yourself in conflict . One call to local law inforcement may save you or someone else from death, injury, and damage. Sometime you can fix stupid.

"I haven't traveled everywhere...but it's surely on my bucket list."
David Clinkenbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:43 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
In California, the fine for that starts at a whopping $109.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #20

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Many years ago we were driving on a mountain road and saw little military style Jeep approaching down a long grade toward us. He was about 200 yards from us when he started veering back and forth with increasing severity. We saw a way overloaded utility trailer intermittently jutting out from the jeep at extremely crazy angles. The Jeep's tires were actually lifting off the pavement, and I thought I'd better get off the road. I went onto the shoulder and watched fully expecting the rig to roll over. Somehow he got it reined in and came to a stop. (probably had to change pants) I'll bet he learned how to load a trailer that day, or at least how not to load one! It seems many utility trailers have the axle placed dead center under the box. That invites a person to improperly load it, like that guy in Home Depot. I have built many trailers in my lifetime, and all of them had the axle placed a distance behind the center. The placement was done by the scientific practice of dead reckoning. All of those trailers functioned without ill manners and were intuitively easy to load properly.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote