Should I take out the cook top? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
Should I take out the cook top?

I have the two burner cook top, coleman in my Boler. It works 100%, I even painted it white with high heat paint, looks great. But I never use it. And I mean never. It just creates too much heat. But I was thinking, maybe I would in the fall or spring? But I have a 15' hose that I can connect my outdoor table top coleman to my propane tank and ALWAYS cook outside, not matter what the weather is like. And I think even if it was absolutely super horrible outside, I'd probably just eat granola bars or something. So I'm seriously considering taking it out, but keeping it, because if I sell it, I'll put it back in. But what do you guys think? What have some of you done? I'd like more counter space too, so there's that.
GordM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Maybe you should have used low heat paint

You could take it out, or get a cover. If you've gone a year without it and haven't used it, you're probably not going to.

Regards,

Matt
Old 08-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
We took ours out and if the weather gets to bad we can bring our portable camp stove in. That has not happened yet and I don't think it will
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordM View Post
I have the two burner cook top...in my Boler. It...looks great. But I never use it.

I'm seriously considering taking it out, but keeping it, because if I sell it, I'll put it back in.

What have some of you done?
When I rebuilt my Compact Jr., I left the stove out and put in counter space.

When I tried to sell it that way, none of the lookie-loos wanted a trailer without a stove. So I went to the trouble of getting a stove from someone on this website. Then I showed the trailer to someone just before I installed it, and they told me to leave it out, and bought the trailer.

I think you have a good idea. Take it out, but keep it. You may have to put it back, and you may not...
Old 08-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I like the "Put a cover" on it idea. Have your cake.. eat it too.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
Ya, cover could be okay, but still not quite as practical. I'd rather have my counter top, or cutting board sink into the hole where the stove was, rather than sit on top. I think I might have to take it out.
GordM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
We took ours out of our 13 foot Uhaul and are very pleased with it. The additional counter space is fantastic!. We have a one burner Buxton gas canister stove which we use mostly outside but on occaision it can be used inside if need be. My philosphy is modify your baby to suit your needs and deal with the sale of your trailer when and if it comes to it. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Took our stove out of our 13 after several years of not using it. Redesigned the support pole and used a rubberized tile for the new counter surface. We love it and it fits our camping style much better.+
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We only used our cooktop twice before deciding it just wasn't practical. It generated too much heat & we needed more counter space. We cook outside on the grill or an electric burner & inside we have a Sharp Warm & Toasty (micro/toaster oven combo.) It's all about what works for you. It's a good idea to hang onto it in case you sell the camper one day.
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
In both our ex-Burro and our current Escape we made wooden tops for the stoves, giving us the extra counter space we want, but still the cooking option.
We cook outside 99.9% of the time, but the few times we've cooked inside the weather was horrible and we were happy to be able to cook inside and appreciated the extra heat, in fact when we had our 13' Burro we ran out of battery power in snowy mountain conditions once and could not run the fan of the propane heater - using the cook stove was our only heat.

But it sounds like you've decided, and you know your preferences best! The joy of our little trailers is they can be modified easily to individual needs, and if needs change, adapted back!

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I am a firm believer in have your trailer the way you want it!

But I will say, like Penney we ran into a similar situation and I was sooooooooo thank full for the stove! That was two years ago, the fall after we bought the Casita. And I don't think I have used it since, until this last trip and we had hurricane winds come up after we started dinner. We stuck it out on the grill. But the camp stove was useless so I had to run in and finish the beans etc on the stove. I think having an alternative indoor option is probably a good idea, just for those crazy times when you need to heat up some grub. But as for a full blown stove, whatever suits your camping style.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #12

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
One thing I like about the Jayco popup is the indoor/outdoor stove. No need to carry that extra stove or mess with extra hoses.

Cyndi
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Cyndi,

Make you trailer into your space.

Personally, we went to a bigger cook top and made a cover for it. I also made and installed a cutting board (really useful!) The cover gives us prep space when needed.

We have been in too many camping situations where, even with a canopy, cooking outside was not an option. We really love our 3 burner with an oven.

What ever works for you - Go For It

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
We rarely cook on ours. It has served as an extra burner on a few occasions.
After thinking about this for a while I realized when we do use it. In the spring and fall we do use it to primarily make coffee in the morning or tea at night. That is usually enough to to also take the edge off of a cool trailer.

My opinion matches that of Gina D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
I like the "Put a cover" on it idea. Have your cake.. eat it too.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A number of members are starting to look at their trailers not only for recreation but as a "safe harbor" in time of need. Whether used to outrun a hurricane and wanting a place to call home, or perhaps an earthquake, forest fire... well, you get the idea. I was going to pull all the propane stuff out of my trailer at one time, but have changed my mind. I too may need a safe harbor, and there may not be electric available or the weather could be so knarly that it would be next to impossible to cook outside. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordM View Post
I have the two burner cook top, coleman in my Boler. It works 100%, I even painted it white with high heat paint, looks great. But I never use it. And I mean never. It just creates too much heat. But I was thinking, maybe I would in the fall or spring? But I have a 15' hose that I can connect my outdoor table top coleman to my propane tank and ALWAYS cook outside, not matter what the weather is like. And I think even if it was absolutely super horrible outside, I'd probably just eat granola bars or something. So I'm seriously considering taking it out, but keeping it, because if I sell it, I'll put it back in. But what do you guys think? What have some of you done? I'd like more counter space too, so there's that.
I removed the sink and stove from my 13'scamp.I then installed a counter top
without any modification to the stove cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
camper 010 (Custom).jpg   camper 020 (Custom).jpg  

S. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
[QUOTE=Donna D.;221227 I too may need a safe harbor, and there may not be electric available or the weather could be so knarly that it would be next to impossible to cook outside. YMMV[/QUOTE]

Wise words Donna D.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote